Pro Wrestling AEW MEGA THREAD

Most of Aew‘s roster looks like children or average joes . I literally laugh my *** off at the young bucks lol. At least take your *** to a gym and look like an athlete. Them as bad *** heals is just too much. Chris Jericho looks like he belongs in a bar passed out, it’s just sad. One of their biggest stars is Darby Alan and I’m almost positive my old *** would rag doll him. He makes Jeff Hardy look like Goldberg.

They sold everyone on being the anti wwe, more real wrestling , wins matter and they’ll keep up with them. Yet it turned into mostly iindy darlings with very few “real stars“. Its pretty much pwg on a network ,lots of comedy spots with gymnastics and twenty guys waiting to catch the gymnast. There’s no selling and its very rare you see psychology. Cody and Jericho might be the only guys that gets it. You’ll see three devastating moves and they kick out , then get pinned with a school boy lol. It’s just fast paced gymnastics with spots , where they can get a chant of “ this is awesome “.

It’s everything I hate about the new product and why I won’t watch. It’ll always be a niche audience.

That’s just my opinion of it, just call me Jim Cornette JR.
It was either you or D$ that jumped the rail and tried to get in the ring with Jericho and MJF at Road Rager 100%

You can not convince me otherwise.

Advertisement
It was either you or D$ that jumped the rail and tried to get in the ring with Jericho and MJF at Road Rager 100%

You can not convince me otherwise.
I was at that show. I actually like AEW. But when you see the two shows up close, you can tell the physical difference between well-trained, D1 level athletes and modern Indy dudes.

I was at that show. I actually like AEW. But when you see the two shows up close, you can tell the physical difference between well-trained, D1 level athletes and modern Indy dudes.
Yeah, the modern Indy dudes are fluid movers with flawless execution with a gas tank for days that are incredible improvisational performers ...the WWE talent are slow moving - prodding - basic athletes that gas pretty quickly that struggle to perform off schedule...watch talent transitioning from WWE to Indie wrestling...it takes a long transition to get back to performing at that level...the inverse is not so, Indie talent coming in to NXT or even the main roster (see AJ Styles) have no problem acclimating to the house style almost upon arrival.

On one show, I see them take the art of professional wrestling serious and present it as such..the other, I see (through Twitter and Youtube, because I no longer watch this **** full stop - its made for 8 year olds) voodoo dolls and definitely not a child Alexa Bliss possessing people, community theatre level acting mid-match, whatever drip drip is, whatever a doudrop is, Matt Riddle acting like a 12 year old boy riding on a scooter, people pretending to be vikings, a dude carrying around a sword, whatever Vince thinks BDSM is via whatever Karrion Kross, Donovan Dijak, and Shane Thorne were walking around wearing in the past year, Nikki Cross looking like a special needs Connor's Cure kid, pancakes being thrown around, people's eyes being poked out, people being thrown off buildings...and above all, some outright terrible booking that makes no new stars. If you're into Reigns, Cena, Brock, Bobby Lashley...thats cool...I dig'em, too. But that is 1% of the total active main roster. The rest is absolute garbo with very few redeeming qualities outside of the laughs, gifs, and memes.

Yeah, the modern Indy dudes are fluid movers with flawless execution with a gas tank for days that are incredible improvisational performers ...the WWE talent are slow moving - prodding - basic athletes that gas pretty quickly that struggle to perform off schedule...watch talent transitioning from WWE to Indie wrestling...it takes a long transition to get back to performing at that level...the inverse is not so, Indie talent coming in to NXT or even the main roster (see AJ Styles) have no problem acclimating to the house style almost upon arrival.

On one show, I see them take the art of professional wrestling serious and present it as such..the other, I see (through Twitter and Youtube, because I no longer watch this **** full stop - its made for 8 year olds) voodoo dolls and definitely not a child Alexa Bliss possessing people, community theatre level acting mid-match, whatever drip drip is, whatever a doudrop is, Matt Riddle acting like a 12 year old boy riding on a scooter, people pretending to be vikings, a dude carrying around a sword, whatever Vince thinks BDSM is via whatever Karrion Kross, Donovan Dijak, and Shane Thorne were walking around wearing in the past year, Nikki Cross looking like a special needs Connor's Cure kid, pancakes being thrown around, people's eyes being poked out, people being thrown off buildings...and above all, some outright terrible booking that makes no new stars. If you're into Reigns, Cena, Brock, Bobby Lashley...thats cool...I dig'em, too. But that is 1% of the total active main roster. The rest is absolute garbo with very few redeeming qualities outside of the laughs, gifs, and memes.
AEW has goofy stuff, too. Kenny got over by wrestling a little girl. Orange Cassidy’s whole style is a joke. It’s not exactly 80s NWA and that’s OK.

Vince still has the best track record of making stars. Lately he’s been making movie stars. I don’t think stars are the problem. Roman is peaking, the Four HW are proven and Drew, Damian Priest, Bianca and Riddle are all getting over. Their house show in Fort Myers was awesome. Raw has just been a bad TV show.

AEW seems to be pushing them because the last two Raws have gotten away from the rematch/roll-up formula. That’s good for everybody.

As for the in-ring, AEW is too choreographed for my taste. The selling sucks and they rush from spot to spot. I love their tags but their single matches don’t feel like real fights to me. It’s too wink-wink to suspend disbelief. I feel like I’m watching fans. There is nobody there as good or believable as Reigns, Lesnar, Charlotte or Orton.

Advertisement
And then the next day, WWE had a main event with real athletes and professional wrestlers in front of 44k as part of a billion-dollar Peacock deal.

AEW is a fun show but they have too many goofs. There is a dramatic talent gap. Too many of their top wrestlers are not credible. They are more “sports entertainment” than WWE. Punk sat cross-legged and cut a promo looking like a fan. Is that “real wrestling?”

They will do well with the smark crowd but they have a ceiling unless they change their approach. Punk was their biggest chip and that’s been cashed.
First major PPV back from a pandemic. Also, WWE’s has a really dedicated, core audience that is partially international in scope will turn out for any major PPV or Raw. But only those shows. That’s why b level PPVs and other RAWs were not sold out going into the Pandemic.

Ceiling is probably 2M terrestrial viewers right now. But all AEW needs to do is not decline. WWE Raw continues to ebb away due to horrible creative and ossified traditions, and if they continue to do so AEW will catch them without having to raise their own numbers.

Other poster is right...the next content rights deal for AEW will likely be significant. That will render the company profitable and even more viable long term.

Advertisement

And don’t forget that these storylines have little to no consequence, and are often dropped without explanation.

Literally weeks after Randy Orton - the heel - had tried to murder Brayn Wyatt - WWE had recategorized him as a “good guy”.

It's crazy to think about, but AEW doesn't exist if Vince just let Cody and Goldust have the feud they wanted that ended the Stardust gimmick.

-Cody never would have asked for his release.
-Meet Kenny and the Young Bucks and grow a strong Indie following
-Help connect a bitter Jericho to Kenny
-Organize All In
-Give Tony Khan the idea to start a promotion centered around them
-Give a disgruntled Moxley a place to be happy

Advertisement
Advertisement
Because it is the closest thing we've seen to a new ECW, but with money and not quite the mad genius.
Or the extreme element. Brandi Rhodes opened the first PPV with a promo about inclusion. At the old FTL War Memorial shows, we would've been chanting something much different at her.

That Daniel Bryan moment was amazing. What a debut. PPV looked great from what I see. Great stuff.

Advertisement
Back