ACC 2022 Kickoff Meetings begin Wed

Not impressed with him at all, which is a shame. My recollection of him speaking in the past was that he was more confident and forceful. He stumbled all over his remarks.

He was never going to say anything controversial- anyone expecting that was delusional.

The ACC cares about academics and olympic sports more than the other conferences
I was never that impressed with Phillips from the get go. He seemed like too much of a “nice guy” - at least in front of the camera. He’s got a helluva challenge in front of him and it’ll be interesting to see how he handles it.

Advertisement
Not impressed with him at all, which is a shame. My recollection of him speaking in the past was that he was more confident and forceful. He stumbled all over his remarks.

He was never going to say anything controversial- anyone expecting that was delusional.

The ACC cares about academics and olympic sports more than the other conferences
The ACC and Pac 12 are similar in that regard. We see where the Pac stands right now.

Advertisement
Phillips job "publicly" is to represent the conference in all sports for the greater good. Not necessarilly a popular opinion of revenue generating sports but its part his job description... The GOR deal keeps the ACC alive.
Hopefully behind the scenes its a different take... .

Rad's job is not for the ACC, but is to get Miami is the BEST position to succeed and not rest of the ACC. Getting out of that GOR deal is the first step.

Basically where we are at.

JC

Only question is now that a reputable reporter, Andrea Nelson, has thrown out a number to get out of the GOR ($120M).....how does Prez/Rad/Mario proceed?

Do you temporarily delay the facilities upgrades etc, so that you can bite the GOR bullet?....which will allow you to absolutely make that revenue back in short order if/when joining the SEC or B1G.

Decisions, Decisions...guess time will tell.

Just for sake of where I stand, not that it matters....but I say put a hold on facilities etc, get an agreement with a P2 conference, you go ahead and pay that $120M...

I'd imagine if it were that simple it'd probably already be done though right?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I tried to be optimistic about Phillips because at least his resume/background displayed no clear line to being subservient to the Carolina schools.

But new boss same as the old boss in that they're both obviously small-minded and reactionary versus anything resembling the extreme proactive aggressiveness that would be required to even having a Hail Mary shot at saving the conference let alone making it even remotely competitive financially.

We need out and I'm fine even if it means getting in bed with the hilljacks. Pawwwllll's themesong is growing on me. I may even start vacationing in Destin. It wasn't about slavery, it was about states' rights....

Advertisement
Back