Aggressive Play Calling

I thought D'No blitzed quite a bit including the drive Nebraska ended up tying the score. I blame Howard on bad coverage, especially the 2 point play where he has his back completely turned away from the ball.

once again, that's how they're taught in practice.

you say that and yet corn has no problem attacking guys in coverage so they just say it to corn but not tracy? same with artie? deon?

no, artie got caught doing it several times Saturday. Even his int had more to do with armstrong throwing a horrible pass. When have you seen a scenario where bush has turned around to find the ball? not sure why you included him as he's rarely in position to faceguard or locate the ball. his' picks have either been off of tipped passes or playing over the top. corn is corn. guy just plays his as off. before thinking i'm just talking crap, go back and watch the practice videos of williams working with the dbs in redzone defense and try to tell me he doesn't have all of them faceguard. why is this so hard to believe? it's the conservative mentality. in some ways faceguarding is the safer when to play the ball in the air and our coaches love being safe and hope the other team just makes mistakes.

there we go its because the player is good and not the coaches, you know corn didn't really come in as a corner, and bush has made plenty of plays not because of tipped passes, and I've been to practices first hand and their drills are just the same as any other schools

there is a drill where they practice faceguarding in endzone situations. i've seen. and didn't say bush didn't make plenty of plays, i said he's never had a pick where he had to turn around and find the ball. that's what this discussion was about right? and yes elder is pretty darn good and appears to be a big student of the game to make the transition. but even elder hasn't had much success in the specific skill we're both referring to. that was his first pick and it was as bad pass.

Advertisement
I thought D'No blitzed quite a bit including the drive Nebraska ended up tying the score. I blame Howard on bad coverage, especially the 2 point play where he has his back completely turned away from the ball.

you say that and yet corn has no problem attacking guys in coverage so they just say it to corn but not tracy? same with artie? deon?

no, artie got caught doing it several times Saturday. Even his int had more to do with armstrong throwing a horrible pass. When have you seen a scenario where bush has turned around to find the ball? not sure why you included him as he's rarely in position to faceguard or locate the ball. his' picks have either been off of tipped passes or playing over the top. corn is corn. guy just plays his as off. before thinking i'm just talking crap, go back and watch the practice videos of williams working with the dbs in redzone defense and try to tell me he doesn't have all of them faceguard. why is this so hard to believe? it's the conservative mentality. in some ways faceguarding is the safer when to play the ball in the air and our coaches love being safe and hope the other team just makes mistakes.

there we go its because the player is good and not the coaches, you know corn didn't really come in as a corner, and bush has made plenty of plays not because of tipped passes, and I've been to practices first hand and their drills are just the same as any other schools

and how many schools have you been touring and seeing all their practices to know? i'm just curious how and why you have that kind of access

Folden logic=run the play clock down to 5 seconds in the first half. Go hurry up wide open in the 4th quarter up by 23 with 9 minutes left.

Folden's Fckbags: You guys wanted him to be aggressive now you're whining because he was aggressive.

and how many schools have you been touring and seeing all their practices to know? i'm just curious how and why you have that kind of access

take a wild guess

I love the narrative from Golden that we were agressive.....

Our last two series of the 4th Q (before the kneel), we ran it 7 times and threw it 2 times.

One of the throws was the long pass to Scott on 3rd and 2. That was not agressive...it was stupid.

MIAMI (FL) drive start at 08:36.

1-10 UM 38 Joe Yearby rush for 7 yards to the UM45, out-of-bounds.
2-3 UM 45 Joe Yearby rush for 4 yards to the UM49, 1ST DOWN UM (Young, Dedrick).
1-10 UM 49 Joe Yearby rush for 4 yards to the NEB47 (Rose, Jonathan).
2-6 NEB 47 Brad Kaaya pass complete to Mark Walton for 13 yards to the NEB34, PENALTY UM holding
(Standish Dobard) 10 yards to the NEB44.
2-3 NEB 44 2nd and 3.
2-3 NEB 44 Mark Walton rush for 1 yard to the NEB43 (Collins, Maliek).
3-2 NEB 43 Brad Kaaya pass incomplete to Rashawn Scott.
4-2 NEB 43 Timeout Miami (FL), clock 06:19.
Play reviewed. Call stands.
4-2 NEB 43 Justin Vogel punt 32 yards to the NEB11, fair catch by Westerkamp, J., PENALTY UM illegal
formation 5 yards to the NEB48, NO PLAY.
4-7 NEB 48 Justin Vogel punt 33 yards to the NEB15, out-of-bounds, PENALTY NEB roughing the kicker
(Janovich, Andy) 5 yards to the NEB43, NO PLAY.
4-2 NEB 43 PENALTY UM unsportsmanlike conduct 15 yards to the UM42.
Unsportsmanlike conduct on MIA Bench
4-17 UM 42 PENALTY UM false start (Michael Jackson) 5 yards to the UM37.
4-22 UM 37 Justin Vogel punt 63 yards to the NEB0, touchback.

