All because of our kicking....

Advertisement
You said kicking wasn't in the top 5 of our problems. I responded to that, challenging you to name 5 bigger problems than kicking.

I'll give you coaching, sure. OL is probably a bigger problem, so I'll give you that one too.

There, I've given you 2 out of 5. Name 3 more.

Or continue to deflect and thereby admit that you made a ridiculous claim. Up to you. It's already clear you're a meathead so you have nothing to gain or lose by responding or not responding.
Play calling......WRs constantly dropping balls......QBs making horrible reads/inaccurate throws......red zone offense..........all reasons the kicker shouldnt be kicking FGs. A guy that is on the field for all of 4-6 plays a game is not the problem. And I didnt even get to the defense

You’re not a good football team if you’re consistently relying on the kicking game

True1.gif

Field goal kicking is at the root of 3 of our losses. I simply cannot fathom not recruiting a kicker with only one on the roster who was as bad as Baxa was.

Call Kornblue, get some names, offer a half dozen of their kids and see if you can get one or two to accept.

For crying in a bucking ****ett. Its just simple program management.

We literally have no one on staff that can even help Baxa with kicking. We have 2 db coaches, 3 lb coaches...and NOOOOO true special teams coach after our special teams was literally terrible for 2 years straight. Manny is a jack ***.....

Dude gave the gig to Patke....its a shame dude is on staff and coaching 2 **** players in a glorified safety position, Rumph is corching up cbs, and Banda is making mojito's.

I went to see a div 2 program this weekend that legitmately is more well coached/organized than our staff by a large margin

Advertisement
...we are blowing up cause we can't make fing fg's. amazing. I know we have deeper issues but if we had made all these fg's chit would be way different...

this **** ***** talking about the missed kicks!! We should have beaten the breaks off all those teams based off our recruiting classes alone! Field goals!! **** outa here with that ****! That’s like blaming refs for not making calls. None of those games should come down to that ****, ever!

Play calling......WRs constantly dropping balls......QBs making horrible reads/inaccurate throws......red zone offense..........all reasons the kicker shouldnt be kicking FGs. A guy that is on the field for all of 4-6 plays a game is not the problem. And I didnt even get to the defense

Play calling is coaching. We already counted that. This is max half a point.

WRs are not constantly dropping balls. As of a game or two ago, our drops were actually down from last year. I haven't seen the data since then but I can't imagine it's changed dramatically in that time. Osborn has played well, JT is one of our higher rated players, and Harley/Pope/Wiggins are all improved from last year. Even if this is a mediocre group, it doesn't come close to being historically awful, like our placekicking does. 0 points.

QBs making horrible reads/inaccurate throws is simply not true. We're on pace for 27 TDs and 8 INTs, completing 2/3rds of our passes and averaging 280 yards a game. Like WR, QB play hasn't been amazing, but it's been consistently pretty decent, unlike last year. They've made some horrible reads/inaccurate throws, but they're not doing it at a particularly high clip. 0 points.

Red zone offense...meh, I can give you this one. I think it's sort of double counting with our OL, and I think it's the type of situational football that change pretty quickly, but fine. 1 point.

Care to continue with the defense? You're at 3.5 out of 5. I don't think there's even an argument anywhere on that side of the ball - every position group has been at least decent and has reasons for optimism for the future, unlike kicking, which has been the worst in the entire country.

But hats off for coming this far. 3.5 out of 5 is honestly higher than I thought you would get.

Play calling is coaching. We already counted that. This is max half a point.

WRs are not constantly dropping balls. As of a game or two ago, our drops were actually down from last year. I haven't seen the data since then but I can't imagine it's changed dramatically in that time. Osborn has played well, JT is one of our higher rated players, and Harley/Pope/Wiggins are all improved from last year. Even if this is a mediocre group, it doesn't come close to being historically awful, like our placekicking does. 0 points.

QBs making horrible reads/inaccurate throws is simply not true. We're on pace for 27 TDs and 8 INTs, completing 2/3rds of our passes and averaging 280 yards a game. Like WR, QB play hasn't been amazing, but it's been consistently pretty decent, unlike last year. They've made some horrible reads/inaccurate throws, but they're not doing it at a particularly high clip. 0 points.

