Alabama's dominance in context: Death of CFB

That’s my thought. The overspending, staleness, and corruption will run into headwinds of rising tuition, the next recession, and injury issues. A lot of schools will ultimately tap out and use the injury issue as the main excuse.
And also tv ratings across all sports are falling, so TV contracts in coming years won’t be the billion dollar deals like they were.

Advertisement
And also tv ratings across all sports are falling, so TV contracts in coming years won’t be the billion dollar deals like they were.
Right Epi. The fallback will be streaming services, and there’s no guarantee that those schools or conferences will get the same revenue as before.

I think Alabama has top 3 programs in history. Nick saban is top 3 coach in history. Tell me I'm wrong
My grandmother could do dam near as well with the bama bag game unchecked. I'll NEVER overlook it's influence and results in recruiting and on the field.

I think what the NCAA needs to do is have NCAA officials that get serious evaluation and do away with conference officiating. We've been the victim too many times. In a bowl game if we get Big 12 forget winning and Cherry was so biased for years against us we knew we would have problems any game he officiated. I believe Big 12 did the Fl game...

Advertisement
Yes, I am selfishly Bumping this again. Since I wrote my original missive over four years ago, what has happened in CFB as it concerns the who is champion?

- 2017 Alabama beat Georgia for the CFP Crown. The CFP was Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Clemson

- 2018 Clemson beat Alabama for the CFP Crown. The CFP was Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame

- 2019 LSU beat Clemson for the CFP Crown. The CFP was LSU, Clemson, OSU, and Oklahoma

- 2020? Alabama, Clemson, OSU, and Notre Dame look to be the favorites.. It would go to form, i.e. $$$ talks

COVID has only accelerated the process and laid bare the startling funding problems affecting most D1 programs. Trust me, many university money people are gladly cancelling games at the hint of COVID, saving on stadium operation or travel costs. Additionally, as I have mentioned in other posts, even traditional powers such as Michigan and USC are seeing other parts of their university be the big drivers of prestige and $$$ generation. Aunt Becky's daughter was FAKING being an athlete, just for the status of getting into USC and working her way into a BFA or Annenberg BA. Michigan has top programs in most disciplines. Heck, the PAC 12 has schools where football is considered pretty much a nuisance now (Cal, Colorado, Wazzu come to mind). Glad Northwestern spent some money on their football program...Ever seen their giant new Business School campus? What will Minnesota do to replace the TCF Stadium Parking Revenue that helps pay the debt on the stadium? Raise the 12.50 per semester fee even higher?...For online classes!?!

Even OSU is in an athletic department budget hole this year, with all the advantages of a state school with no peer in Ohio. Sure, they can cut other sports thanks to their position, but can you imagine a school like Rutgers or Maryland reducing women sports? The media black eye would quick and painful.

So just like four years ago, we keep having the same teams and the same issues. The CFP has made ESPN $$$ but even their suits mouthpiece, Kirky Boy from Centerville, is now questioning the CFP model...Translation: Even the suits in Bristol (and Disney HQ in Cali) are worried about fan fatigue and disintrest and he dutifully takes up their new narrative. Problem is, without Athletic Department spending caps, to limit HC salaries, assistant salaries, locker room facilities, weight rooms, "consultants," recreation facilities, specialty food and dorms for players only, the institutions with the booster commitment and administrative support for all these trappings will continue to be the only ones succeeding in CFB. That is, if no course correction happens, until it dies.

Last edited:
It will never change it's big money game. Cfb will never be the same it will always be an SEC power with a few OSUs and Clemson's. Those schools want to win and will sell their kids to win. The miami's and USC's days are over. Pay for elite talent or lose

Yes, I am selfishly Bumping this again. Since I wrote my original missive over four years ago, what has happened in CFB as it concerns the who is champion?

- 2017 Alabama beat Georgia for the CFP Crown. The CFP was Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Clemson

- 2018 Clemson beat Alabama for the CFP Crown. The CFP was Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame

- 2019 LSU beat Clemson for the CFP Crown. The CFP was LSU, Clemson, OSU, and Oklahoma

- 2020? Alabama, Clemson, OSU, and Notre Dame look to be the favorites.. It would go to form, i.e. $$$ talks

COVID has only accelerated the process and laid bare the startling funding problems affecting most D1 programs. Trust me, many university money people are gladly cancelling games at the hint of COVID, saving on stadium operation costs or travel costs. Additionally, as I have mentioned in other posts, even traditional powers such as Michigan and USC are seeing other parts of their university be the big drivers of prestige and $$$ generation. Aunt Becky's daughter was FAKING being an athlete, just for the status of getting into USC and working her way into a BFA or Annenberg BA. Michigan has top programs in most disciplines. Heck, the PAC 12 has schools where football is considered pretty much a nuisance now (Cal, Colorado, Wazzu come to mind). Glad Northwestern spent some money on their football program...Ever seen their giant new Business School campus? What will Minnesota do to replace the TCF Stadium Parking Revenue that helps pay the debt on the stadium? Raise the 12.50 per semester fee even higher?...For online classes!?!

