Addition by subtraction?

grover

Senior
Premium
Below are the guys who we lost to the draft, graduation and transfer.

Drafted Starters: LB Shaq (4th), RB Dallas (4th), WR Osborn (5th), DE Garvin (7th)
Undrafted/Transferred Starters: LB Pinckney , St Romeo Finley, DT P Bethel, CB Trajan Bandy, S Knowles, QB Jarren Williams,K Baxa
Undrafted Part-Time Starters / Situational Players: DE Trevon Hill, WR Thomas, DT Nnoruka
Transferred Situational Players: DE Patchan, WR Hightower, TE Irvin, St/S D Smith
Undrafted/Transferred Didn't Play / JAG: RB Lingard, TE Polendy, OT Kennedy, FB George, WR E Njoku, DT G Browns, DE T Martin, CB Bethel

2019 Starter vs. 2020 Replacement
Shaq > McCloud or Joyner
Dallas > Harris
Osborn > Wiggins or Pope
Finley <> Frierson
Bandy <> Williams or Couch
Garvin < Roche or Phillips
Pinckney < Brooks or Huff
Bethel < Silvera
Baxa < Borregales
Knowles < Bolden
Williams < King

Comparing how departing 2019 starters with how I expect their replacements to play better in 2020, I think we're coming out ahead. I believe 6 of the replacements will play better, 2 will play roughly the same and 3 will play worse. Especially at QB, K and S, I think we're getting a big tradeup.

Losing Shaq and Dallas hurts the most. Need McCloud or Joyner, and one of the RBs to step up. I know people will point to Bandy, and I'm a big fan of his. But his play as a junior wasn't as solid as his sophomore year, and I expect either Williams or Couch will be play as well as he did.

Advertisement
Please quantify the analysis:

How did you conclude that Dallas last year will be superior to Harris this year?

How did you conclude Osborn last year will be superior to Wiggins/Pope this year?

How did you conclude Brooks/Huff this year will be better than Pinckney last year?

Advertisement

How did you conclude that Dallas last year will be superior to Harris this year?

How did you conclude Osborn last year will be superior to Wiggins/Pope this year?

How did you conclude Brooks/Huff this year will be better than Pinckney last year?
Agreed this is very projection based. Don’t underrate how good Pinckney was at times even if he’s not the athlete the other 2 are. On the flip side Wiggins and Pope have a lot more natural ability than Osborne did so its all about development for them

Who's coaching/developing the next batch on defense?

I would imagine that we're going to take a step forward on offense. Because... well... last in the entire Universe should be somewhat reversible with a little bit of competence.

I guessed. ... I was debating over having Pickney and Osborn as washes with their replacements. That's one reason I put the "?" in my title. It's just a projection, and I'm interested in reading what everyone else has to say.

Advertisement
Hopefully, Enos < Lashlee.
This will be the biggest impact of all the positions. His play calling will make DJ Dallas absence null and void. We should get way more production out of the backfield and i can see a lot more long running plays from the 3 headed monsters we have. As solid as Osborn was for us, we should get much more production out of all of our receivers this year with the addition of Lash and King. What does concern me is the lack of practice time to develop chemistry with the loss of spring practice. May take a little time to get up to speed, but good thing we play against some weaker opponents to start the season.

He didn't say superior, he said better.

Advertisement
We will miss Shaq/ Pinckney and KJ Osborn. We should be fine everywhere else.
I’m not even convinced on Shaq/Pinckney.

Shaq was a solid MLB, but nothing special.

The athletic upside of our young guys is much higher than what they’re replacing, but there will certainly be a learning curve.

Advertisement
Below are the guys who we lost to the draft, graduation and transfer.

Drafted Starters: LB Shaq (4th), RB Dallas (4th), WR Osborn (5th), DE Garvin (7th)
Undrafted/Transferred Starters: LB Pinckney , St Romeo Finley, DT P Bethel, CB Trajan Bandy, S Knowles, QB Jarren Williams,K Baxa
Undrafted Part-Time Starters / Situational Players: DE Trevon Hill, WR Thomas, DT Nnoruka
Transferred Situational Players: DE Patchan, WR Hightower, TE Irvin, St/S D Smith
Undrafted/Transferred Didn't Play / JAG: RB Lingard, TE Polendy, OT Kennedy, FB George, WR E Njoku, DT G Browns, DE T Martin, CB Bethel

2019 Starter vs. 2020 Replacement
Shaq > McCloud or Joyner
Dallas > Harris
Osborn > Wiggins or Pope
Finley <> Frierson
Bandy <> Williams or Couch
Garvin < Roche or Phillips
Pinckney < Brooks or Huff
Bethel < Silvera
Baxa < Borregales
Knowles < Bolden
Williams < King

Comparing how departing 2019 starters with how I expect their replacements to play better in 2020, I think we're coming out ahead. I believe 6 of the replacements will play better, 2 will play roughly the same and 3 will play worse. Especially at QB, K and S, I think we're getting a big tradeup.

Losing Shaq and Dallas hurts the most. Need McCloud or Joyner, and one of the RBs to step up. I know people will point to Bandy, and I'm a big fan of his. But his play as a junior wasn't as solid as his sophomore year, and I expect either Williams or Couch will be play as well as he did.

Mccloud is a better athlete than Shaq. It Is possible he is an upgrade. Same with Osborne. Great leader but limited. If King is able to get those guys motivated and they able to let there athleticism shown, it’s a definite upgrade. Pretty much agree on everything else.

Advertisement
Back