All Hurricanes and Ed Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I Have No Idea Shrug GIF

I guess ed reed had an opinion about jack del rios opinion, and the author of the article questioned if ed reed should have kept his mouth shut.

Can probably refer to this thread

Last edited:
Advertisement
Jack Del Rio msut have recently decided that he doesn’t really like coaching minority athletes by wading into this debate with absolutely no prompting and no one really asking for his opinion. Of course its pretty hard to be a coach in the NFL and not coach a minority.
All that really happened is that Del Rio exposed himself for who he really is. He would have been better off keeping his mouth shut because no good will come of this unless you consider his firing to be some good (I do). More important to me is that I think he a retread, bum of a coach and if he wasn’t white, he wouldn’t even have a job.
Yes I know there are some retread black coaches but once a white coach breaks into the NFL it seems like it takes an act of Congress before someone stops offering him a job.

Advertisement
WTF happened here??

All Hurricanes and UCF (!!) writer Brian Smith posted an article (now deleted) in which he wondered if Reed’s comment on Jack Del Rio could hurt Miami.

It was clearly a manifesto of the writer political views mixed with his hate for Miami.

F*ck Sports Illustrated anyway.

Bonus: the author of that article also liked this tweet.

Basically Reed blasted the 100k fine the Washington ownership* gave Del Rio, saying it was a meaningless fine for a retread coach. He said Saban and Del Rio showed their true colors. I believe his mention of Saban was in reference to Saban insinuating that no top recruit would ever want to play for a HBCU like Jackson State (and get coached by Deion Sanders) over Bama unless the recruit is getting paid.

I Don't really care that he criticized Del Rio but I like that he took shots at Saban.

*I mistakenly said the NFL fined him. Important distinction. I would have a bigger issue with the NFL fining him instead of his actual employer

Last edited:
Advertisement
Animated GIF

Getting tired of people not being allowed or blatantly being discouraged from expressing their opinions
Opinions are given greater opportunity to be made than ever before because of social media. But there is also greater opportunity to criticize an opinion under the exact same right of free speech as the person who presented the original opinion. But free speech has always had consequences, not from the Govt which has no right to curtail free speech, but from the public.

This Board is a great example. As mods, we believe that people should be allowed to present opinions, even unpopular ones, as long as it is done in a tasteful manner. BUT, we also believe that when a poster presents an opinion, he/she better be ready for the blow back. And we believe both the original opinion and the blow back should be protected and given a place to be heard.

Opinions, and the response to opinions are part of the fabric of this company.

Well, some can and some can’t. I am sure you know who’s who.

It makes sense that the "The team formerly known as the Washington Redskins" would have a strict policy in place for management that says employees are prohibited from making any social media posts regarding politics or social issues because it could give ownership headaches. The HC gets paid several million dollars, it's not unreasonable for them to tell a coach "If you want to wade into hot button issues, you are free to resign and post to your hearts content."

Advertisement
All Hurricanes and UCF (!!) writer Brian Smith posted an article (now deleted) in which he wondered if Reed’s comment on Jack Del Rio could hurt Miami.

It was clearly a manifesto of the writer political views mixed with his hate for Miami.

F*ck Sports Illustrated anyway.

Bonus: the author of that article also liked this tweet.

No chance it hurts recruiting.

I agree with Ed Reed. It is literally a slap in the face to all Black players he coaches and any white players to see that there is a major difference with the US capital terrorist riots and the BLM racism protests.

I think you mean figuratively, not literally. No one has been physically slapped.

As I said, I don't see a first amendment issue because Washington ownership can make reasonable restrictions on what employees can say because it could affect the company's profits.

Now outside that employer restriction and just looking at content, I think there is interesting narrative control going on. If you look at history, disputing the results of elections goes back to the beginning of the country. It's happened many times, but the important difference is it was always non-violent b!tching about the results. Personally, I disagree that the election was fraudulent, but I don't think someone who claims it was fraudulent is automatically a racist. What is generally unprecedented is people trying to stop the transfer of power with violence.

I also don't think it is racist to hold the opinion that a thousand or so rioters didn't actually pose a serious threat to democracy and that claiming the country was on teetering on the edge of a coup is a bit of an exaggeration.

Last edited:
No chance it hurts recruiting.
Anyone who is as dumb as Brian Smith to think that UM recruiting will be hurt by Ed Reed calling out Del Rio's opinion really should not have a job writing about the Canes or sports because sports is clearly too complicated a subject for him. This not about censorship so much as the Peter principle. This guy Smith is clearly in way over his head. I think a position of assistant to the assistant editor maybe more suited to his level of competence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back