Even OSU is in athletic department budget hole this year, with all the advantages of a state school with no peer in Ohio. Sure, they can cut other sports thanks to their position, but can you imagine a school like Rutgers or Maryland reducing women sports? The media black eye would quick and painful.

So just like four years ago, we keep having the same teams and the same issues. The CFP has made ESPN $$$ but even their suits mouthpiece, Kirky Boy from Centerville, is now questioning the CFP model...Translation: Even the suits in Bristol (and Disney HQ in Cali) are worried about fan fatigue and disintrest and he dutifully takes up their new narrative. Problem is, without Athletic Department spending caps, to limit HC salaries, assistant salaries, locker room facilities, weight rooms, "consultants," recreation facilities, specialty food and dorms for players only, the institutions with the booster commitment and administrative support for all these trappings will continue to be the only ones succeeding in CFB. That is, if no course correction happens, until it dies.
Well said. There are 6-8 programs which spend 2-4x as much as the other 120+ schools. We fit into the 2x category so we have a chance every 5 years if we get a little lucky and spend our resources smarter than we have been.

NCAAF has turned into MLB.

Advertisement
Well said. There are 6-8 programs which spend 2-4x as much as the other 120+ schools. We fit into the 2x category so we have a chance every 5 years if we get a little lucky and spend our resources smarter than we have been.

NCAAF has turned into MLB.

It will never change it's big money game. Cfb will never be the same it will always be an SEC power with a few OSUs and Clemson's. Those schools want to win and will sell their kids to win. The miami's and USC's days are over. Pay for elite talent or lose

My premise is that if it doesn't change, it will die. The suits have seen the ratings and have the market research. The fatigue of seeing the same teams in the CFP every year is weakening interest. The CFP has devalued the bowls to the point of schools realizing they are not worth the payouts they provide if balanced against the costs. The trend is for athletes to now forego a meaningless bowl game to protect their draft status and their teammates understand this decision. Old deep pocket boosters in fields such as energy and agri-business, who graduated from land grant U are dying off (Pickens) or soon to be (OSU's Wexner is 83, Michigan's Ross is 80, the Frost's are in their 80s also) and their heirs want the $$$. New age billionares are looking for social impact investing and definitly not something like football, with its CTE issue. Do you think Oregon will be a power in the years after Phil Knight goes to the big waffle sole in the sky? So the big money will start going away for more and more programs. As SevenNseven alluded to, most P5 programs are like Football League teams promoted to the Premier League...They are quickly relegated back to their also ran status because they can't compete on cost grounds.

A sport with only 6-8 teams having a legit shot at a championship will soon be a dead sport.

I was thinking about how all the historically dominant schools would mostly cherry pick their state first and supplement outside of that... it'd be nothing to see a Clemson OL feature all player from SC. But Clemson & Bama & OSU & Oklahoma & UGA are cherry picking the country. Its table scraps for many schools elsewhere.

Advertisement
We were caught in a perfect storm of program killers .... two back to back serious NCAA investigations that bled the program to near death; cursed with a meddling libby Prez who used the program to promote her social engineering PC crap; hired the worst ADs who in turn blundered through the worst hiring spree of loser Head coaches; aforementioned Prez left behind a bunch of SJWs entrenched in the Athletic Dept who don't care two hoots about winning as long as their social engineering agenda is propogated throughout the entire athletic program...

We are dead...

Last edited:
We will be back. We have a great recruiting class coming in. Manny will continue to shore up weak spots.

CFB has become far less interesting as you know every year that the most likely winners of the MNC are Bama, Clemdump & OSU. CFB was great in the 80s and 90s when pretty much all of these schools had realistic shots at winning the MNC:

• Miami
  • Notre Dame
  • Michigan
  • FSU
  • Penn State
  • OSU
  • Florida
  • Oklahoma
  • Nebraska
  • Tennessee
  • Colorado (had some really good teams)
  • Washington (was stout in early 90s and split a title with us)
  • Alabama

Satan is doing it by cheating (allegedly) more than anyone else in every aspect of the game & because he has rabid fan & booster support as well as support from the Admin...but mostly it's the cheating (with full air cover from the corr_pt NCAA which always protects the Somebody Else Cheating Conference. They occasionally throw one of the weak sisters of the poor under the bus at the bottom of the league for "optics" and/or because Baga wants them taken out but otherwise the protect the Golden Goose tremendously (because they have the annual $1 billion contract with the TV networks). Funny how that works.

Satan didn't exactly show the NFL how much of a superior coach he is (X&Os or otherwise). He was mediocre at best in the NFL and didn't even really fit there. He's succeeding because his massive cheating (allegedly) is enabled by his rabid hick supporters and covered up by the crook_d NCAA.

