All Hurricanes and Ed Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember that guy, his name escapes me though. I also remember another guy that played baseball that had his likely HOF career ended early because he spoke out about some things. Amazing how their names are lost to history.....
Yeah, I guess it must happen now and then.

Advertisement
Anyone who is as dumb as Brian Smith to think that UM recruiting will be hurt by Ed Reed calling out Del Rio's opinion really should not have a job writing about the Canes or sports because sports is clearly too complicated a subject for him. This not about censorship so much as the Peter principle. This guy Smith is clearly in way over his head. I think a position of assistant to the assistant editor maybe more suited to his level of competence.
I suspect Reed's comments aren't going to move any needles anywhere.

Advertisement
All I know is Ed Reed is the coolest looking dude and the only person who can pull off wearing an orange hat and look good while doing it.. therefore he can say whatever he wants and jack del rio can shut the **** up. So can the dude who wrote whatever article started this thread. That's how I'm looking at the situation and the beer in my hand says I'm rite. carry on.

The baseball player was John Rocker...made some comments about New York subway riders and found himself suspended, traded, and out of baseball in pretty short order. In fairness he also wasn't as good of a pitcher after being traded and may have had elbow/shoulder issues though I'm cloudy on that. Ordinarily a left handed pitcher who can get anyone out probably would stayed around a while longer.

Advertisement
All I know is Ed Reed is the coolest looking dude and the only person who can pull off wearing an orange hat and look good while doing it.. therefore he can say whatever he wants and jack del rio can shut the **** up. So can the dude who wrote whatever article started this thread. That's how I'm looking at the situation and the beer in my hand says I'm rite. carry on.
Ah yes, the text is very impactful...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech especially by cool dudes wearing orange hats, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I just find it ironic that Kaep has been made out to be a villain for taking a knee in protest to the injustices that have plagued my community for centuries, a knee in which a retired Green Beret (Nate Boyer) encouraged him to do, to both make a point about the country allowing injustice, while being respectful to what the flag represents in totality. Per Boyer, kneeling has never been seen as disrespectful, & it was a comprise he felt that could serve both purposes. YET, the most DISRESPECTFUL thing in our democracy’s history took place on Jan. 6, 2 yrs ago, & it’s deemed as a mere “dust up”, w/ a ‘nothing to see here.’ Color me shocked.

Lol; man oh man, what a time to be alive.

I just find it ironic that Kaep has been made out to be a villain for taking a knee in protest to the injustices that have plagued my community for centuries, a knee in which a retired Green Beret (Nate Boyer) encouraged him to do, to both make a point about the country allowing injustice, while being respectful to what the flag represents in totality. Per Boyer, kneeling has never been seen as disrespectful, & it was a comprise he felt that could serve both purposes. YET, the most DISRESPECTFUL thing in our democracy’s history took place on Jan. 6, 2 yrs ago, & it’s deemed as a mere “dust up”, w/ a ‘nothing to see here.’ Color me shocked.

Spent 26 years of my life defending the rights of Americans to protest peacefully. He broke no laws

Advertisement
What did Del Rio say exactly? I've heard references to Jan6 as a dust-up? What TF did he really "tweet"?

Politics has no place in sports period. If anyone wants to have a conversation about that “hero” Floyd or the “insurrection” on January 6th, that’s fine. This is not the place for that. Unfortunately people can’t handle facts and only narratives. You can downvote all you want but after over 20 years in the military and in DC I don’t care. Just please use facts not feelings. I could give a rats **** what you think about politics here just our Canes. That unifies us no matter left or right or color or religion. Feel free to DM me if you want an educated debate on political topics. Inwould be very happy to educate anyone who is willing to learn.

Semper Canes!!!

1655081269422.png

Advertisement

While I disagree with kneeling during the national anthem, what happened to Kaepernick was wrong and uncalled for. He was well within his rights to express his opinion in that manor.

I’m also of the opinion that fining Del Rio for his comment is also ridiculous, and I’m sure he’ll be shunned by the league as well. He’s dumb for even commenting on politics, but it’s his right as well, just like it was Kaepernicks right. I hate how both situations turned out.

Respectfully, Rellyrell, it’s more than an exaggeration to call that the most disrespectful thing in our democracy’s history and you know that. I hate politics and I try to find a happy medium of common sense, but I’d like to hear what you’d have to say about some of the terrible things that came from the BLM protests in some of these cities as it directly relates to Del Rio’s comments. These events were equally as shameful and that was Del Rio’s point. If you believe Kaep was well within his rights as I do, do you believe Del Rio was?

Last edited:

More disrespectful than when congressmen were shot in the capital, or when the capital was bombed?

I think the tough part about these social issues is you have people seeing the events from a different perspective

And we really don’t spend much time with those that can intelligently talk about their “why” with someone else that has a different “why”. Therein lies the ability to have progress

But what actually happens is we don’t think anymore. Everything in this society now is instant. Instant reactions. Instant feelings. Instant “sides”.

There’s no progress with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back