Al Blades Jr., gets offer and commits!

http://miami.scout.com/story/1520288-miami-legacy-to-follow-in-father-s-footsteps?s=13
Al Golden and the Miami Hurricanes reeled in a verbal commitment from a legacy recruit on Sunday evening, when 2018 Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) University School cornerback Alphonso Blades II shut down the recruiting process as just a freshman.

Alphonso Blades II, the son of former standout safety at the University of Miami, Al Blades, is a legacy recruit and 2018 defensive back out of Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) University School who's poised to become one of the elite players in South Florida over the next couple of years.
The 6-foot-1, 160-pound freshman has the bloodlines and will continue to get bigger and stronger over the next three years. Blades plays with good technique for a prospect that's still in the infant stages of his development. The rising sophomore has a nose for the ball and plays with physicality in the secondary as well.
While in the midst of a visit at the nearby University of Miami on Sunday afternoon, Blades' prayers were answered when Al Golden opted to pull the trigger and reward him with his initial scholarship offer of the recruiting process.
Not only was he offered a scholarship, Blades wasted no time and made an early pledge to his dream school, a moment he's been dreaming of for as long as he can remember.
"UM was the choose for me all along and it was my desire from when I was a kid," Blades said. "When they gave me the opportunity, I called my uncle Brian to clarify if it was okay and he gave me the go ahead. When I was visiting the campus, it was a dream come true just to be there. Then in the middle of practice, Al told me that they had offered.
"I was confused at first, so afterwards when we were talking, I tried to clarify and see if it was official and (coach Golden) said yes. That's when I realized that my dream was coming true, but I still have a long way to go and there will be obstacles to climb, so we will see."
Blades, who lost his father in a tragic car accident in March of 2003, is grateful for the opportunity to follow in his father's footsteps in nearby Coral Gables.
"I feel like I get the opportunity to finish something he didn't get to," Blades said. "It's a true blessing to know I'm making him proud."
Blades becomes Miami's first verbal commitment from the class of 2018.

That last statement got me emotional. his father would be proud

Advertisement
[video=youtube_share;KtMPMkF_VfU]http://youtu.be/KtMPMkF_VfU[/video]

[video=youtube_share;nRNnSKhk03c]http://youtu.be/nRNnSKhk03c[/video]

Advertisement
We just offered a kid cause of his last name.

He might turn out to be a great prospect and hopefully he does, but its too soon

When does Gabe Taylor commit???

Advertisement
I don't remember exactly what happened with HB Blades and why he didn't end up at Miami. All I remember was I watched him when he was in college and he was very very good. Three time all big-east and an All-American in 2006.

He might turn out to be a great prospect and hopefully he does, but its too soon

He committed when he came out of the womb at Jackson sOUTH Hospital...

Dont care.......

Certain kids as a legacy deserve an offer...Ray Lewis son did in my opinion..dont care how bad he was ..he deserved it.....

Zo Highsmith's son...but Al Blades...

i'm a big guy...went to um to watch prctice as like a sophomore in high school...DUDE (Al Blades) Stood out as some kind of Crazy back then in a team full of savages imo....those FT.Lauderdale kids have an edge to em...and blades family took it to another level...literally all of them are/were like that.....just looking at Al Jr..he looks EXACTLY like Brian...and has the prerequisite size already as a fresh...Kid will likely top out above 200 pds or near it by the time he is a hs senior.

Golden got it right there offering......Thats REAL CANE FAM

I don't remember exactly what happened with HB Blades and why he didn't end up at Miami. All I remember was I watched him when he was in college and he was very very good. Three time all big-east and an All-American in 2006.

He wanted to get out of south florida....

I Played agaisnt him in high school.....He was "Ok" then...i got him a few times blocking..lol (cool story bro)...

H.B. wasnt all that in high school..but turned into a solid player n college he was a thumper in the middle...I remember his dad Bennie was cursing him out when we played against them in hs..He was the defensive coordinator..had him doing push ups and sh*t during the game for miss tackles...We had a stud rb that ran through hima few times.

Advertisement

I Played agaisnt him in high school.....He was "Ok" then...i got him a few times blocking..lol (cool story bro)...

H.B. wasnt all that in high school..but turned into a solid player n college he was a thumper in the middle...I remember his dad Bennie was cursing him out when we played against them in hs..He was the defensive coordinator..had him doing push ups and sh*t during the game for miss tackles...We had a stud rb that ran through hima few times.
It was odd only because of his name. Maurice Crum's kid didn't get offered either and went to Notre Dame. They both had pretty good college careers (Blades stuck with the Redskins for a while) as we were trotting out Glenn Cook and Romeo Davis.

At least he plays for SFE which better than anything RL3 did. Also has better size and looks like better athlete already, and i hated offering RL3.

Advertisement

It was odd only because of his name. Maurice Crum's kid didn't get offered either and went to Notre Dame. They both had pretty good college careers (Blades stuck with the Redskins for a while) as we were trotting out Glenn Cook and Romeo Davis.

H.B. Blades was a beast in college. We offered but he wasn't actually that close with his dad. Was raised by the grandparents and Al. He wanted to go somewhere else to kinda separate himself from his dad's legacy and Al was supposedly the only one in the family that supported that move and that was enough for him to end up at Pitt. I believe Wannstedt was the Pitt corch then so they may have been on him a little earlier than normal too. Nonetheless, the kid was a real solid college player.

Last edited:

He committed when he came out of the womb at Jackson sOUTH Hospital...

Dont care.......

Certain kids as a legacy deserve an offer...Ray Lewis son did in my opinion..dont care how bad he was ..he deserved it.....

Zo Highsmith's son...but Al Blades...

i'm a big guy...went to um to watch prctice as like a sophomore in high school...DUDE (Al Blades) Stood out as some kind of Crazy back then in a team full of savages imo....those FT.Lauderdale kids have an edge to em...and blades family took it to another level...literally all of them are/were like that.....just looking at Al Jr..he looks EXACTLY like Brian...and has the prerequisite size already as a fresh...Kid will likely top out above 200 pds or near it by the time he is a hs senior.

Golden got it right there offering......Thats REAL CANE FAM

All of this. And if lil bruh is 6'1 165 already..lord have mercy. He will be built like his Uncle Bennie by the time he is a Senior. (6'2 200)

Love the pickup. Kid is a freshman..............wait a little while he will be great!!
Hope he brings he attitude his dad and uncles had.

Advertisement
Back