Al Golden leaving door open for QB transfer options

It's worrisome that 4 years in AG is still forced to pull guys off the free agent wire to only be here for 1-2 years tops.
Should they be worried in Alabama?

I don't really know what their situation is like. Was David Cornwell even on campus yet to compete this past spring? Maybe with Saban and Jimbos close ties. It was felt that Coker would be a better fit at this point?

Advertisement
Going into year 4, and Golden possibly has no answer for the QB position. Except to bring in a transfer, to shore up his recruiting, and coaching failures. No other way to say it.

I know guys will jump in with the Williams talk. They have him painted as the next Dorsey, but prior to Morris cracking last season. Almost everyone sporting orange, and green. Had the dude painted as a bum.

If Golden, and Coley don't have Olsen, our Crow ready to play. Come the start of the season. It will not be a good look for them. They don't need band aids right now. They need one of their guys. Too look the part @ this position. No young QB is going to want to step into a situation. Where they feel they won't get the coaching, our a chance to shine. Kids today, want to play now.

I don't buy the Kaaya hype like the masses do, but i would rather toss him out to the wolves. Than to bring in some scab. That is running from getting his *** handed to him. By younger cats, being the QB here. It would be one thing. If we were getting Russell Wilson, but that isn't the case.

''I don't buy the Kaaya hype like the masses do, but i would rather toss him out to the wolves''

You have to have big balls to come to Miami and play, fans aren't wolves, they are man eating tigers, lol! Gotta be tough to play in Miami!

It's worrisome that 4 years in AG is still forced to pull guys off the free agent wire to only be here for 1-2 years tops.
Should they be worried in Alabama?

What does this mean? Anyway I actually think they are... That's why they took a flyer on an overhyped back up...

The point is it shouldn't be worry some. Even the great Nick Saban does it. This should be no knock on Golden. Make the am better by whatever means necessary.

I love how none of the blame is being placed on Olsen. I know, he was just getting laid but seriously, if he took the job seriously from day 1 we wouldn't be so worried about the position. But let's continue on with the Golden flamefest...

It is Olsen's fault that he didn't take is frosh year seriously.

It is NOT Olsen's fault that our QB situation is fcuked.

I love how none of the blame is being placed on Olsen. I know, he was just getting laid but seriously, if he took the job seriously from day 1 we wouldn't be so worried about the position. But let's continue on with the Golden flamefest...

How can you agree with the first and think it doesn't apply to the second part? If Olsen came here and was serious about his freshman year he'd be better at this point. So that does have an impact on the current situation.

Apart from Olsen though, Williams tore his ACL and Dewey had to quit due to medical problems. We went and grabbed two pretty good qbs the next recruiting cycle. I really don't think this is a coaching issue, it's a serious case if bad luck. DT depth/impact on the other hand.....

Last edited:
Advertisement

How can you agree with the first and think it doesn't apply to the second part? If Olsen came here and was serious about his freshman year he'd be better at this point. So that does have an impact on the current situation.

Apart from Olsen though, Williams tore his ACL and Dewey had to quit due to medical problems. We went and grabbed two pretty good qbs the next recruiting cycle. I really don't think this is a coaching issue, it's a serious case if bad luck. DT depth/impact on the other hand.....

I think any grown man that is leading a football team, who puts all his eggs in one basket, and that basket is being driven by a drunk teenager, is foolhardy at best. comma

They busted on the Dewey/Crow class. Otherwise QB recruiting has been good

Pretty ****** luck having your Sr starting QB blow his knee in a non contact situation.

I think any grown man that is leading a football team, who puts all his eggs in one basket, and that basket is being driven by a drunk teenager, is foolhardy at best. comma

It seems that you're forgetting that Williams got hurt. And unless he could see into the future I'm not sure what else he could've done. He's recruited 3 top 10 PSQBs 3 years in a row.

It seems that you're forgetting that Williams got hurt. And unless he could see into the future I'm not sure what else he could've done. He's recruited 3 top 10 PSQBs 3 years in a row.

Maybe not have a 5th year Sr. backed up by a RS frosh. Where are the playable sophs and Jr's?

Advertisement
What i am wanting to know from the board. Our guys who feel. With the loss of an unknown in Williams. We need a transfer to come in for the position

Why can programs all across the country. Find non elite QB, and turn them into something fast. Hackenberg, was an elite guy coming out. 5 star kid. In which it isn't really shocking. That he went into PSU, and had success.

I am talking about a kid like John O'Korn. Who was from the area, but went off to Houston. Miss ST, and Arkansas was his biggest offers. Was he just a kid that was missed on by almost everyone? Is Travis Bush just a QB guru?

Why are we having serious issues getting one ready? Jedd did fine in his time here, but it seems. Now under Coley. We are taking a step back too the Nix days. Morris was night and day under the 2. Williams couldn't get on the field unless it was a beat down.

