Addition by subtraction?

Advertisement
I really wish KJ could have been able to play in this new offense. I think the 2 LB’er kind of maxed out in this current defense under Diaz.

Adding a new and competent coaching staff would have a greater impact then which players are going

King > Williams

Harris < Dallas

Knighton > Lingard

Parrott > George

Wiggins < Osborn

Pope < Thomas

Redding ? Hightower

Worsham ? Njoku

Smith ? Ezzard

Hodges > Irvin

Mamarelli ? Polendey

Rivers > Kennedy

Washington ? Dykstra

Roche > Garvin

Phillips ? Hill

Silvera > Bethel

Miller > Nnoruka

Holley > Martin

McCloud < Quarterman

Brooks ? Pinckney

Frierson ? Finley

Blades ? Bandy

Bolden > Knowles

Couch > N. Bethel

A. Williams > D. Smith

Borregales > Baxa

Advertisement
Below are the guys who we lost to the draft, graduation and transfer.

Drafted Starters: LB Shaq (4th), RB Dallas (4th), WR Osborn (5th), DE Garvin (7th)
Undrafted/Transferred Starters: LB Pinckney , St Romeo Finley, DT P Bethel, CB Trajan Bandy, S Knowles, QB Jarren Williams,K Baxa
Undrafted Part-Time Starters / Situational Players: DE Trevon Hill, WR Thomas, DT Nnoruka
Transferred Situational Players: DE Patchan, WR Hightower, TE Irvin, St/S D Smith
Undrafted/Transferred Didn't Play / JAG: RB Lingard, TE Polendy, OT Kennedy, FB George, WR E Njoku, DT G Browns, DE T Martin, CB Bethel

2019 Starter vs. 2020 Replacement
Shaq > McCloud or Joyner
Dallas > Harris
Osborn > Wiggins or Pope
Finley <> Frierson
Bandy <> Williams or Couch
Garvin < Roche or Phillips
Pinckney < Brooks or Huff
Bethel < Silvera
Baxa < Borregales
Knowles < Bolden
Williams < King

Comparing how departing 2019 starters with how I expect their replacements to play better in 2020, I think we're coming out ahead. I believe 6 of the replacements will play better, 2 will play roughly the same and 3 will play worse. Especially at QB, K and S, I think we're getting a big tradeup.

Losing Shaq and Dallas hurts the most. Need McCloud or Joyner, and one of the RBs to step up. I know people will point to Bandy, and I'm a big fan of his. But his play as a junior wasn't as solid as his sophomore year, and I expect either Williams or Couch will be play as well as he did.
Brodie football does not work like that.

Below are the guys who we lost to the draft, graduation and transfer.

Drafted Starters: LB Shaq (4th), RB Dallas (4th), WR Osborn (5th), DE Garvin (7th)
Undrafted/Transferred Starters: LB Pinckney , St Romeo Finley, DT P Bethel, CB Trajan Bandy, S Knowles, QB Jarren Williams,K Baxa
Undrafted Part-Time Starters / Situational Players: DE Trevon Hill, WR Thomas, DT Nnoruka
Transferred Situational Players: DE Patchan, WR Hightower, TE Irvin, St/S D Smith
Undrafted/Transferred Didn't Play / JAG: RB Lingard, TE Polendy, OT Kennedy, FB George, WR E Njoku, DT G Browns, DE T Martin, CB Bethel

2019 Starter vs. 2020 Replacement
Shaq > McCloud or Joyner
Dallas > Harris
Osborn > Wiggins or Pope
Finley <> Frierson
Bandy <> Williams or Couch
Garvin < Roche or Phillips
Pinckney < Brooks or Huff
Bethel < Silvera
Baxa < Borregales
Knowles < Bolden
Williams < King

Comparing how departing 2019 starters with how I expect their replacements to play better in 2020, I think we're coming out ahead. I believe 6 of the replacements will play better, 2 will play roughly the same and 3 will play worse. Especially at QB, K and S, I think we're getting a big tradeup.

Losing Shaq and Dallas hurts the most. Need McCloud or Joyner, and one of the RBs to step up. I know people will point to Bandy, and I'm a big fan of his. But his play as a junior wasn't as solid as his sophomore year, and I expect either Williams or Couch will be play as well as he did.
one important omission is: Osborn(PR) vs. 2020(PR)???

Advertisement
A lot to this argument is not just the play on the field but leadership. Shaq, KJ, and Dallas were all really good guys to have on your football team not only on Saturday’s but in practice, in the weight room, etc.

Did Thomas contribute a lot last year but I missed it? Pope had more YPC than Thomas last year.

Pope
*2019Miami (FL)ACCSOWR111826614.823237.702128913.82

Thomas

2019Miami (FL)ACCJRWR103137912.237415.903842011.13

The hail mary against VT is the reason for that. I have faith that Pope will improve but JTPoor had his moments here while Pope has had very few.

Advertisement
Back