MIAMI (FL) drive start at 03:46

Miami (FL) 33, Nebraska 25

Brown, Drew kickoff 28 yards to the UM37, Standish Dobard return 0 yards to the UM37.
MIAMI (FL) drive start at 03:46.

1-10 UM 37 Joe Yearby rush for 6 yards to the UM43 (Akinmoladun, F.).
2-4 UM 43 Joe Yearby rush for 3 yards to the UM46 (Akinmoladun, F.;****rell, B.).
3-1 UM 46 Timeout Nebraska, clock 02:53.
3-1 UM 46 Joe Yearby rush for no gain to the UM46 (Banderas, Josh).
4-1 UM 46 Timeout Nebraska, clock 02:47.
4-1 UM 46 Justin Vogel punt 41 yards to the NEB13, fair catch by Westerkamp, J..
3 plays, 9 yards, 1:07

Advertisement
The 4th quarter of the game was almost the biggest abortion in the history of college football.

100% on the coaching staff.

Folden logic=run the play clock down to 5 seconds in the first half. Go hurry up wide open in the 4th quarter up by 23 with 9 minutes left.

Folden's Fckbags: You guys wanted him to be aggressive now you're whining because he was aggressive.

Passing on EVERY DOWN is not being aggressive it's just being plain stupid lol.
Everyone could see when we would pass and when we would run lol.
We didn't do a single draw play.. did one screen to the backs all game. Shoot, we barely even checked down to our backs smh. The game plan in the second half was dumb af. Yearby (our best player) should've ran the rock 20+ times. Averaged 7 a pop until we started running into their wall without a fullback. We could've easily outrun them to the edge on those plays but just kept on running into the beef. Stupid stupid plan. A good mix of pass n run n we would've scored 60.

Yeah...

Yearby is gashing them and they bring Walton in....pure fooktardness.

Yearby only had 17 carries for the game.

It's not being aggressive, it's football IQ. How do you not run the play clock under 10? Under 5? When you have a lead in the 4th quarter, you don't snap the ball at 17-20 seconds. Throw it, fine, but snap it under 5 seconds. We gave Nebraska extra minutes.

One could say that if the players execute the plays correctly and not get penalized no one would be asking about running the ball or clock management in those situations.
Walton's two TD's that were nullified come to mind.

And you could also argue that the coaches should put the team in the best position to win, which they did not.

Advertisement

Our last two series of the 4th Q (before the kneel), we ran it 7 times and threw it 2 times.

One of the throws was the long pass to Scott on 3rd and 2. That was not agressive...it was stupid.

2-3 UM 45 Joe Yearby rush for 4 yards to the UM49, 1ST DOWN UM (Young, Dedrick).
2-6 NEB 47 Brad Kaaya pass complete to Mark Walton for 13 yards to the NEB34, PENALTY UM holding
2-3 NEB 44 2nd and 3.
4-2 NEB 43 Justin Vogel punt 32 yards to the NEB11, fair catch by Westerkamp, J., PENALTY UM illegal
4-7 NEB 48 Justin Vogel punt 33 yards to the NEB15, out-of-bounds, PENALTY NEB roughing the kicker

Brown, Drew kickoff 28 yards to the UM37, Standish Dobard return 0 yards to the UM37.

2-4 UM 43 Joe Yearby rush for 3 yards to the UM46 (Akinmoladun, F.;****rell, B.).
4-1 UM 46 Justin Vogel punt 41 yards to the NEB13, fair catch by Westerkamp, J..

Wow, can't make up your minds, can you. "He's too passive, he ran too much in the 4th quarter" at the same time "he's a terrible coach, everyone knows you should run to burn the clock when you have a lead, why did he throw so much." Completely opposite arguments, but both are being made to attack the staff.

didn't have a problem with being aggressive but did have a problem with snapping the ball with too much time on the playclock. also our bend and get broken in two defense showed up again.

