Al Golden leaving door open for QB transfer options

It's worrisome that 4 years in AG is still forced to pull guys off the free agent wire to only be here for 1-2 years tops.

It's just like taking a JUCO essentially. It's tough to rely on young guys on the DL which is where we have needed most of them, and unfortunately we seem to have missed on many of the impact guys we were going after.

Advertisement
I love how none of the blame is being placed on Olsen. I know, he was just getting laid but seriously, if he took the job seriously from day 1 we wouldn't be so worried about the position. But let's continue on with the Golden flamefest...

I would be more annoyed if he wasn't leaving the door open for transfers - at any position.

Some of you guys are comical when it comes to coach hate. I don't give a **** who the coach is as long as they win. We are not doing that at a high enough level for me, but I don't feel a personal hatred for Al Golden that you guys exude to a point of both comedy and unreasonableness.

Dynasty - if you do not respond with a picture of Butch I will be extremely disappointed.

Would anyone be against the following:

1. Removing dead-weight from the roster (CROW), and
2. Replacing an elder-statesman (Williams) with an elder-statesman (QB X) for at least backup.

I don't get why this is such a crazy idea. The projected starter is out, you're left with a bunch of freshman with no experience. Worst case scenario is you bring in the transfer and let him be the backup.

Last edited:
Going into year 4, and Golden possibly has no answer for the QB position. Except to bring in a transfer, to shore up his recruiting, and coaching failures. No other way to say it.

I know guys will jump in with the Williams talk. They have him painted as the next Dorsey, but prior to Morris cracking last season. Almost everyone sporting orange, and green. Had the dude painted as a bum.

If Golden, and Coley don't have Olsen, our Crow ready to play. Come the start of the season. It will not be a good look for them. They don't need band aids right now. They need one of their guys. Too look the part @ this position. No young QB is going to want to step into a situation. Where they feel they won't get the coaching, our a chance to shine. Kids today, want to play now.

I don't buy the Kaaya hype like the masses do, but i would rather toss him out to the wolves. Than to bring in some scab. That is running from getting his *** handed to him. By younger cats, being the QB here. It would be one thing. If we were getting Russell Wilson, but that isn't the case.

Don't want to comment on anything you said because your entire post is a garbled mess of spelling and punctuation that is almost completely indecipherable. Sure hope you are not a UM alum.

Advertisement
Would anyone be against the following:

1. Removing dead-weight from the roster (CROW), and
2. Replacing a elder-statesman (Williams) with an elder-statesman (QB X) for at least backup.

I don't get why this is such a crazy idea. The projected starter is out, you're left with a bunch of freshman with no experience. Worst case scenario is you bring in the transfer and let him be the backup.

It's not a crazy idea at all, in fact it makes sense. But certain people have to make it out as some sort of failing so they can continue with their silly attacks on the staff.

Nobody's a bigger Golden critic than myself...but he's doing the right thing by scouring the earth for 1-2 year stopgap.

Olsen's not ready. Kid's got a lot of talent but he'll easily cost us a couple of games this year. I'm still not convinced he beats out Kaaya.

Going into year 4, and Golden possibly has no answer for the QB position. Except to bring in a transfer, to shore up his recruiting, and coaching failures. No other way to say it.

I know guys will jump in with the Williams talk. They have him painted as the next Dorsey, but prior to Morris cracking last season. Almost everyone sporting orange, and green. Had the dude painted as a bum.

If Golden, and Coley don't have Olsen, our Crow ready to play. Come the start of the season. It will not be a good look for them. They don't need band aids right now. They need one of their guys. Too look the part @ this position. No young QB is going to want to step into a situation. Where they feel they won't get the coaching, our a chance to shine. Kids today, want to play now.

I don't buy the Kaaya hype like the masses do, but i would rather toss him out to the wolves. Than to bring in some scab. That is running from getting his *** handed to him. By younger cats, being the QB here. It would be one thing. If we were getting Russell Wilson, but that isn't the case.

2 top 10 QB's and a 5th year senior transfer to hold them over. God, what a coaching failure.

If your two top 10 QBs are not ready to take the ball during their freshman year, then it is a COACHING failure. Having them and the 5th year senior is a recruiting/planning success, not a coaching one. Again, Al the CEO is not bad. Al the coach has everything to prove. The sales pitch was good. The product has not been impressive. We have a redshirt freshmen top 10 coach's son QB recruit who is not ready? What the heck was Al doing last season? Shouldn't someone had been on our franchise QB's rear end making sure he was working hard. Al didn't trust Williams in December and let us get our heads handed to us, so I can't believe he expected him to be good enough in March. But sure enough, there we were and Williams was the best thing since sliced bread.

Listen, Al's biggest achievement so far here is Jed getting stolen by NFL. Finding him gave hope to Al's coaching eye. Olsen is Jed's guy. If he stinks then Jed was not the find we thought and Al has done even less that I thought. Al stole Coley-- a big deal at the time. A year later, our offense sucked all year, BUT we are all excited over Coley's boy.(I love Kaaya too). Al NEEDS Olsen to pan out. He needs to prove that in his second full recruiting cycle he got it right at the biggest position at THE U. He certainly has not proved he could get the second most important position right, we are still waiting for a DT worthy of the name.

