Alabama's dominance in context: Death of CFB

I think Alabama has top 3 programs in history. Nick saban is top 3 coach in history. Tell me I'm wrong

Funny thing about ole nick is ive never seen him dominate like this on an equal playing field (the NFL). He's a great CEO but what I do hold against him his success is contingent on being able to break rules left and right and have his buddy Emmett look the other way

It isn't as much about Emmett looking the other way as much as the program and university are a 100% behind the program. That was something we didnt have, all the leaks at Bama are minor and everything is air tight, that hasn't been the case with Miami, ever.

Hence Non-Top 50 Academic public schools have dominated. Unfortunately, the formula of wealthy parents sending junior to a university for a third rate education and shelling big $$ for it doesn't work anymore...More parents want to keep their $$$ and have Uncle Sam give junior or more likely now, sissy a big loan to pay off and they both want a quality education. Private schools are at a huge disadvantage and Emmert (who turned down the presidency of private Vanderbilt despite the promise of huge $$$$) favors them.

Advertisement
In a way I agree with what you're saying. But it is a shame that there has to be new rules to stop Alabama domination.

If baseball didn't have the luxury tax, it would probably be the Yankees or Red Sox playing the Cubs. Jerry Jones would double or triple the amount he plays his players compared to Jacksonville without a salary cap. It's bad enough with rich teams as it is: The Cubs bought their GM and manager.

CFB has no Athletic Department spending caps, has no limits on HC and (as holycane pointed out) assistant salaries, no limits on what you can spend on lockeroom facilities, weight rooms or the people who buy them...Oregon sucks this year, but do you think their big recent run had NOTHING to do with Phil Knight? When then HC Chip Kelly was interviewed on the national radio Dan Patrick Show, he called knight "the owner" of the Ducks.

The NCAA's reason for existence is to enforce a competive balance. If the current rules don't do this (I have shown they don't), then they need to be changed or the public will, as with a lot of things these days, realize "the fix is in" and lose interest, killing the sport.

I know and understand. I'm just saying you know you are a dominant team when they want to change the rules of college football to try to "even the playing field. That would probably be a good thing. I mean a school like Miami has the money to spend but they choose not to. Why can they not spend the money and make the commitment to do anything and everything just like Bama does. But Miami does not. Is that Alabama's fault?

I think Alabama has top 3 programs in history. Nick saban is top 3 coach in history. Tell me I'm wrong

Funny thing about ole nick is ive never seen him dominate like this on an equal playing field (the NFL). He's a great CEO but what I do hold against him his success is contingent on being able to break rules left and right and have his buddy Emmett look the other way

I mean I don't like the guy. But no matter how he got them the man has a national championship ring on his thumb. Anything else is just BS in my book

Well isn't that the unique thing about college football? You don't have to be the best coach coaching wise to be the best coach. I don't call that BS. It's a legitimate critique. For simpletons. Yes you are correct. But for us that actually played and study the game, it makes a big difference how you win and lose

bammer is dominant, but they are not memorable. they are just a boring machine that just beats everyone. Saban is the true star of their dynasty.

They will never have what Miami did. The renegade program that won with 3 different head coaches. They were flashy, and captured the imagination. had real superstars that would go on to have tremendous NFL careers.

With bammer you just fall asleep midway through the 3rd when you realize there's nothing interesting that will happen.

and they will lose this year in the playoff. Maybe to a team like Washington that has the playcalling style to upset them.

I mean I don't like the guy. But no matter how he got them the man has a national championship ring on his thumb. Anything else is just BS in my book

Well isn't that the unique thing about college football? You don't have to be the best coach coaching wise to be the best coach. I don't call that BS. It's a legitimate critique. For simpletons. Yes you are correct. But for us that actually played and study the game, it makes a big difference how you win and lose

Who is in your best coach category? Jj schnelly butch Erickson ?

Advertisement
You can't outspend a university that is the biggest sports entity in a populated football mad state with big money people. Impossible. If you want CFB to feature Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan every year in the playoff, don't change a thing.

It isn't as much about Emmett looking the other way as much as the program and university are a 100% behind the program. That was something we didnt have, all the leaks at Bama are minor and everything is air tight, that hasn't been the case with Miami, ever.