Red zone offense...meh, I can give you this one. I think it's sort of double counting with our OL, and I think it's the type of situational football that change pretty quickly, but fine. 1 point.

Care to continue with the defense? You're at 3.5 out of 5. I don't think there's even an argument anywhere on that side of the ball - every position group has been at least decent and has reasons for optimism for the future, unlike kicking, which has been the worst in the entire country.

But hats off for coming this far. 3.5 out of 5 is honestly higher than I thought you would get.

You sound just like dIAZ......keep moving the goal posts to fit your narrative......also the fact you think the defense is good. keep living life with the orange and green glasses and being happy with mediocre team with mediocre results. By the way why are we missing so many FGs......same kicker as last year.....If i remember correctly he did pretty good last year........what changed........ COACHING????????

Advertisement
“If we could just make kicks we could get some 3 point plays.” Is the equivalent of “ if you just grab em by the foot And take them down they wouldn’t be scoring.”- Granny Herbert 2006.

That’s football in a nutshell. Score points. Stop the other team from scoring points. Man up on the guy in front of you. You’re trying to take his soul. Miami seems to be drifting away from this philosophy.

You sound just like dIAZ......keep moving the goal posts to fit your narrative......also the fact you think the defense is good. keep living life with the orange and green glasses and being happy with mediocre team with mediocre results. By the way why are we missing so many FGs......same kicker as last year.....If i remember correctly he did pretty good last year........what changed........ COACHING????????

Or the kid had a mental breakdown after missing the kick vs. UF, then the wheels came off after missing the kick vs. UNC.

It does not seem likely that the kid was a decent kicker last year, and then with new coaching, forgot how to kick from less than 30 yards. He's been kicking for years. He's not missing hard kicks. He's missing XPs and 25 yarders. Literally all he has to do is get the ball off the ground and have it go straight. How can that be coaching? Is the kid so incompetent that he can't remember how to make an XP or 25 yard kick on his own?

The defense is still pretty good. Top 25 in many categories, and in most/all of the important ones. SP+, which adjusts for opponents and field position, has the defense at 20 overall. FPI is down on the defense (middle of the pack nationally and in the conference), but at this point SP+ seems to be the superior system. All-in-all, the defense is obviously way down from last year, but overall everything suggests the defense is still pretty good, likely top 25 caliber.

On the other hand, you did point out "also the fact you think the defense is good". Great argument there. Very compelling. It was so close to being a coherent sentence it's making me reconsider my viewpoint.

Or the kid had a mental breakdown after missing the kick vs. UF, then the wheels came off after missing the kick vs. UNC.

It does not seem likely that the kid was a decent kicker last year, and then with new coaching, forgot how to kick from less than 30 yards. He's been kicking for years. He's not missing hard kicks. He's missing XPs and 25 yarders. Literally all he has to do is get the ball off the ground and have it go straight. How can that be coaching? Is the kid so incompetent that he can't remember how to make an XP or 25 yard kick on his own?

The defense is still pretty good. Top 25 in many categories, and in most/all of the important ones. SP+, which adjusts for opponents and field position, has the defense at 20 overall. FPI is down on the defense (middle of the pack nationally and in the conference), but at this point SP+ seems to be the superior system. All-in-all, the defense is obviously way down from last year, but overall everything suggests the defense is still pretty good, likely top 25 caliber.

On the other hand, you did point out "also the fact you think the defense is good". Great argument there. Very compelling. It was so close to being a coherent sentence it's making me reconsider my viewpoint.

LOL...using the old stats against the JV schedule/offenses which must mean its a good defense. How many missed tackles last week? How many blown coverage this season? How many times are people out of position? Like I said, defense is overrated just like it has been since dIAZ got here.
You keep saying one kicker but its more than one kicker or are you too blind to see we have used 2. So how come both cant make simple kicks? Maybe its the coaching?
So what if the kid make those 2 kicks.....all that would do is mask the problem and give Blake a reason to give an extension to HC in his 1st year. You probably think Radio was a good HC too. Your opinion is your opinion no matter how wrong it is. You would probably be happy winning the Coarstal every year and then getting a beat down in the ACC championship by Clemson. That would get us all the second tier/plan B kids. dIAZ will unfortunately be the HC for 2 more years. Maybe by then he turns it around but I doubt it. He hired his buddies and didnt fire the ones that needed to be. You probably think Banda is a good coach too. I didnt need to finish that sentence about the defense cause you are to ignorant to try to explain that the defense is not good either.

