Alex Collins interview with Manny

jerzeycane

All-ACC
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2013/01/16/17/46/Ewwhf.So.56.mp3

Give a lengthy rundown of what is talked about. First of all, great dude man. Extremely thorough and will be a great ambassador for The U should he choose to attend. Well spoken and well thought. Rare for a kid so young.

- Never thought he would get a scholarship, let alone the amount of attention he's received
- Wishes he had more time to make a decision
- Recruiting process has been difficult because he has pro/cons about each school and it's been tough to sort out
- First wanted to major in Criminal justice, but now is looking into broadcasting
- Talks to God, mom and coach about recruiting process
- Mentions Miami as the first Division 1 school to offer him
- Says Eddie Gran was a plus to FSU, but won't affect his decision and that FSU was #1 when he was there
- Was surprised at Gran leaving FSU and as a result everyone is even at this point
- Florida stepped in in November and offered
- only negative about Miami was the sanctions but it doesn't play much into his decision
- Wants to be able to envision himself at Miami for the next 4 years and that is why he is making his visit
- Likes the opportunity to play with Duke and mentioned "taking Duke's spot" (in a joking manner)

About 19 Minutes into the interview Coach Gatewood comes into the room and Manny asks Alex about Wisconsin and Gatewood takes over and answers the question for him. Saying that Alex has always wanted to be a feature back and not in a "RB by committee" and that was always the draw of Wisconsin. Florida and Florida State use the back by committee. Gatewood comes off as a freaking prick and just goes off on a tangent and starts talking and talking and I turned off the interview

BTW, you can hear Manny and Gatewood mouthbreathing in the interview. If you ever seen Gatewood, you know him and Manny are...well...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gatewood comes off as a freaking prick and just goes off on a tangent and starts talking and talking and I turned off the interview

Just confirms what we all suspected. No wonder this kid is totally confused.

Agree that AC comes across as a really thoughtful kid who is doing a lot of soul searching in the process. At one point he talks about having to give up some video game time to do an interview; very innocent the way he talks about himself.

Also agree that the coach really dominates when he jumps in and talks about what Alex wants. The kid was doing fine without the coach. It was coach who pushing the whole idea of being a "feature back".

I thought most important was the fact that Alex had never been out of Florida. Can't help but thinking most folks who have been to both Arkansas and Miami wouldn't have a hard time deciding.

I thought AC came across as an impressive and grounded guy.

Hope Al Golden can nail it down.

"you know what I'm sayin?"

Should have a drinking game where you drink every time one of these kids says that. You'd be comatose in 5 minutes.

Advertisement
just heard the entire interview. This *** clown coach was trying to push Wisconsin all the way. Manny did defend us and said that Duke was not an every down back and Collins agreed that Duke was not an everydown back. LOL. The guy then changed it back to Wisconsin. Said we have Dillard coming up and that Ray Lewis is a RB and will give competition but that Wisconsin has only one feature back and that Monty Ball is gone and that he would be feature back at Wisconsin. What a ******* joke this *** clown. I felt like hittin him in the head with my baseball bat or a 2x4. This guy is pure scum.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Collins is a thinker. Unfortunately, he seems to be chasing his tail at this point. He's over-thinking this **** instead of going with his initial feelings on UM. He's not used to all this attention, and everyone's filling his head with garbage. Shut it down, young buck. Home is where the heart is. Trust your initial instincts.

I listened to the interview and didn't have any problem with anything his coach said.

1) Why is he answering questions when they are being asked to Collins?
2) Why does he seem to find fault with the running back situation everywhere but Wisconsin and presumably Arkansas?
3) Why is he there at the interview in the first place? Do you see Ice running around with 6 and Kirkland?

I listened to the interview and didn't have any problem with anything his coach said.

2) Why does he seem to find fault with the running back situation everywhere but Wisconsin and presumably Arkansas?
3) Why is he there at the interview in the first place? Do you see Ice running around with 6 and Kirkland?

Bad sign that Corch Chubs is such a svengali figure with Collins. Corch Chubs is going full Star 80 on Collins.

Advertisement
Collins is a thinker. Unfortunately, he seems to be chasing his tail at this point. He's over-thinking this **** instead of going with his initial feelings on UM. He's not used to all this attention, and everyone's filling his head with garbage. Shut it down, young buck. Home is where the heart is. Trust your initial instincts.

You should always go with your initial instincts. Like when you're taking a test and you answer a question then become unsure if you were right. More often than not, if you change it, you're making the wrong decision.

You should always go with your initial instincts. Like when you're taking a test and you answer a question then become unsure if you were right. More often than not, if you change it, you're making the wrong decision.

Keep spittin' truth, Artist.

Advertisement
image.jpg

Who knows...

1. AC was asked about Wisky, and his coach relayed a convo they had the day before about it. His coach gave AC an op to jump in. Didn't see any problem with it.
2. I didn't get that impression at all.
3. No clue. How do we know he wasn't asked to be there?

All I got from the whole thing is that the coach was looking out for AC so that he could make the best decision for himself. You guys are paranoid.

Advertisement
Back