I don't know how they are taught in practice but your statement was D'No went prevent. I saw the guy was calling blitzes quite a bit in that game, up to and including the tying 2 point conversion, so I am not sure what you are referring to. How they may be taught to cover is irrelevant.

Hey dummy...

Golden was passively aggressively taking a shot at fans and the media that criticize him for being "conservative". In other words, he was trying to tell everyone "I told you so, this is what happens when you are aggressive.

However, the play calling in the 4th quarter shows we were not aggressive at all.

Just another bull**** narrative from the loser.

2-3 NEB 44 2nd and 3.

Wow, can't make up your minds, can you. "He's too passive, he ran too much in the 4th quarter" at the same time "he's a terrible coach, everyone knows you should run to burn the clock when you have a lead, why did he throw so much." Completely opposite arguments, but both are being made to attack the staff.

This team isn't great due to the choices made from the top. I believe this team is really talented, but severely mismanaged...

No way in the world, we shouldn't have gotten out of spread formation, for some other red-zone specific packages; for anything less than 5-7yards out of the endzone. If we get 3 TD's instead of FG's and/or to avoid the Kaaya INT in the end-zone, we would have blown Nebraska out.

With a grittier coach, with a bigger set of balls than Golden, we would've shot up in the polls, and Kaayaa would have been in Heisman talks this morning. Yes, the team looked better, as it's starting to show that we have athletes now; but coaching makes all the difference in the world.

Poor roster management (not using Gray/Tucker 3yards out from the endzone & to muscle for 1st downs in the 4th Quarter), poor time management (snapping the ball in the with 15-20 seconds left ont he clock in the 4th, dumb predictable play calling when if counts (lack of balls) all points to the coach being unprepared for the moment.

I may be in the minority here but the commentators and many fans were complaining about Golden not being more conservative and running the ball more later in the game to use the clock but personally I loved that ****...Of course due to some miscues and penalties, it didnt work out but I liked the fact that the normally conservative Golden wanted to keep his foot on the gas. Thats how the great Miami teams and current TCU, Oregon and Baylor play. They never take their foot off the gas. Just my opinion...

whats great about the Kaaya pick is that golden thought we should've settled for 3. watch out for the cinci game bc it'll be a tony sparano type game. ******* ***** of a coach

Advertisement
the problem here with Golden is once again a complete lack of situational awareness... Yes we wanted Golden to stay aggressive against FSU last year when he was shutting it down in the 3rd quarter.. that does not translate to the nebraska game, you do not stay aggresive when the outcome of the game is at hand and you can mathematically end it.. He was too conservative against FSU and idiotic against Nebraska, you guys try to paint situations with broad strokes to justify prior phuckups, but staying aggressive in the nebraska game was unnecessaryespecially in lieu of the game being over and not risking a win

While the OP does make some fair points, that call on 3rd & 2 was just stupid no matter who you're coaching or facing. My real worry now though is that the pendulum is going to swing so far back over into the conservative 2nd half approach side with this staff that it's going to be even worse than what happened on Sat as we're running draws against FSU late in the 3rd with a lead on 3rd down & 12 plays.

I may be in the minority here but the commentators and many fans were complaining about Golden not being more conservative and running the ball more later in the game to use the clock but personally I loved that ****...Of course due to some miscues and penalties, it didnt work out but I liked the fact that the normally conservative Golden wanted to keep his foot on the gas. Thats how the great Miami teams and current TCU, Oregon and Baylor play. They never take their foot off the gas. Just my opinion...

AGREED. See comments from FSU game last year.
I didn't mind the fade, safe call, but it was underthrown and it was to the wrong guy. Next time Njoku, not Dobard.
Anything but an interception there, game over.

Advertisement
the problem here with Golden is once again a complete lack of situational awareness... Yes we wanted Golden to stay aggressive against FSU last year when he was shutting it down in the 3rd quarter.. that does not translate to the nebraska game, you do not stay aggresive when the outcome of the game is at hand and you can mathematically end it.. He was too conservative against FSU and idiotic against Nebraska, you guys try to paint situations with broad strokes to justify prior phuckups, but staying aggressive in the nebraska game was unnecessaryespecially in lieu of the game being over and not risking a win

Look at the play by play in the 4th.