FIFY. Seems kinda ridiculous. And more importantly, it's complete conjecture at this point as we're 4 months away from the start of the season.

There are many legitimate complaints against this coaching staff -- DT is an obvious one, LB is a pretty obvious one as well that doesn't get the attention it deserves, IMO. Although most people consider the LT position the second most important position - and he nailed that one with Flowers.

Time will tell, I think this will be the season we find out what Golden is made of, just like Randy in his 4th season after 3 straight years of "trending up".

Manziel and Winston disagree...

Look, I like Golden and I want him to succeed... **** I could hate the man and still want him to succeed because that means we are winning meaningful games. And I don't want to have to rely on a freshman QB either but whose fault is it that we only have freshman ready to step in behind Williams?

His first class he was short on time and by that time most decent QB's are committed ok... I understand that. But the following year he brought in Dewey, Crow and Thompson. Thompson is soley baseball now, ok fine. But he struck out on Dewey and the odds don't look that great for Crow. So the fact that we have to rely on freshman would lie on him.

I didn't like all the excuses the last few years but given the talent level, the gaps in the depth chart, the investigation when he took over... I could buy some of it and give the man more time. But he's had time - he's in the hottest recruiting bed in the country and has had time to build his team the way he wants it and for ***** sake we are in the ACC. It's time to win.

Advertisement
This QB situation has me legitimately concerned. That first QB class killed us.

Agreed. Why Crow was never a highly touted recruit, Dewey had some offers (Ole Miss, UCLA, UNC, Tenn) and played in one of those all-star games. I really thought Dewey would be a decent starter at Miami.

Agreed. Why Crow was never a highly touted recruit, Dewey had some offers (Ole Miss, UCLA, UNC, Tenn) and played in one of those all-star games. I really thought Dewey would be a decent starter at Miami.

I had the same type of expectations (noting out of this world), especially since his coach was Ty Detmer. ::shrug::

I had the same type of expectations (noting out of this world), especially since his coach was Ty Detmer. ::shrug::

I thought the kid was a smart QB with a decent arm. Onto the next one.

Advertisement

I'm going to run this post through my "descrambleator" to see what it means.

Advertisement

3 Qbs that year, right?
- Dewey and Thompson got hurt. Thompson stuck with baseball and is still hurt. And Crow.

What people seem to miss on. Is that, this isn't the stone age. Where you had too rely upon a grey beard QB. The game today is open to young QB coming in, and being ready to take over now.

Either to play straight out of HS. Our with just one year sitting and learning. Yet here at Miami. We need to find guys. That are out on the waiver wire?

Jared Goff, John O'Korn, Davis Webb and Christian Hackenberg. Were all true freshman starting QB last season. All of which had a fine 1st year. That isn't counting the RFR QB's like Winston our Trevor Knight.

I see guys steady roasting Olsen, for what may our may not have really happened last season. Is it all on Olsen, our at which point does his QB coach take some of the blame? Unlike other position coaches. He doesn't have that many to keep track of.

When will we finally be able to see a Golden QB recruit lead this team? Will we see one if he chooses to go the route of the waiver wire?

3 Qbs that year, right?
- Dewey and Thompson got hurt. Thompson stuck with baseball and is still hurt. And Crow.

I forgot about Thompson, I thought he would be the best of the bunch IF IF IF he focused on football. I thought his athleticism was excellent. I never counted him because he never focused, regardless if he was on scholarship or not.

It's worrisome that 4 years in AG is still forced to pull guys off the free agent wire to only be here for 1-2 years tops.

That's what happens when you recruit under the threat of sanctions for 3 years. No QB worth his weight would have committed to play under those uncertain conditions.
But yeah lets not take that into consideration when coming up with dumb comments.

This is the BIGGEST pile of horseschit I have EVER heard!!! This argument is sooooo stupid it defies the laws of nature.

3 years under the 'threat' of sanctions huh? That was the big handicap that prevented Al from shoring up the QB position right?

What about a program like USC that wasn't under the 'threat' or "CLOUD" of sanctions but actually under REAL sanctions!!! They still signed 2 different 4 star QB studs in 2012 in Kessler and Whittek.

They signed 2 count them TWO a PAIR of studs QB's knowing that one would probably not pan out and they would still be ok come 2014....which they are and we aren't.

Then in 2013 still under ACTUAL sanctions mind you...not some nebulous undefinable 'cloud', they signed a 5 star stud!!! Max Browne.

Since AG has been here we have only signed 2 real QB's....2 real QB's in 4 fcuking years (one of which isn't even on on campus, the other was so stellar as a team leader he was suspended for the bowl game LMFAO!!!) and you schleps are still defending this Fegoggot psussy *** corch.

Funny how USC had no problems finding QB's "worth their weight", but yet here the great Canes sit, going into summer camp looking like a Div. III school at QB.

Fcuking embarassing.

BUTCH DAVIS DON'T LET NONE OF THIS SCHIT HAPPEN ON HIS WATCH!

GET A BRAIN MORANS!!!

302.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back