Al Golden leaving door open for QB transfer options

Genghis Cane

Chicken Wing Connoisseur
Miami head coach Al Golden says the Hurricanes are more than willing to evaluate various quarterback options by way of transfers, but if the season started this week he feels he has a starter in Kevin Olsen.

“This time of year we always have our eyes open,” Golden said during an ACC coaches conference call Wednesday when asked about the possibility of adding a transfer quarterback to the roster before the fall. Golden said he could not comment on specific names he and his staff may be interested in, due to NCAA rules of course, but Golden’s reluctance to say the quarterback situation is solved was pretty much telling the story.

Ryan Williams suffered an ACL injury during the spring practice schedule that required surgery to repair. Williams was thought to be the likely started heading into the fall, but now he will focus on rehab instead. During the conference call Wednesday, Golden stated Olsen would likely be the starting quarterback to lead the Hurricanes on offense if the decision had to be made right now.

Olsen was given a redshirt season as a freshman in 2013, so he has not seen any playing time since committing to Miami. He brings plenty of potential to the field though a sa highly-rated recruit out of high school. Considered one of the top pro-style quarterbacks from the Class of 2012, Olsen could jump into the starting role this season and help build the foundation for the offense for years to come if all goes well.

Golden said what any coach would probably say in suggesting the staff and team will be comfortable with whoever ends up lining up under center in the fall. Miami opens the 2014 season on the road at Louisville, the first ACC game for the Cardinals.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...en-leaving-door-open-for-qb-transfer-options/

Advertisement
275.gif

I think the article is pretty misleading. That's not to say he isn't leaving the door open for a transfer at the QB position, but I don't think he said anything as conclusory as the article suggests.
Here's the relevant part of the transcription someone posted earlier in another thread:

Q: Are you about to get any senior transfers? We had heard about a kid named Justin Vogel from Florida punting-wise, and if there might be any at the quarterback position, some upperclassmen that don’t have to wait a year to play?
GOLDEN: “This time of year we always have our eyes open and are looking for guys that can help improve our team. We’re clearly not in the situation that we were in a year ago when we were just looking for enough guys to get us going. But I think clearly at this point we’re looking for guys that can improve our team and we’ll evaluate each one of them.
“In terms of certain guys that have already decided they are coming here, until they’re ours and are registered I’m not allowed to comment on them.”

Q: Does that include the quarterback position, or can’t you be specific?
GOLDEN: “Again, I just think in general if there’s a young man out there that is leaving a program for whatever reason and has interest in us, we’re going to examine him, just like we would do for any position. So the quarterback is no different.”

I think the article is pretty misleading. That's not to say he isn't leaving the door open for a transfer at the QB position, but I don't think he said anything as conclusory as the article suggests.
Here's the relevant part of the transcription someone posted earlier in another thread:

Q: Are you about to get any senior transfers? We had heard about a kid named Justin Vogel from Florida punting-wise, and if there might be any at the quarterback position, some upperclassmen that don’t have to wait a year to play?
GOLDEN: “This time of year we always have our eyes open and are looking for guys that can help improve our team. We’re clearly not in the situation that we were in a year ago when we were just looking for enough guys to get us going. But I think clearly at this point we’re looking for guys that can improve our team and we’ll evaluate each one of them.
“In terms of certain guys that have already decided they are coming here, until they’re ours and are registered I’m not allowed to comment on them.”

Q: Does that include the quarterback position, or can’t you be specific?
GOLDEN: “Again, I just think in general if there’s a young man out there that is leaving a program for whatever reason and has interest in us, we’re going to examine him, just like we would do for any position. So the quarterback is no different.”

I agree just wanted to post and get everyone's feedback

Advertisement
It's worrisome that 4 years in AG is still forced to pull guys off the free agent wire to only be here for 1-2 years tops.

Please pitch in here but I really believe the single most important thing that can take Olsen that next step is maturity.

Greater maturity leads to better focus in practice and the film room and meetings. It sets an example and makes it easier to lead because people trust in you. All that carries into game day and the decisions he makes.

He has all the physical tools.

I just really would like to see Golden stand behind his guy. That's it, Kevin is the guy. Make sure he knows both you and Coley got his back. Demand the most from him but show him you have his back. That is one big worry off his back.

It's worrisome that 4 years in AG is still forced to pull guys off the free agent wire to only be here for 1-2 years tops.
If Ryan Williams doesn't get hurt this is a moot point. Not to mention teams are constantly scouting regardless of class.

If Ryan Williams doesn't get hurt this is a moot point. Not to mention teams are constantly scouting regardless of class.

Should never be this many question marks about the #2 guy. Let alone kicker, punter, DT.

Crow is one of Golden's guys no?

Advertisement
Going into year 4, and Golden possibly has no answer for the QB position. Except to bring in a transfer, to shore up his recruiting, and coaching failures. No other way to say it.

I know guys will jump in with the Williams talk. They have him painted as the next Dorsey, but prior to Morris cracking last season. Almost everyone sporting orange, and green. Had the dude painted as a bum.

If Golden, and Coley don't have Olsen, our Crow ready to play. Come the start of the season. It will not be a good look for them. They don't need band aids right now. They need one of their guys. Too look the part @ this position. No young QB is going to want to step into a situation. Where they feel they won't get the coaching, our a chance to shine. Kids today, want to play now.

