Advice For An Under-The-Radar Recruit

UMinati

Sovereign
Banned
Khalil Jones - Hudl

I know this kid's parents and I need some advice on how to get him 'on the radar'. He didn't start playing football until high school but has been a terror on defense ever since. He had 11.5 sacks this year but the coaching staff at Clearwater High does not promote players.

I assumed at this point the best thing would be the camps but I haven't heard anything about them.
I appreciate any advice from the gurus in the forum; hopefully this can help others as well.
We're all scouts in a sense.

Advertisement
Tell him to sign up for the camp Miami holds, and send him out to 7 on 7 tournaments. The kid has to be pro-active in his own recruitment if he truly is "under the radar". Most of these kids with grades on the big sites attend different camps or go to big time high school programs. Hope this helped.

*Asking this question on the recruiting board might give you more answers as well.

I also would like to know specific camps. 7 on 7 is great for qb, wr, and cover guys but what about other positions. Also if your school doesn't 7on7 wher or how you get in a team. I would like specifics. Thanks in advance

Bad news. His career ended in 2007 or 2008 and he already used up all college eligibility

Advertisement
If the family has resources for a road trip, I would visit school-specific camps in the summer. Most FBS colleges have their own camps. That way the coaches can evaluate him directly.

I would also look up the personnel/recruiting staffs for the schools he is interested in and e-mail the video to them directly, along with any information on the player's background (accomplishments, measurables, didn't play until high school, honor roll, etc.) Those guys are much more likely to watch the film than the coaches.

as a 2016 kid, there isn't a lot that can be done. Other than find the local small school recruiting fair and see what turns up.

With Hudl today its hard for a kid to not be under the radar, most schools have watched a couple of clips of just about every kid with decent size/stats.

Wouldn't it be good for him to attend one of the Nike camps down there? Or are those via invite only? I would think if he who's out at one of those that would help, and he would get to go against some good OL. I would start with a Hudl or some type of highlight tape, and tweet that out to coaches or recruiting guys on the sites.

Advertisement
small college recruiting fair in the area....send the hudl to larry blutstein on twitter

Do everything else people are recommending but he should also get his grades and scores in order. Under the radar prospects must make everything easy for coaches. The only issue that a coach should have when dealing with an under the radar prospect: can a he play on this team?

The prospect be keeping his grades, scores, and attitude in check will make the coach's decision easier if the coach is being 50-50.

Just want to thank the board for the advice; I sent a link of this thread to his father. I didn't even think about the grades/scores but that could be an issue. Forgot about the recruiting board too, a lot of good discussion there as well.
I wish he would of brought this up last year, kid will probably have to do a year at Juco.

Advertisement
Khalil Jones - Hudl

I know this kid's parents and I need some advice on how to get him 'on the radar'. He didn't start playing football until high school but has been a terror on defense ever since. He had 11.5 sacks this year but the coaching staff at Clearwater High does not promote players.

I assumed at this point the best thing would be the camps but I haven't heard anything about them.
I appreciate any advice from the gurus in the forum; hopefully this can help others as well.

My advice would be to not waste his time. He's slow, under sized, weak....go spend your time doing something constructive because football is not in his future.

Last edited:
Disgusted that this kid's coaches aren't doing anything to help their players get more attention. They are doing their kids a great disservice.

Legally change his last name to "Mack Jr.". That'll get him on multiple radars.

Advertisement
Khalil Jones - Hudl

Step 1. Camps..Nike and Under Armour Camps start in January. ..there os also NUC and FBU..google for dates..the eval may not be true but its a chance for one of the writers to notice...
2. Go to the Universities Day
3. Get highlight footage

Disgusted that this kid's coaches aren't doing anything to help their players get more attention. They are doing their kids a great disservice.

Shoot one guy says they dont do anything to promote their players lets take it as the word of god... Apparently they promote well enough to help get Adarius Lemons offers from Ohio State and Michigan. Going to be hard to promote for a kid that extremely undersized though.

So true...our RB is one of the best in the state...close to 5000 JS career rushing yardage but he is short ..almost 5'7 lucky for him he is smart and got an offer from Columbia University

So true...our RB is one of the best in the state...close to 5000 JS career rushing yardage but he is short ..almost 5'7 lucky for him he is smart and got an offer from Columbia University

When I was in high school Osceola had a running back Bubba Brown that tied Sean Taylors season TD mark at 44. Dude was a complete monster in HS but a 3 star recruit who only got a couple D1 offers. It just happens especially when you dont have the size people are looking for.

Advertisement
Back