LOL...using the old stats against the JV schedule/offenses which must mean its a good defense. How many missed tackles last week? How many blown coverage this season? How many times are people out of position? Like I said, defense is overrated just like it has been since dIAZ got here.
You keep saying one kicker but its more than one kicker or are you too blind to see we have used 2. So how come both cant make simple kicks? Maybe its the coaching?
So what if the kid make those 2 kicks.....all that would do is mask the problem and give Blake a reason to give an extension to HC in his 1st year. You probably think Radio was a good HC too. Your opinion is your opinion no matter how wrong it is. You would probably be happy winning the Coarstal every year and then getting a beat down in the ACC championship by Clemson. That would get us all the second tier/plan B kids. dIAZ will unfortunately be the HC for 2 more years. Maybe by then he turns it around but I doubt it. He hired his buddies and didnt fire the ones that needed to be. You probably think Banda is a good coach too. I didnt need to finish that sentence about the defense cause you are to ignorant to try to explain that the defense is not good either.

"using the old stats against the JV schedule/offenses which must mean its a good defense"...in my argument I referred to, and explicitly called out that I was referring to, a rating system (SP+) that adjusts for "JV schedule/offenses".

"How many missed tackles last week? How many blown coverage this season?"...why are you asking ME for statistics? You're the one arguing that the defense isn't good. It is on YOU to provide the evidence that backs that up. We live in the information age. Go find some (non-anecdotal) evidence and then come back. A rhetorical question, that you do not know the answer to, is not a substitute for evidence.

I'll save you the trouble on the first question, though. 29 missed tackles per PFF. Previously, we had been under 10 in every game IIRC. So we're averaging somewhere around 10-12 per game. Is that a lot? I have no idea. I doubt you do either. (Hint: the way you would determine whether that is a lot is by comparing to other teams. You probably also need to adjust for tackling opportunities, assuming that data is available. GT ran the ball a lot last week, so I would imagine we had a lot of tackling opportunities in that game.)

I gave you the data suggesting the defense is still good. Not great, but good. You gave me a whole lot of gobbledygook. If you make a coherent argument I will change my mind.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This team has a TON of issues, from the AD, to the HC and all the way down the roster.

But if you can't even acknowledge the kicking game has been directly responsible for multiple losses this season, then you are so blinded by hate there's no discussion to be had.

This team has a TON of issues, from the AD, to the HC and all the way down the roster.

But if you can't even acknowledge the kicking game has been directly responsible for multiple losses this season, then you are so blinded by hate there's no discussion to be had.

Not defending the staff in any way, but if this team had, say, a B+ kicker....Miami is probably 6-1 and you'd be surprised how few threads/comments there'd be about the organization and performance of the staff.

Miami is a LONG way off from being a truly elite team. No doubt about it. But today, 90% of the posts on this site are crying about how the staff is in over their heads, are clueless, and all need to be fired. Fair enough. However, again, with literally ONE kid....a B+ kicker....the team is somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-1 and I GUARANTEE YOU that there's a lot less posts about the cluelessness of the staff. Not that the issues still wouldn't be there, but NOOOOOOBOOODY would be talking about them. Just like they weren't in 2017. Just interesting to think about as you sift through the tears around here.

Not defending the staff in any way, but if this team had, say, a B+ kicker....Miami is probably 6-1 and you'd be surprised how few threads/comments there'd be about the organization and performance of the staff.

Miami is a LONG way off from being a truly elite team. No doubt about it. But today, 90% of the posts on this site are crying about how the staff is in over their heads, are clueless, and all need to be fired. Fair enough. However, again, with literally ONE kid....a B+ kicker....the team is somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-1 and I GUARANTEE YOU that there's a lot less posts about the cluelessness of the staff. Not that the issues still wouldn't be there, but NOOOOOOBOOODY would be talking about them. Just like they weren't in 2017. Just interesting to think about as you sift through the tears around here.

Agree.

I don't think its an unfair thread. If we make extremely high percentage FG, then the perception is a little different.

That being said, like OP said, we have other massive issues and the product otherwise is absolutely unacceptable.

Advertisement
Back