Olsen is just being flooded with "he is the sole blame" for why the position is in question. He may very well be too. i can't say, because i just don't hang out with the dude. Yet what is Coley doing to insure this position was serviceable.

Injuries happen, so the Williams ACL tear. Is something that can plague any team and it does, yearly.

Crow looks like he will only see playing time if the stars align correctly. Olsen has the reigns, but not a full grasp.

Honestly, i am just asking everyone. Why is it, that this program can't field a general. At it's most important position?

Last edited:
What i am wanting to know from the board. Our guys who feel. With the loss of an unknown in Williams. We need a transfer to come in for the position

Why can programs all across the country. Find non elite QB, and turn them into something fast. Hackenberg, was an elite guy coming out. 5 star kid. In which it isn't really shocking. That he went into PSU, and had success.

I am talking about a kid like John O'Korn. Who was from the area, but went off to Houston. Miss ST, and Arkansas was his biggest offers. Was he just a kid that was missed on by almost everyone? Is Travis Bush just a QB guru?

Why are we having serious issues getting one ready? Jedd did fine in his time here, but it seems. Now under Coley. We are taking a step back too the Nix days. Morris was night and day under the 2. Williams couldn't get on the field unless it was a beat down.

Olsen is just being flooded with "he is the sole blame" for why the position is in question. He may very well be too. i can't say, because i just don't hang out with the dude. Yet what is Coley doing to insure this position was serviceable.

Injuries happen, so the Williams ACL tear. Is something that can plague any team and it does, yearly.

Crow looks like he will only see playing time if the stars align correctly. Olsen has the reigns, but not a full grasp.

Honestly, i am just asking everyone. Why is it, that this program can't field a general. At it's most important position?

Olsen or Kayaa haven't played a down of college football yet. We don't know what we have yet.

Penn State was 7-5 last year, 5-5 against BCS teams, and with losses to Indiana and Minnesota. Forgive me for not wanting that kind of "success".

Going into year 4, and Golden possibly has no answer for the QB position. Except to bring in a transfer, to shore up his recruiting, and coaching failures. No other way to say it.

I know guys will jump in with the Williams talk. They have him painted as the next Dorsey, but prior to Morris cracking last season. Almost everyone sporting orange, and green. Had the dude painted as a bum.

If Golden, and Coley don't have Olsen, our Crow ready to play. Come the start of the season. It will not be a good look for them. They don't need band aids right now. They need one of their guys. Too look the part @ this position. No young QB is going to want to step into a situation. Where they feel they won't get the coaching, our a chance to shine. Kids today, want to play now.

I don't buy the Kaaya hype like the masses do, but i would rather toss him out to the wolves. Than to bring in some scab. That is running from getting his *** handed to him. By younger cats, being the QB here. It would be one thing. If we were getting Russell Wilson, but that isn't the case.

2 top 10 QB's and a 5th year senior transfer to hold them over. God, what a coaching failure.

If your two top 10 QBs are not ready to take the ball during their freshman year, then it is a COACHING failure. Having them and the 5th year senior is a recruiting/planning success, not a coaching one. Again, Al the CEO is not bad. Al the coach has everything to prove. The sales pitch was good. The product has not been impressive. We have a redshirt freshmen top 10 coach's son QB recruit who is not ready? What the heck was Al doing last season? Shouldn't someone had been on our franchise QB's rear end making sure he was working hard. Al didn't trust Williams in December and let us get our heads handed to us, so I can't believe he expected him to be good enough in March. But sure enough, there we were and Williams was the best thing since sliced bread.

Listen, Al's biggest achievement so far here is Jed getting stolen by NFL. Finding him gave hope to Al's coaching eye. Olsen is Jed's guy. If he stinks then Jed was not the find we thought and Al has done even less that I thought. Al stole Coley-- a big deal at the time. A year later, our offense sucked all year, BUT we are all excited over Coley's boy.(I love Kaaya too). Al NEEDS Olsen to pan out. He needs to prove that in his second full recruiting cycle he got it right at the biggest position at THE U. He certainly has not proved he could get the second most important position right, we are still waiting for a DT worthy of the name.

FIFY. Seems kinda ridiculous. And more importantly, it's complete conjecture at this point as we're 4 months away from the start of the season.

There are many legitimate complaints against this coaching staff -- DT is an obvious one, LB is a pretty obvious one as well that doesn't get the attention it deserves, IMO. Although most people consider the LT position the second most important position - and he nailed that one with Flowers.

Time will tell, I think this will be the season we find out what Golden is made of, just like Randy in his 4th season after 3 straight years of "trending up".

Manziel and Winston disagree...

Look, I like Golden and I want him to succeed... **** I could hate the man and still want him to succeed because that means we are winning meaningful games. And I don't want to have to rely on a freshman QB either but whose fault is it that we only have freshman ready to step in behind Williams?

