Addition by subtraction?

Advertisement
Below are the guys who we lost to the draft, graduation and transfer.

Drafted Starters: LB Shaq (4th), RB Dallas (4th), WR Osborn (5th), DE Garvin (7th)
Undrafted/Transferred Starters: LB Pinckney , St Romeo Finley, DT P Bethel, CB Trajan Bandy, S Knowles, QB Jarren Williams,K Baxa
Undrafted Part-Time Starters / Situational Players: DE Trevon Hill, WR Thomas, DT Nnoruka
Transferred Situational Players: DE Patchan, WR Hightower, TE Irvin, St/S D Smith
Undrafted/Transferred Didn't Play / JAG: RB Lingard, TE Polendy, OT Kennedy, FB George, WR E Njoku, DT G Browns, DE T Martin, CB Bethel

2019 Starter vs. 2020 Replacement
Shaq > McCloud or Joyner
Dallas > Harris
Osborn > Wiggins or Pope
Finley <> Frierson
Bandy <> Williams or Couch
Garvin < Roche or Phillips
Pinckney < Brooks or Huff
Bethel < Silvera
Baxa < Borregales
Knowles < Bolden
Williams < King

Comparing how departing 2019 starters with how I expect their replacements to play better in 2020, I think we're coming out ahead. I believe 6 of the replacements will play better, 2 will play roughly the same and 3 will play worse. Especially at QB, K and S, I think we're getting a big tradeup.

Losing Shaq and Dallas hurts the most. Need McCloud or Joyner, and one of the RBs to step up. I know people will point to Bandy, and I'm a big fan of his. But his play as a junior wasn't as solid as his sophomore year, and I expect either Williams or Couch will be play as well as he did.
Tough game to play. Offense will be totally different. New coordinator, new QB. It will be better, full stop. Has to be.

On D, ends will be as good or better, inside will be no worse, probably better. CB same, more maturity, a bit less experience. S better with maturity. LB is a question. Fingers crossed inside. Overall D should be as good, hopefully better but similar.

Advertisement
Bro using that UDFA stick is old and doesn't work in this instance. We 100% could use him back for the 2020 season.

Could we use him, yeah? Does that mean we’re going to MISS him. We shall see. I like what we have.

We will miss Shaq/ Pinckney and KJ Osborn. We should be fine everywhere else.

I dont think we will miss them that much. The new O should be definitely better. 4 years starters that didnt really get better. I dont totally blame them due to the coaching or lack of the time they were here.

Don’t do this to yourself. We say this everywhere. Player X was slow or weak or not athletic enough or dumb or character issues or whatever else and now we can get player Y into the lineup. Same story, different season.

Let it play out.

Advertisement
Harris has a higher ceiling than Dallas

Harris may have a higher ceiling but he needs to reach it. DJ’s short area quickness, vision and ability break tackles is what separates him from Harris to this point. Harris was faster. Harris needs to improve in the areas I mentioned or his speed won’t matter

Advertisement
Advertisement
We will miss Shaq/ Pinckney and KJ Osborn. We should be fine everywhere else.

I think we'll miss DeeJay Dallas, too.

We've had some good running backs here in the past 15 years...numerous professionals, a few that were more productive...not sure anyone ran more angry and could make people miss. He had some runs where he legit put the team on his back. I'm not sure a guy like that exists on our roster right now, or hasn't shown himself to exist. We'll see with the freshman, but DeeJay Dallas is going to be a tough loss. Would have been a nice crutch early in the season as the team figures the offense out.

Also, while, I think Pinckney was very limited, Brooks and Huff gotta show us something before we can say thats an upgrade. Thats a 4 year, productive starter...you don't just snap your finger and immediately the guys behind him (that didn't play that play all that much) are better. They've got more potential, but chill. Especially on Brooks.

Ok I’ll say it. Don’t think we will miss anyone that left this year. Maybe only shaq but I can see Mccloud filling in with no issue

Advertisement
Back