ACC Tournament

If we lose our pool to Carolina, Illinois doesn’t 0-2, WVU makes a run, and LSU and/or A&M makes a run there is little chance we host. The only way to guarantee it is to win our pool and take the 4th hosting spot from carolina. State will also play a small part, but ultimately I believe the ACC gets 4 hosts

Advertisement
If we lose our pool to Carolina, Illinois doesn’t 0-2, WVU makes a run, and LSU and/or A&M makes a run there is little chance we host. The only way to guarantee it is to win our pool and take the 4th hosting spot from carolina. State will also play a small part, but ultimately I believe the ACC gets 4 hosts

Agree for the most part, although Illinois probably would need to make a run as well, not just avoid 0-2. Say they go 1-2 (vs their group of Maryland, Michigan, Ohio St), they wouldnt pass us.

Hopefully Virginia beats UNC in game 1 to just knock out UNC

Agree for the most part, although Illinois probably would need to make a run as well, not just avoid 0-2. Say they go 1-2 (vs their group of Maryland, Michigan, Ohio St), they wouldnt pass us.

Hopefully Virginia beats UNC in game 1 to just knock out UNC

Illinois has more wiggle room than you’d think. Our pedigree will not win our shen it goes up against a non power on th west coast or from the north when it’s for a host spot. They love having a Big 10 hosts. I’m just being honest when I say if we don’t win our pool, we’ll be sitting on pins and needles come Sunday. I also have a feeling there will be a bunch of complaining from the crowd claiming, “we’re fine” right now if we don’t get a host.

What are the gaytors chances since they swept #22 Missouri over the weekend on the road? I think they are in and headed to Coral Gables if we host.

Advertisement
What are the gaytors chances since they swept #22 Missouri over the weekend on the road? I think they are in and headed to Coral Gables if we host.

They finished 11th in the SEC and four games under .500, and that is usually a dead no. So they pretty much have to get to the finals of the SECT at this point.

Thursday 3pm vs UVA
Friday 3pm vs UNC

UVA vs UNC is at 7pm on Wednesday. That game will tell us which of our pool games is meaningless from an ACC Tournament advancement perspective.

Plenty of rest for our starting pitching on that schedule, but it would be a problem from a Veliz/Federman standpoint come Saturday or Sunday.

This is actually fairly favorable IMO - gives max rest to our taxed and healing rotation. And I still believe we only need 1 win (if at all, depending on what others do) to ensure we host.

I suspect LSU is in with their 19 wins vs RPI Top 50. WVU is a long shot; TX A&M and Illinois are the two looking to make a statement and jump us and/or NC/NCST.

Advertisement
I doubt the committee puts too much stock in the ACC tourney or any major conference tourney.

If you followed selection day you would know that conference tournaments make a difference. Look at last year's projections before the conference tournaments and then the actual selections after the conference tournaments.

This is actually fairly favorable IMO - gives max rest to our taxed and healing rotation. And I still believe we only need 1 win (if at all, depending on what others do) to ensure we host.
I think we need at least one win. Our RPI and Top 50 record are already fairly borderline, I’m not sure they could take an 0-2. Two wins should make it comfortable, and prevent us with being paired with UCLA or Vandy for the Supers.

Advertisement
It seems like there are 12 locked in hosts right now:

1- UCLA
2- Vandy
3- MSU
4- Arky
5- Louisville
6- Georgia
7-Tex Tech
8- Stanford
9- GT
10- ECU
11- Okla St
12- Oregon St

Then the next 4 right now would be: A&M, NC St, Miami, LSU.

But then are still some teams that could play well and get a spot if any of those 4 falter: UCSB, Illinois, UNC, West VA.

So 1-1 wouldnt play us out of a top-16 seed, but it could allow one of those other teams to take it with a good week. If we go 2-0 in pool play, there will almost certainly be a CG Regional
Look out for Indiana too. They won the B10, need to get into the RPI top 20 for a chance, but they are a more viable option than Illinois, IMO.

I think we need at least one win. Our RPI and Top 50 record are already fairly borderline, I’m not sure they could take an 0-2. Two wins should make it comfortable, and prevent us with being paired with UCLA or Vandy for the Supers.

Good point - don't see those two losing their regional or super.

Good point - don't see those two losing their regional or super.

UCLA, Vandy, Arkansas, Mississippi State....none of those are very enticing. We need to bump up the resume so that we're paired with a Louisville or Georgia Tech.

Advertisement
Assuming Jenkins and Rivera are given a clean bill of health before Thursday, who are you sending out there against UVA?

Advertisement
Back