I don't buy the Kaaya hype like the masses do, but i would rather toss him out to the wolves. Than to bring in some scab. That is running from getting his *** handed to him. By younger cats, being the QB here. It would be one thing. If we were getting Russell Wilson, but that isn't the case.

I guess the Dewey/Crow class didn't work out but the next 2 with Olsen and then Kaaya/Rosier is **** good.

Going into year 4, and Golden possibly has no answer for the QB position. Except to bring in a transfer, to shore up his recruiting, and coaching failures. No other way to say it.

I know guys will jump in with the Williams talk. They have him painted as the next Dorsey, but prior to Morris cracking last season. Almost everyone sporting orange, and green. Had the dude painted as a bum.

If Golden, and Coley don't have Olsen, our Crow ready to play. Come the start of the season. It will not be a good look for them. They don't need band aids right now. They need one of their guys. Too look the part @ this position. No young QB is going to want to step into a situation. Where they feel they won't get the coaching, our a chance to shine. Kids today, want to play now.

I don't buy the Kaaya hype like the masses do, but i would rather toss him out to the wolves. Than to bring in some scab. That is running from getting his *** handed to him. By younger cats, being the QB here. It would be one thing. If we were getting Russell Wilson, but that isn't the case.

2 top 10 QB's and a 5th year senior transfer to hold them over. God, what a coaching failure.

Advertisement

2 top 10 QB's and a 5th year senior transfer to hold them over. God, what a coaching failure.

I think the failure comes in the experience gap between the 3 QB's you reference in your post.

If your two top 10 QBs are not ready to take the ball, then it is a COACHING failure. Having them and the 5th year senior is a recruiting/planning success, not a coaching one. Again, Al the CEO is not bad. Al the coach has everything to prove. The sales pitch was good. The product has not been impressive. We have a redshirt freshmen top 10 coach's son QB recruit who is not ready? What the heck was Al doing last season? Shouldn't someone had been on our franchise QB's rear end making sure he was working hard. Al didn't trust Williams in December and let us get our heads handed to us, so I can't believe he expected him to be good enough in March. But sure enough, there we were and Williams was the best thing since sliced bread.

Listen, Al's biggest achievement so far here is Jed getting stolen by NFL. Finding him gave hope to Al's coaching eye. Olsen is Jed's guy. If he stinks then Jed was not the find we thought and Al has done even less that I thought. Al stole Coley-- a big deal at the time. A year later, our offense sucked all year, BUT we are all excited over Coley's boy.(I love Kaaya too). Al NEEDS Olsen to pan out. He needs to prove that in his second full recruiting cycle he got it right at the biggest position at THE U. He certainly has not proved he could get the second most important position right, we are still waiting for a DT worthy of the name.

If your two top 10 QBs are not ready to take the ball during their freshman year, then it is a COACHING failure. Having them and the 5th year senior is a recruiting/planning success, not a coaching one. Again, Al the CEO is not bad. Al the coach has everything to prove. The sales pitch was good. The product has not been impressive. We have a redshirt freshmen top 10 coach's son QB recruit who is not ready? What the heck was Al doing last season? Shouldn't someone had been on our franchise QB's rear end making sure he was working hard. Al didn't trust Williams in December and let us get our heads handed to us, so I can't believe he expected him to be good enough in March. But sure enough, there we were and Williams was the best thing since sliced bread.

Listen, Al's biggest achievement so far here is Jed getting stolen by NFL. Finding him gave hope to Al's coaching eye. Olsen is Jed's guy. If he stinks then Jed was not the find we thought and Al has done even less that I thought. Al stole Coley-- a big deal at the time. A year later, our offense sucked all year, BUT we are all excited over Coley's boy.(I love Kaaya too). Al NEEDS Olsen to pan out. He needs to prove that in his second full recruiting cycle he got it right at the biggest position at THE U. He certainly has not proved he could get the second most important position right, we are still waiting for a DT worthy of the name.

FIFY. Seems kinda ridiculous. And more importantly, it's complete conjecture at this point as we're 4 months away from the start of the season.

There are many legitimate complaints against this coaching staff -- DT is an obvious one, LB is a pretty obvious one as well that doesn't get the attention it deserves, IMO. Although most people consider the LT position the second most important position - and he nailed that one with Flowers.

Time will tell, I think this will be the season we find out what Golden is made of, just like Randy in his 4th season after 3 straight years of "trending up".

Advertisement
I think with a little bit of logical thinking one can asses just how difficult it is to A:manage a roster and B: fix a pretty Fvcked up roster once you get it that way. I am ok listening to guys complain about the DT issue, but to hammer on the qb situation is fairly lame. We brought in a couple of guys that didn't work out. However I doubt we were getting much else in Olsens class because other guys knew that he was 'the guy' for that class for us. And this past class was a great haul of qbs. The class prior we got crow, Dewey left, and Thompson went to baseball. But to ***** about bringing in three qbs is kind of lame. This conversation is not even taking place if a guy does not tear a knee ligament in a non contact drill. And if Olsen had been taking care of business instead of throwing away his red-shirt year and was truly trying to take someones job it would have showed in the spring. I would bet Olsen himself would say if he thought he would be in this position right now he would have worked much harder last year to be better prepared. Just my opinion....

And I do not think he will go get a guy. He will ride it out with Olsen and Kaaya and the job will be RW's as soon as he is ready.

That's what happens when you recruit under the threat of sanctions for 3 years. No QB worth his weight would have committed to play under those uncertain conditions.
But yeah lets not take that into consideration when coming up with dumb comments.

Advertisement
Back