ACC Tournament

Advertisement
They’ll probably throw Palmquist because you play to win the game (Herm Edwards voice) but I’d be inclined to throw him Thursday just to keep him on his normal rest plus he’s obviously starting game 1 of the regional, which will be next Friday, so I’d like him to keep as close to his regular rest as possible going forward.

I think we have a national seed locked up regardless. If we lose tomorrow and win a Thursday, sure we don’t go to the semifinals but I couldn’t care less. It’s all about next weekend.

Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but I’d be on the table if I were managing this team.

Mississippi State won the CWS last year. They lost their 2 SEC tournament games 13-1 and 12-2. Still landed the #7 overall seed, won their regional and super, and walked out of Omaha as the champs.

Advertisement
They’ll probably throw Palmquist because you play to win the game (Herm Edwards voice) but I’d be inclined to throw him Thursday just to keep him on his normal rest plus he’s obviously starting game 1 of the regional, which will be next Friday, so I’d like him to keep as close to his regular rest as possible going forward.

I think we have a national seed locked up regardless. If we lose tomorrow and win a Thursday, sure we don’t go to the semifinals but I couldn’t care less. It’s all about next weekend.

Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but I’d be on the table if I were managing this team.

Mississippi State won the CWS last year. They lost their 2 SEC tournament games 13-1 and 12-2. Still landed the #7 overall seed, won their regional and super, and walked out of Omaha as the champs.
Throw him tomorrow make much more sense. Give him the extra day. Besides he can't win the regional by himself.

Did I miss something, since you're saying we play Thursday? It's Friday, and you want Garland to throw Friday, then go Ligon and Rosario as usual, if we go that far.

That keeps our rotation is good shape, giving Garland a later start, and closer to his next potential appearance.

Besides, I'd like to think these guys want to win the tournament, if possible, and that situation keeps everything intact

I would be shocked if Palm starts game one of the regional.

I would be shocked if Palm starts game one of the regional.

You have to win the first game or it’s curtains. I can see the argument that if you can’t beat the 4 seed with a non-ace you don’t deserve to advance but imo that’s a decent sized risk. Lose a game right out of the chute and you have to win 4 games in 2 days to advance.

Advertisement
You have to win the first game or it’s curtains. I can see the argument that if you can’t beat the 4 seed with a non-ace you don’t deserve to advance but imo that’s a decent sized risk. Lose a game right out of the chute and you have to win 4 games in 2 days to advance.

We never throw our ace in game 1 as a #1 seed at home. Most #1 seeds don't.

Throw him tomorrow make much more sense. Give him the extra day. Besides he can't win the regional by himself.

Did I miss something, since you're saying we play Thursday? It's Friday, and you want Garland to throw Friday, then go Ligon and Rosario as usual, if we go that far.

That keeps our rotation is good shape, giving Garland a later start, and closer to his next potential appearance.

Besides, I'd like to think these guys want to win the tournament, if possible, and that situation keeps everything intact

Sorry, thought it was Wednesday and Thursday. Forgot game 2 was Friday with the day off in-between. My point remains though. And I know it’s unorthodox. But to me I’d almost rather only play 2 games this week and head home. Nobody cares about the ACC tourney. Get 2 games to keep sharp and get home to rest. I’m not saying concede them or anything but throw Garland tonight and Palm in Game 2 to keep him on schedule. If we win, great. Let’s play the weekend and win the whole thing. If not, that’s fine too. Worked out OK for MSU last year.

Advertisement
Sorry, thought it was Wednesday and Thursday. Forgot game 2 was Friday with the day off in-between. My point remains though. And I know it’s unorthodox. But to me I’d almost rather only play 2 games this week and head home. Nobody cares about the ACC tourney. Get 2 games to keep sharp and get home to rest. I’m not saying concede them or anything but throw Garland tonight and Palm in Game 2 to keep him on schedule. If we win, great. Let’s play the weekend and win the whole thing. If not, that’s fine too. Worked out OK for MSU last year.
While you may be right that no one cares about the ACC tournament. I'd almost like to see what the opinion of the players would be.

As a former player myself, I wanted those bragging rights, especially with the young group that we have right now.

We should save Palm for G2, especially if it's UF. They love throwing the Florida schools together, and now that FSU has lost a projected regional host, the Gator are trending towards Coral Gables (low 2 seed, maybe even a 3). He threw well against them in the regular season, and I'd rather experience throw in that spot instead of Karson or Rosario. Go Garland G1 - he's experienced, thrown in the postseason before, and should be able to beat a 4 seed.

Edit: Yes Garland got roughed up last postseason (vs. South Alabama if y'all recall) but I'd still trust him vs. a 4-seed. 5-6 innings should be doable.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lou up 4-2 on Pitt, B5.

In games elsewhere that may help us, #9 Okie State is down 3-0 to Texas in the 9th.
Pete Hansen threw a gem for Texas, that dude can beat any team in the country. Mederos threw well for Ok St. too - imagine if we had kept him somehow...staff would be dangerous.

Advertisement
Back