Alex Collins likely not to be in this class

With the few scholarships we have, and the possibility we lose some of those thanks to the NCAA, I just don't see the need for a rb this year.

I'd like to see more Linemen, TE's, one quarterback, and maybe one wide receiver. We have to stock up our line and find some TE's.

Advertisement
Woodley is not on Collins' level. I don't care if we have Walter Payton's ghost starting at RB. Being in South Florida, you should get at least one dynamic RB per year. It's like recruiting a QB every year, except we don't have to go very far.

We need linemen, tightends and safety. Everyone else is filler this year.

I respectfully disagree with your perspective of "fillers." Are there positions of focus? Sure. Are there positions and players you simply do not pass up? That's the difference between a reactive and a proactive program.

Advertisement
How can anyone say we don't need RBs??

Besides the fact Collins is a stud... Next year we only have Clements, Duke, and Dillard. MAYBE Dallas Crawford (if he isn't moved to slot WR or back to defense)... None of which have proven anything. Yeah, but we don't need running backs...

Besides the fact Collins is a stud... Next year we only have Clements, Duke, and Dillard. MAYBE Dallas Crawford (if he isn't moved to slot WR or back to defense)... None of which have proven anything. Yeah, but we don't need running backs...

Yup. You can never have enough running backs and looking ahead to 2014 is a mistake Golden wont make.

Dude has had grade flags since before jump street.

Love this dudes tape and running style, but I just cant see a guy in his situation getting into Miami. He is the type that goes to FSU, WVU, Clemson..

Advertisement
Woodley is not on Collins' level. I don't care if we have Walter Payton's ghost starting at RB. Being in South Florida, you should get at least one dynamic RB per year. It's like recruiting a QB every year, except we don't have to go very far.

That. I like Collins, but this seems to be a deep crop of RBs this year and theres a reason we've been offering so many. Woodley is not next in line but we will be taking at least one if not two backs this year.

Just saying, with the dire needs we have at safety, TE, and linemen - and let's not forget we have shot with Olsen at QB, and then for 2014 we have a good shot at getting Sony Michel.

Few scholarships, and our lines need help, we are really short on TE's, and all the talk is about our continued lack of safeties. We have a lot of speed coming on board in weeks, so I'm not really feeling the desperation to take a rb, when I feel the desperation on our lines, at safety, and TE's.

Of course, with me, the closest alligator is the biggest.

Collins can go wherever he wants as long as we get Lorenzo Woodley.

Not as good of a prospect as Collins though.

Depends what you're looking for. Collins cuts nicely and is skilled overall but we already have Duke Johnson, and then Sony Michel and maybe Dalvin Cook in '14. Woodley is the ideal power back for our offense. Only back we need this year imo.

Collins and Duke are different backs. Collins is probably the most complete back in the '13 class. Woodley might bring the power but isn't that what Dilliard can do?

we have to continue to recruit this kid hard....and beat the **** out of FSU when we play them.

Advertisement

Yea and not to mention Collins looks like a stud. I would be really disappointed if we lose this guy. To me he looks like way more of an every down guy than Duke Johnson. Him and Duke would be a nice 1-2 punch

Yea and not to mention Collins looks like a stud. I would be really disappointed if we lose this guy. To me he looks like way more of an every down guy than Duke Johnson. Him and Duke would be a nice 1-2 punch

Exactly what I was thinking.

Who said we don't need RBs? We need RBs but we also need diversity. Dillard is a big back but he's not necessarily a power back. That's where Woodley comes in.

Collins and Duke are different backs. Collins is probably the most complete back in the '13 class. Woodley might bring the power but isn't that what Dilliard can do?

Collins is more conventional but Duke is still capable of being an every down back. Collins would need to take away carries from Duke but I don't see that happening...Duke is a much better player. I don't think Dillard has the power to be a true power back. Woodley is a much more physical player and a better athlete.

What I'm proposing is bringing in Woodley as a (major) upgrade to Dillard as opposed to sandwiching Collins between 2 classes with much better backs ('12 and '14). That's why I don't care about Collins much. If we had more spots then I'd be less choosy.

That. I like Collins, but this seems to be a deep crop of RBs this year and theres a reason we've been offering so many. Woodley is not next in line but we will be taking at least one if not two backs this year.

It's true that Woodley doesn't have an offer but he should have one. Collins is more dynamic and has a greater variety of skills but you need diversity at positions like RB and WR. Surprised you guys haven't figured this out...we haven't had a good short-yardage back/closer in a long time. When's the last time a Cane back pushed the pile? Watch LSU and you'll see what I'm looking for.

Advertisement

It's true that Woodley doesn't have an offer but he should have one. Collins is more dynamic and has a greater variety of skills but you need diversity at positions like RB and WR. Surprised you guys haven't figured this out...we haven't had a good short-yardage back/closer in a long time. When's the last time a Cane back pushed the pile? Watch LSU and you'll see what I'm looking for.

What I have definitely figured out is that being a good short yardage back doesn't necessarily mean you're "big" or "can move the pile." Matt Forte is 6' 2" 220 and is a garbage short yardage back. Curtis Martin was a 5' 10ish" 195-205 pounder, but was insanely good in short yardage. Our best convertor last season? None other than a 195ish pound 3rd stringer named Clements. I don't need to watch LSU. When push comes to shove, they put in the guy with the best burst to convert. Woodley's style is still in question. He can bull over HS kids, but does he have the acceleration to be that short yardage guy at the next level? Can he do it on an elite level? I don't know. You certainly don't pass up on a guy (Collins) whose inside running/slashing is reminiscent of Clinton Portis' HS video.

Last edited:
A comparison I've heard for Alex Collins as a RB is Marshawn Lynch. Similar style runners and similar build and athleticism (he can easily carry 220 on his frame and is already 200+).

With that said, I really want him in this class and consider him the best 2013 RB in FL

We need linemen, tightends and safety. Everyone else is filler this year.
That is exactly how we ended up with the depth issues we have with our roster. We were always playing catch up and loading up on one position while at the same time ignore another that particular cycle. **** sometimes we would down right fail at recruiting positions of dire need(QB and CB), and then have to spent 7 ships just for one position. We definitely have some positions of need that must be addressed over others such as S and TE, but we need to start having rounded and balanced classes or we will always be behind the eight ball somewhere on the field, killing our chances of returning to the promised land. Look how many kids we have had drafted in the last two years, and look at our record, you can have all conference players all over the field but your team will suck if certain units have players starting as seniors that couldnt start at Wake.

Advertisement
Back