Kaaya's INT came with almost 14 minutes in the 4th. We were up by 20. A field goal there makes it 23 and is still 3 scores (as we now well know). It was a safe call with horrible execution and thrown to the wrong TE, I'll give you that.

We hold NU on their following possesion.

Our next possesion we drove with ease by passing to get down to the 11. We then kick a FG to go up by 23.
So, basically we're right where we were the INT possesion prior, right? Up by 23, now with 11:14 to go in the game.

THEN we started running. Seven of our next 8 plays over 2 possesions were running plays. Not included in those 8 plays was a pass, the one that went for a TD, the one that was called back by penalty. We TRIED to shut it down at 8:36.

If anything, get on the O-line and the running game for not ending the game when they had a chance in their last 2 possesions in regulation.

Last edited:
I had zero issue with continuing to throw early in the 4th, the 3rd & 2 vertical shot to Scott, or running three times on the second to last series.

Kaaya was playing lights out and our skill talent was killing their secondary all game long, so I was pleasantly surprised to see us continuing to attack through the air. The rule about needing to complete the process of the catch when going to the ground wiped out the Scott play, but it was a beneficial one-on-one matchup and he was open. Yearby picked up 6 on his first carry of that second-to-last drive, but the OL failing to get push on the next two plays caused the three and out. All of that was defensible.

What the staff did offensively that no one in their right mind would try to defend...

- Inexplicably inserting Rosier into the game in a goal-to-go situation in the 2nd quarter to run a play everyone knew was coming. We took our best player off the field, even though he was torching Nebraska's secondary and the offense was in a great rhythm. Monumental stupidity.

- Throwing a corner fade to Standish Dobard on 3rd & 6 that resulted in an interception. You have Scott, Njoku, and Cager as potential targets in jump ball situations, but instead you design a play for Dobard to go up and high-point in a contested situation instead? WTF?

- Atrocious clock management.

- Kneeling down with :33 remaining and no timeouts left at the end of the game. Their secondary couldn't handle our passing game and you get temporary clock stoppages to move the chains on first down conversions in college. Badgley has never missed from 40-49. Butch Jones did the same thing the week before and was rightfully killed for it by the media. Coaching scared after an epic collapse.

I had zero issue with continuing to throw early in the 4th, the 3rd & 2 vertical shot to Scott, or running three times on the second to last series.

Kaaya was playing lights out and our skill talent was killing their secondary all game long, so I was pleasantly surprised to see us continuing to attack through the air. The rule about needing to complete the process of the catch when going to the ground wiped out the Scott play, but it was a beneficial one-on-one matchup and he was open. Yearby picked up 6 on his first carry of that second-to-last drive, but the OL failing to get push on the next two plays caused the three and out. All of that was defensible.

What the staff did offensively that no one in their right mind would try to defend...

- Inexplicably inserting Rosier into the game in a goal-to-go situation in the 2nd quarter to run a play everyone knew was coming. We took our best player off the field, even though he was torching Nebraska's secondary and the offense was in a great rhythm. Monumental stupidity.

- Throwing a corner fade to Standish Dobard on 3rd & 6 that resulted in an interception. You have Scott, Njoku, and Cager as potential targets in jump ball situations, but instead you design a play for Dobard to go up and high-point in a contested situation instead? WTF?

- Atrocious clock management.

- Kneeling down with :33 remaining and no timeouts left at the end of the game. Their secondary couldn't handle our passing game and you get temporary clock stoppages to move the chains on first down conversions in college. Badgley has never missed from 40-49. Butch Jones did the same thing the week before and was rightfully killed for it by the media. Coaching scared after an epic collapse.

This

didn't have a problem with being aggressive but did have a problem with snapping the ball with too much time on the playclock. also our bend and get broken in two defense showed up again.

I don't know how they are taught in practice but your statement was D'No went prevent. I saw the guy was calling blitzes quite a bit in that game, up to and including the tying 2 point conversion, so I am not sure what you are referring to. How they may be taught to cover is irrelevant.

i didn't say d'no went prevent. although it's hard to tell the difference with the way we play zone. and blitzing one or two guy when you "rush" three out of base isn't much of a blitz. especially when you can clearly see our guys are still waiting milliseconds trying to make reads instead of trying to penetrate in obvious passing situations.

Advertisement
Back