So Emmett is not looking the other way when bama players report they received impermissible benefits, players they recruited publicly reported being offered impermissible benefits, bama players taking a banned substance on film, before an SEC championship game, having a store on campus selling the players signed memorabilia after the whole manziel fiasco, and all of their players driving cars provided by a booster there. ESPN even had the gall to run that stupid special about derrick Henry where they reported Henry's borderline homeless dad bought the car for his son. Should I continue?

Let's just start with the part where I said Emmett isn't looking the other way, oh wait I never said that. Look Bama's commitment to winning is the key here. Of course the NCAA is looking the other way, but they still keep it tight. We would have been tight if not for snitches.

Who is in your best coach category? Jj schnelly butch Erickson ?

Big JJ. Idk, it's hard to compare coaches from different decades as the game changes so much. As far as more modern day coaches, I like Pete Carroll and harbough. They seem to really adapt schemes to whatever set of players they're given. Not saying Saban isn't a very good coach. But I've seen countless games where he has been out coached and the other team just got worn down. That's another thing that is fishy about that program. The players just look unnatural. Some of the transformations of their players from coming outta high school to going to the NFL are unbelievable.

So Emmett is not looking the other way when bama players report they received impermissible benefits, players they recruited publicly reported being offered impermissible benefits, bama players taking a banned substance on film, before an SEC championship game, having a store on campus selling the players signed memorabilia after the whole manziel fiasco, and all of their players driving cars provided by a booster there. ESPN even had the gall to run that stupid special about derrick Henry where they reported Henry's borderline homeless dad bought the car for his son. Should I continue?

Let's just start with the part where I said Emmett isn't looking the other way, oh wait I never said that. Look Bama's commitment to winning is the key here. Of course the NCAA is looking the other way, but they still keep it tight. We would have been tight if not for snitches.

Well you definitely downplayed it. And yes I'm not disagreeing with you that most small football towns do a better job of keeping things in house. Still there are too many examples of inequality in the NCAA's approach to sanctioning teams.

Advertisement
In a way I agree with what you're saying. But it is a shame that there has to be new rules to stop Alabama domination.

If Emmert and his paid-off clowns weren't so obviously biased toward these big state schools and especially the $EC, there wouldn't be a need for such regulations. Only the threat of a large number of other NCAA members leaving that corrupt to the core organization will make a difference. CFB is boring as **** right now and there is no longer any chance of smaller programs competing for top recruits and therefore having a chance in the playoff system. Private schools, especially ones like Miami are under constant threat of long, drawn out investigations that kill their programs even when no substantial wrongdoing is found in the end. It's ridiculous.

Best run in the modern era and they will continue it till saban leaves....mad jealous man cause sfla is helping the.

Advertisement
Give credit where it's do re Alabama. Do agree with NFL and Roger Goodell. I think Bama runs football like it's own division with mutual autonomy by the Admin. They don't pretend that education, social discipline and restrictive team rules important. They understand what college football is and they provide the necessities, facilities and whatever, to maintain their competitive advantage. I don't accuse them of cheating just being better at the things that matter to recruits. A players skills mean more to them than some minor legal or social violation. They don't let supposed moral values supersede their true purpose.

Best run in the modern era and they will continue it till saban leaves....mad jealous man cause sfla is helping the.

Whom from soflo are you referring to? I can only think of Ridley and cooper off the top of my head. I think that how sfl making bama great belief is misguided

Advertisement
Even more recently I heard they had Blake sims participate for their scout team in preparation for Texas a&I'm. A player who is no longer with the team is allowed to participate in practices. How is this allowed?

Alabama is winning national championships on neutral sites, not 3 times on their own home field. That alone is massive benefit of a doubt and separation.

Let's see how far they take it. Right now I more or less assume the title to them every season. Ohio State last season had remarkable talent level -- superior to Alabama's -- but the moronic decision to bench Cardale Jones in favor of J.T. "Little Game" Barrett essentially ruined the college football playoffs and immensely softened Alabama's path. Barrett managed a laughable 2.9 yards per attempt against a dreadful Michigan State pass defense last year, while losing at home as 14 point favorite. Yesterday Barrett averaged 5.7 yard per attempt as Ohio State failed as 18 point favorite at Penn State.

I will say that Penn State has very good pass defense this season. As always, that category dictates outcomes but is basically ignored by the sporting media.

Advertisement
Back