Advertisement
We will be back. We have a great recruiting class coming in. Manny will continue to shore up weak spots.

CFB has become far less interesting as you know every year that the most likely winners of the MNC are Bama, Clemdump & OSU. CFB was great in the 80s and 90s when pretty much all of these schools had realistic shots at winning the MNC:

• Miami
  • Notre Dame
  • Michigan
  • FSU
  • Penn State
  • OSU
  • Florida
  • Oklahoma
  • Nebraska
  • Tennessee
  • Colorado (had some really good teams)
  • Washington (was stout in early 90s and split a title with us)
  • Alabama

Satan is doing it by cheating (allegedly) more than anyone else in every aspect of the game & because he has rabid fan & booster support as well as support from the Admin...but mostly it's the cheating (with full air cover from the corr_pt NCAA which always protects the Somebody Else Cheating Conference. They occasionally throw one of the weak sisters of the poor under the bus at the bottom of the league for "optics" and/or because Baga wants them taken out but otherwise the protect the Golden Goose tremendously (because they have the annual $1 billion contract with the TV networks). Funny how that works.

Satan didn't exactly show the NFL how much of a superior coach he is (X&Os or otherwise). He was mediocre at best in the NFL and didn't even really fit there. He's succeeding because his massive cheating (allegedly) is enabled by his rabid hick supporters and covered up by the crook_d NCAA.
Saying that Bama only wins because they cheat is false. Everyone at the top does it, everyone has bag men, everyone pays players money. Its certainly not that.

Saying that Saban is not good when it comes to Xs and Os is... I mean, what in the **** are you on about. Even the NFL part is not true, Saban was the DC of a Cleveland Browns team that was considered a Super Bowl contender before ultimately getting moved because of debts and Art Modell being a cuck. About half of the coverages that the Patriots play have been designed by Saban and Belichick vists him annualy for advice (and Sabans wife apparently is a good cook).

The reason why Saban went from Miami to Alabama is a) because his medical staff gave Drew Brees a red flag on his throwing shoulder and b) because Saban got paid to restore a historic football program. Has zero to do with a lack of Xs and Os.

Imagine winning that many championships although you cant coach. Sure, bud. Sure.

I don’t care about the totality of college football, only this []_[]. Blue chippers is truly the only determining metric between winning a national championship and watching someone else doing it from the comfort of your living room. It’s a simple number. The team that wins the national championship must have 50% or more of its roster filled with true consensus four stars. Each university is allowed 25 kids a year and 85 total on the roster. There’s things like red shirts, the transfer portal and attrition that play a role into determining that final number in addition to recruiting class. From where we stood upon Manny’s arrival two seasons ago as our head coach, it should take approximately three cycles of elite (the average of the classes comprised of 65% 4+ stars or greater) classes to not only reach this number, but be able to maintain it going forward. That number, plus a quarterback, reliable kicking game and good coaching should take us back into the mix. We as a result of proximity to those kids and their ability to play at home where their families can watch them play in person gives us an equally unfair advantage that compares to those money schools. It’s worked before and it’s working again now. The only thing that’s ever stopped us from winning since South Florida has become the most fertile recruiting ground in college football is the NCAA. A coach that can recruit, hire elite assistants and has the political savvy to prevent them from ruining it for us, is as important as anything mentioned above. We’re VERY VERY close. You all lament our two loss season. I’ll enjoy the beating the teams we’re supposed to and locking up a top ten class with 11 area blue chippers, the best kicker in the country and the #18 overall recruit, a QB, in the espn 300. It’s happening, like it or not.

Last edited:
If baseball didn't have the luxury tax, it would probably be the Yankees or Red Sox playing the Cubs. Jerry Jones would double or triple the amount he plays his players compared to Jacksonville without a salary cap. It's bad enough with rich teams as it is: The Cubs bought their GM and manager.

CFB has no Athletic Department spending caps, has no limits on HC and (as holycane pointed out) assistant salaries, no limits on what you can spend on lockeroom facilities, weight rooms or the people who buy them...Oregon sucks this year, but do you think their big recent run had NOTHING to do with Phil Knight? When then HC Chip Kelly was interviewed on the national radio Dan Patrick Show, he called Knight "the owner" of the Ducks.

The NCAA's reason for existence is to enforce a competive balance. If the current rules don't do this (I have shown they don't), then they need to be changed or the public will, as with a lot of things these days, realize "the fix is in" and lose interest, killing the sport.
Been saying it for years.

D1P5 needs to install a total program spending cap or just allow the ultra-rich programs to form their own super league.

I suspect that day (one or other) is coming.

Been saying it for years.

D1P5 needs to install a total program spending cap or just allow the ultra-rich programs to form their own super league.

I suspect that day (one or other) is coming.
I suspect the spending cap will occur in the next few years as the financial hit from 2020 sinks in.

Advertisement
Back