Advice For An Under-The-Radar Recruit

I will state the obvious. If he can play at a D1 school they will find him. If he has not been contacted, he really should consider lower level schools. There are 100s of small schools that offer great educations in exchange for playing. Schools like Stetson, Old Dominion, Rensselier all will give him the education to make his life better. There are lots looking right now. My assistant's kid played in Pinellas County and now is a 245 pound DE who will likely be an investment banker when he is done with free school. And, if he is a baller, the NFL will find him just like the Bucs found Marpet this year. Good luck.

Advertisement
Camps, 7 on 7 tournaments, and send his tape to coaches.
this and tell him to hit the gym or get a position switch. 190 lbs at DE isn't going to get him any help but if he can move to LB and put on 15-20 pounds then he's d-1 recruitable at LB if he tests well academically and physically

Disgusted that this kid's coaches aren't doing anything to help their players get more attention. They are doing their kids a great disservice.

Shoot one guy says they dont do anything to promote their players lets take it as the word of god... Apparently they promote well enough to help get Adarius Lemons offers from Ohio State and Michigan. Going to be hard to promote for a kid that extremely undersized though.

You're right. I'll disreard the opinion of a guy in direct contact with the kid's family and familiarity with the situation and go with yours instead.

Disgusted that this kid's coaches aren't doing anything to help their players get more attention. They are doing their kids a great disservice.

Shoot one guy says they dont do anything to promote their players lets take it as the word of god... Apparently they promote well enough to help get Adarius Lemons offers from Ohio State and Michigan. Going to be hard to promote for a kid that extremely undersized though.

You're right. I'll disreard the opinion of a guy in direct contact with the kid's family and familiarity with the situation and go with yours instead.
Seems more like people who are just a little salty their boy doesnt meet the weight requirement at his position to play D1 football. Seems like the players with real talent on the team had no problem getting noticed.

Khalil Jones - Hudl

I know this kid's parents and I need some advice on how to get him 'on the radar'. He didn't start playing football until high school but has been a terror on defense ever since. He had 11.5 sacks this year but the coaching staff at Clearwater High does not promote players.

I assumed at this point the best thing would be the camps but I haven't heard anything about them.
I appreciate any advice from the gurus in the forum; hopefully this can help others as well.
We're all scouts in a sense.

So is the kid your talking about is a senior now as part of the 2016 class.

If that is the case then it is to late for camps and as posters said the best thing to do is go directly to college coaches an support staff recruiters. He needs to hit all the C-USA, AAC, and MAC schools.

Also some lower tier power 5 Schools that like to take Florida recruits such as Minnesota, Indiana, Colorado ( Jim Leavitt loves Florida kids), Syracuse, and Nebraska.

Go Canes
[HUDL]athlete/4204525/highlights/287250375[/HUDL]

Advertisement

Seems more like people who are just a little salty their boy doesnt meet the weight requirement at his position to play D1 football. Seems like the players with real talent on the team had no problem getting noticed.

It definitely could be. Or it could be the way the OP says it is. Neither of us knows for sure and I'm not trying to argue with anybody about it. I probably jumped the gun by putting it all on the kid's coaches because I definitely don't have all the facts. Hope it works out for the kid and he's able to find a spot somewhere...

I will state the obvious. If he can play at a D1 school they will find him. If he has not been contacted, he really should consider lower level schools. There are 100s of small schools that offer great educations in exchange for playing. Schools like Stetson, Old Dominion, Rensselier all will give him the education to make his life better. There are lots looking right now. My assistant's kid played in Pinellas County and now is a 245 pound DE who will likely be an investment banker when he is done with free school. And, if he is a baller, the NFL will find him just like the Bucs found Marpet this year. Good luck.

I totally agree with you and this is pretty much the sentiments I expressed to his father. That's why I presented this to the board to get and unbiased assessment that his father could consider. There's nothing wrong with a free education and if he blows up, more power to him. I'm not close enough to the situation to know everything; I'm just taking the words of a friend, his father, to be true. Regardless of what's going on behind the scenes, they as a family need to be proactive and follow the sage advice that has been given in this forum - much of which has been gained from experience. Thanks for your input.

Advertisement
Back