Albany transfer QB Reese Poffenbarger commits to Miami

Advertisement
It’s really not. Im not a fan of the take unless it’s in addition to bringing in Tua/Ward or someone else at that level. I don’t have alot of faith in that happening but Overwhelming majority of HS players could never play FCS level football or above. That being said overwhelming majority of FCS could never play major P5 level football.
See, that’s where I’m at. I have absolutely zero issues with bringing this kid in as a second QB IF we had also landed someone on the level of a Ward, Howard, Jefferson, etc. Our two primary goals were to “bring in an experienced and talented QB” and also “raise the competition level in the room.” IMO, we did neither here. Whenever we take a player like this we’re always going to have people that are ok with it, and some that aren’t. I just happen to fall in the latter camp.

All I know is, if this dude ends up being the truth I got dibs on the slogan…

“Poff Poff Pass”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe he’s just been misquoted or it was bad reporting but most of his comments today seem to contradict this.
I think he's been told that we'll continue to pursue Ward and Taulia's waiver. If neither work out, then he's the only transfer we'll take.

But if somehow a plug in starter became available in the spring, I think we'd pursue them if we didn't get Ward or Taulia.

Unlike the many expert talent evaluators on here, I'm simply an idiot fan. I'll wait until he actually does something on the field, in a Hurricanes jersey, before drawing any conclusions
logic police.jpg

Watch your six, brother...

Advertisement
you watched Albany? dont lie either
I watched them play Idaho and South Dakota State in the playoffs because I’m a weirdo, mostly came away thinking he’s a nice player and I actually had him as one of my guys I’d target as a developmental QB2 when he jumped in the portal. I had him in the same category as Dante Moore, Malachi Nelson, Maiava, etc…not a guy I think is a no brainer to lead us next season in the make or break third season, but someone id like to add to the room in the right circumstance.

That said I know I’m not a ******* expert and I’m not making any predictions one way or the other. These FCS kids are a crapshoot projecting upward.

Case in point: I thought Hooker and Bo Nix were both mediocre and Jamie Newman might be a Heisman guy at Georgia. I’ve made this point a million times on here…with the portal QBs it’s all about system fit, and we’ve got tons of examples to back that up now.

I don’t trust Dawson to turn this kid into an instant impact starter, which is why I think we need Baby Tua or someone like that for this to be a great take. But I’m also not writing it off as some joke of a take either.

I watched them play Idaho and South Dakota State in the playoffs because I’m a weirdo, mostly came away thinking he’s a nice player and I actually had him as one of my guys I’d target as a developmental QB2 when he jumped in the portal. I had him in the same category as Dante Moore, Malachi Nelson, Maiava, etc…not a guy I think is a no brainer to lead us next season in the make or break third season, but someone id like to add to the room in the right circumstance.

That said I know I’m not a ******* expert and I’m not making any predictions one way or the other. These FCS kids are a crapshoot projecting upward.

Case in point: I thought Hooker and Bo Nix were both mediocre and Jamie Newman might be a Heisman guy at Georgia. I’ve made this point a million times on here…with the portal QBs it’s all about system fit, and we’ve got tons of examples to back that up now.

I don’t trust Dawson to turn this kid into an instant impact starter, which is why I think we need Baby Tua or someone like that for this to be a great take. But I’m also not writing it off as some joke of a take either.
so you watched two games?

i didnt say the kid sucked. i just said TVD would light up fcs competition too.

hard pass on little tua. i dont want any hawaiian QB near the city of miami or in the tri-county area.

He's a gamer, pure and simple. He has better pocket awareness than TVD or JB. Nice wheels to extend plays and a decent arm. Not sure where the hate is coming from?
The hate comes from the fact that people fall in love with their guy then trash anyone else that comes along. Cam Ward was "the guy" and so that's that. Heat fans are even worse. They trashed the Jaquez pick because Heat twitter fell in love with some injured kid from Gonzaga. Don't even remember his name. I can't even tell you the scrubs they wanted instead of Bam and Herro. It's just how fans are, especially online fans who just feed off each other. I guarantee you half the people here trashing Poffo haven't watched a minute of tape.

Advertisement
Advertisement

If you haven’t listened do yourself a favor and take the time. I know there is some obvious concern about this guy’s talent but after listening to this, there won’t be any concern about his drive or heart.

A lot of us questioned TVD’s passion last year, don’t think we need to worry about that with Reese, easy kid to root for.

See, that’s where I’m at. I have absolutely zero issues with bringing this kid in as a second QB IF we had also landed someone on the level of a Ward, Howard, Jefferson, etc. Our two primary goals were to “bring in an experienced and talented QB” and also “raise the competition level in the room.” IMO, we did neither here. Whenever we take a player like this we’re always going to have people that are ok with it, and some that aren’t. I just happen to fall in the latter camp.

All I know is, if this dude ends up being the truth I got dibs on the slogan…

“Poff Poff Pass”
IMG_0136.jpeg

Advertisement
Back