Alex Collins likely not to be in this class

Advertisement
Woodley is not on Collins' level. I don't care if we have Walter Payton's ghost starting at RB. Being in South Florida, you should get at least one dynamic RB per year. It's like recruiting a QB every year, except we don't have to go very far.

That. I like Collins, but this seems to be a deep crop of RBs this year and theres a reason we've been offering so many. Woodley is not next in line but we will be taking at least one if not two backs this year.

It's true that Woodley doesn't have an offer but he should have one. Collins is more dynamic and has a greater variety of skills but you need diversity at positions like RB and WR. Surprised you guys haven't figured this out...we haven't had a good short-yardage back/closer in a long time. When's the last time a Cane back pushed the pile? Watch LSU and you'll see what I'm looking for.

What I have definitely figured out is that being a good short yardage back doesn't necessarily mean you're "big" or "can move the pile." Matt Forte is 6' 2" 220 and is a garbage short yardage back. Curtis Martin was a 5' 10ish" 195-205 pounder, but was insanely good in short yardage. Our best convertor last season? None other than a 195ish pound 3rd stringer named Clements. I don't need to watch LSU. When push comes to shove, they put in the guy with the best burst to convert. Woodley's style is still in question. He can bull over HS kids, but does he have the acceleration to be that short yardage guy at the next level? Can he do it on an elite level? I don't know. You certainly don't pass up on a guy (Collins) whose inside running/slashing is reminiscent of Clinton Portis' HS video.

I agree you dont need to get Woodley for short yardage

I dont remember having problems getting short yardage when our RBs were Edge, James Jackson, Portis, McGahee, or Gore.
Give me a stud RB(Duke and Collins) and I'll get that yard.

Woodley would commit right away. He went to Junior day looking for an offer. We are still early in the process so who knows who ends up at here at RB. Maybe Alex is just looking for some love?

I am with Lu here...being a short yardage back is NOT about size at all. It is about acceleration, leg movement, pad level. Curtis Martin, as Lu mentioned, was a great, maybe as great as they come, short yardage back. ****, you could have him in 3rd and 4th and medium (~5) and you could hand it off to Martin and he'd get a first down. Best running back running the draw I ever did see. On the flip side, Jerome Bettis was NOT a good short yardage back.

Players like Isaac Redman was a good short yardage runner...Brandon Jacobs...NOT a good short yardage runner.

I am with Lu here...being a short yardage back is NOT about size at all. It is about acceleration, leg movement, pad level. Curtis Martin, as Lu mentioned, was a great, maybe as great as they come, short yardage back. ****, you could have him in 3rd and 4th and medium (~5) and you could hand it off to Martin and he'd get a first down. Best running back running the draw I ever did see. On the flip side, Jerome Bettis was NOT a good short yardage back.

Players like Isaac Redman was a good short yardage runner...Brandon Jacobs...NOT a good short yardage runner.

Who said anything about size? I love just about everything about Duke but he's not a physical runner inside, and forcing him into that role would wear him down significantly. I like Collins' cutback ability but he hasn't shown the power to wear down defenses late in the game and punch it in from the goal line. I'm looking for someone who can "close" games when we have a lead by picking up 1st downs out of jumbo packages. I'm looking for someone who can push the pile in short-yardage situations.

Woodley is listed at 6' 210. He's a big back but he's not massive like Jacobs, nor does he run like a plodding big back type anyway. Woodley has great vision and feet in the hole and is a capable receiver. He's the ideal short-yardage back and closer because he can do all of the requisite roles: push the pile, find the cutback lane, catch the ball off play action, pass block, etc. I don't know why you guys are so anti-Woodley but so far all I've seen is straw man arguments to try to oppose me. I don't want us to end up like UF under Meyer where he was blinded by talent to the point where he had no power backs and couldn't run pro-style sets.

Advertisement

I am disappointed that you guys keep mentioning Curtis Martin. Not that he wasn't great but Frank Gore would be my example.

Collins>>>Woodley and it aint close IMO.

I am disappointed that you guys keep mentioning Curtis Martin. Not that he wasn't great but Frank Gore would be my example.

Collins>>>Woodley and it aint close IMO.
I'm trying to figure out where is it not close at? I have seen both play and both highlights. The competition in Dade County is way more better than that in Broward. I don't understand why some of you morons can't see that. I am not knocking AC but put Dades top backs in Broward in see what they do. 2,000 yards easily!!!!!!

Ive always found the best way to get my point across is to call the opposing viewpoints "morons". Thats always a good mature way to get a discussion going.

Woodley hasnt carried the load for his own HS team. He was part of 3-headed monster. Let's see how he does this year.

Still think Collins is alot better not as close as some of you think. If people think Collins is the same type of back as Duke I'll take that all day.

We need to get back to the years of Edge, James Jackson, Portis, McGahee, and Gore.

Advertisement
Woodley hasnt carried the load for his own HS team. He was part of 3-headed monster. Let's see how he does this year.

Still think Collins is alot better not as close as some of you think. If people think Collins is the same type of back as Duke I'll take that all day.

We need to get back to the years of Edge, James Jackson, Portis, McGahee, and Gore.

I definitely agree with this. Just look at Duke. Yeah he was really good his junior year but he looked a lot different as a senior. He ran stronger and more violent. I am very interested to see these guys as seniors.

If Collins shows the potential this year to be the kind of back that I described then he's definitely more valuable than Woodley.

If Collins shows the potential this year to be the kind of back that I described then he's definitely more valuable than Woodley.

Thats fair. My opinion speaks more to how highly I think of Collins than a knock against Woodley. I wouldnt mind Woodley one bit, just Collins looks like he could be a real star in the making.

Advertisement
Back