His first class he was short on time and by that time most decent QB's are committed ok... I understand that. But the following year he brought in Dewey, Crow and Thompson. Thompson is soley baseball now, ok fine. But he struck out on Dewey and the odds don't look that great for Crow. So the fact that we have to rely on freshman would lie on him.

I didn't like all the excuses the last few years but given the talent level, the gaps in the depth chart, the investigation when he took over... I could buy some of it and give the man more time. But he's had time - he's in the hottest recruiting bed in the country and has had time to build his team the way he wants it and for ***** sake we are in the ACC. It's time to win.

What do Manziel, Winston, and Olsen all have in common? Everyone counted them out, and said they couldn't do it because they were freshmen. So if you wanna bring those anomalies of history up, just remember that nobody believed in them prior to their freshmen year either.

What QB in the class of 2012 would you have liked Golden to bring in? I could list the Rivals top 30 pro-style QB's of the 2012 recruiting class and you'd probably recognize about 3 of them. The only 2012 QB worth a **** was Winston, and he had zero interest in Miami. I'm amazed anyone could actually criticize our 2012 class anyway.

Advertisement
alf is clueless and it shows us that he really isn't ready to be a head coach at a big time program

Penn State was 7-5 last year, 5-5 against BCS teams, and with losses to Indiana and Minnesota. Forgive me for not wanting that kind of "success".

Not a successful season for the true freshman QB. To come in during the summer. Win the job, set 11 PSU freshman records. Set one overall record, and was the Big Ten freshman of the year. Was hardly a successful season for the young man.

It is completely his fault PSU lost those 5 games i guess. Everyone of us would be doing cartwheels. If Olsen, our Kaaya pulled the season he did. Our even the season Korn and Webb had.

It wouldn't be a success to go into the following season. Knowing we had a true player at the position.

Not a successful season for the true freshman QB. To come in during the summer. Win the job, set 11 PSU freshman records. Set one overall record, and was the Big Ten freshman of the year. Was hardly a successful season for the young man.

It is completely his fault PSU lost those 5 games i guess. Everyone of us would be doing cartwheels. If Olsen, our Kaaya pulled the season he did. Our even the season Korn and Webb had.

It wouldn't be a success to go into the following season. Knowing we had a true player at the position.

Ohhh so now you're saying successful for a freshman? This may be Duke's last season..I don't want a successful for a freshman-type season. 7-5 record with most of their wins by the skin of their teeth in a conference much worse than ours...and this gets you excited, huh? Not me.

Advertisement
If Ryan Williams doesn't get hurt this is a moot point. Not to mention teams are constantly scouting regardless of class.

Should never be this many question marks about the #2 guy. Let alone kicker, punter, DT.

Crow is one of Golden's guys no?

look at every school in Florida. if Florida, fl state, ucf, usf, maybe even fau. WHEN YOUR #1 QUATERBACK GOES DOWN YOUR TEAM IS IN TROUBLE, MIAMI IS NO DIFFRENT

Ohhh so now you're saying successful for a freshman? This may be Duke's last season..I don't want a successful for a freshman-type season. 7-5 record with most of their wins by the skin of their teeth in a conference much worse than ours...and this gets you excited, huh? Not me.

His freshman season would be a success for almost any QB. The year he had stat wise. Is right in line. With any QB we have had here at Miami. That was on a championship team.

The difference is. He wasn't on a championship team, and chances are high. That whomever we would have this coming season at the position. Won't be playing on a championship team either.

The QB can't change how our defense performs. He can only control the outcome on his side of the ball. Our QB could have a banner year, and it still wouldn't change the outcome of our defense giving up 500 yards a game.

So you may still be stomping and throwing yourself on the ground. Come the end of the season and it may have nothing to do with the QB/offense.

If Ryan Williams doesn't get hurt this is a moot point. Not to mention teams are constantly scouting regardless of class.

Should never be this many question marks about the #2 guy. Let alone kicker, punter, DT.

Crow is one of Golden's guys no?

look at every school in Florida. if Florida, fl state, ucf, usf, maybe even fau. WHEN YOUR #1 QUATERBACK GOES DOWN YOUR TEAM IS IN TROUBLE, MIAMI IS NO DIFFRENT

We aren't every school in Florida. FFS the absolute joy with which some of you beta's rush to accept mediocrity is astonishing.

His freshman season would be a success for almost any QB. The year he had stat wise. Is right in line. With any QB we have had here at Miami. That was on a championship team.

The difference is. He wasn't on a championship team, and chances are high. That whomever we would have this coming season at the position. Won't be playing on a championship team either.

The QB can't change how our defense performs. He can only control the outcome on his side of the ball. Our QB could have a banner year, and it still wouldn't change the outcome of our defense giving up 500 yards a game.

So you may still be stomping and throwing yourself on the ground. Come the end of the season and it may have nothing to do with the QB/offense.

Morris had pretty similar statistics as Hackenberg last year. Again, I don't consider that success.

Advertisement
Back