Aaron Hernandez Verified with CTE

The thing I don't get about CTE is why is it exclusive to football? Why haven't other sports such as boxing, MMA, ect. also been found to have CTE? Can someone explain that to me?

Regardless football is not going to go away. Even with more CTE data, the most that will happen is that there will be more education and understanding of risk associated with careers that could lead it. There will be laws written into contracts to provide education to athletes. And the public sector will be charged with coming up with solutions to treat or diagnose.

Advertisement
This is the only escape some people have from an even worse outcome. As long as there are people willing to risk their bodies to make a livelihood for their family, the game will go on

It's a means of survival for a lot of these kids, and some people fail to realize that without it, some wouldn't be here today

So is selling drugs (a means of survival) and you don't see a lot of people endorsing that. Football was barred before, it can be barred again. And...with the drip, drip, drip of (admittedly inconclusive) information I can't say that i will always support football.

ALRIGHTY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH GOTDAMMITTTTT... IF THEY END FB IN THE COUNTRY I WILL KILL MY **** SELF!!!
NOT SURE IF YOUR POST ON FOOTBALL'S END IS CTE INDUCING ENOUGH TO CAUSE/LEAD TO YOUR SELF TERMINATION, BUT IT SURE LOCKS MY CAPS BUTTON.

I don't think playing football vs selling drugs is a legitimate comparison of means of survival. One is deleterious towards the user and their families (Football), while the other is responsible for mass murders and incarcerations across the world. Apples vs. oranges. My point being, who are we to take away the opportunity of a disadvantaged child to provide for their family, while doing no harm to anyone else? Would we rather them be on the streets selling drugs, corrupting those he sells the drugs to, and ultimately destroying not only their lives, but also the lives of all of those around them?

I understand that CTE is a debilitating disease that can ultimately take over someone's mind and ruin their ability to be themselves and function, however, these same people could have also died at the age of 14 on the corner of their street. Not sure about you, but I'd rather live an additional 50 years and then go insane than be killed at the age of 14 and leave my family with nothing except grief.

I'm on board with whatever Jose Baez says. He is a bastion of integrity. Just ask Caylee Anthony.

Btw, when are we ever going to start getting CTE based conclusions out of other universities or medical institutions not named Boston University? Seems like they have quite the little cottage industry of labeling EVERY brain they get as riddled with CTE. And I'm surrrrre all the junior neurosurgeons/fearmongers would say "That's because they're the PREMIER research facility for this!"-- which is strange because if it's such settled science then these type of findings should be coming from everywhere.

And f*ck Hernandez. He was a scumbag as a teenager, a collegian and a pro. Zero sympathy for his soul rotting in **** or his scumbag fiance or his family members (not all but some like his uncle) that enabled him and covered things up for him. The world is a better place with Hernandez dead.

You sound like one of the few people that have posted here, that actually gets it.

There is no irrefutable concrete evidence out there that allow scientific determinations to be made. Right now there are just associations and theories. Unfortunately, laypeople do not understand science, and do not understand scientific rigor that needs to be used in standards of proof. There are plenty of scientist s from other universities that have expressed skepticism about conclusions being drawn without sufficient scientific proof.

I am not a denier, but I also strongly believe in science, and the standards of scientific proof. When those are met then I think we can come to better conclusions but we are nowhere near that yet

Last edited:
This is the only escape some people have from an even worse outcome. As long as there are people willing to risk their bodies to make a livelihood for their family, the game will go on

It's a means of survival for a lot of these kids, and some people fail to realize that without it, some wouldn't be here today

So is selling drugs (a means of survival) and you don't see a lot of people endorsing that. Football was barred before, it can be barred again. And...with the drip, drip, drip of (admittedly inconclusive) information I can't say that i will always support football.

ALRIGHTY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH GOTDAMMITTTTT... IF THEY END FB IN THE COUNTRY I WILL KILL MY **** SELF!!!
NOT SURE IF YOUR POST ON FOOTBALL'S END IS CTE INDUCING ENOUGH TO CAUSE/LEAD TO YOUR SELF TERMINATION, BUT IT SURE LOCKS MY CAPS BUTTON.

I don't think playing football vs selling drugs is a legitimate comparison of means of survival. One is deleterious towards the user and their families (Football), while the other is responsible for mass murders and incarcerations across the world. Apples vs. oranges. My point being, who are we to take away the opportunity of a disadvantaged child to provide for their family, while doing no harm to anyone else? Would we rather them be on the streets selling drugs, corrupting those he sells the drugs to, and ultimately destroying not only their lives, but also the lives of all of those around them?

I understand that CTE is a debilitating disease that can ultimately take over someone's mind and ruin their ability to be themselves and function, however, these same people could have also died at the age of 14 on the corner of their street. Not sure about you, but I'd rather live an additional 50 years and then go insane than be killed at the age of 14 and leave my family with nothing except grief.
Your post...LOL...makes NO sense...given history, previous laws... I'm being charitable. I deleted my original post...not worth the explanation.

Here's an article that is balanced, and written so that even lay people can understand it. The issue is far from settled. The authors of this article were not paid by anybody and have no ax to grind and no water to carry for any specific group. But it just shows you that there is not scientific agreement here at all

The Science Is Still Gray on CTE | DiscoverMagazine.com

Advertisement
CTE is like a herniated disc. A lot of people may have it, but not everyone feels the effects. It's an imperfect science to say the least and a lot of the media publicity is simply playing the result. I'm sure you could look at FB players who had successful post-playing lives and find CTE as well. Unless those "non-afflicted" players donate their brains at an equal rate you can't really draw conclusions about the longterm effects on behavior and health.

When people are forced to shoot themselves in the chest to get the ball rolling on science you can certainly start sounding alarms. In fact it was the NFL who paid doctors to draw up "conclusions" that football was safe before independent scientist jumped in.

Sooooo what is "forcing" people that are just suffering from severe depression to shoot themselves in the chest too? Not that it wouldn't give someone in the throws of that at least a final sense of purpose to think they're doing something larger than themselves by killing themselves that way. We HAVE assigned additional dignity to the guys that have done that. It's probably somewhat dangerous to be assigning honor to suicide too but that's a different debate.

They sacrificed themselves for the game of football and then sacrificed themselves for science. Nobody is in a position to assign honor to another man that's your first problem. Honor is earned within.

Here's an article that is balanced, and written so that even lay people can understand it. The issue is far from settled. The authors of this article were not paid by anybody and have no ax to grind and no water to carry for any specific group. But it just shows you that there is not scientific agreement here at all

The Science Is Still Gray on CTE | DiscoverMagazine.com

Todd Ewen's suicide in that article very well could exemplify another danger in relation to depression by itself that I referenced. This guy was sure he had CTE and killed himself. By the standards today which seem to always fall with finding at least some sort of CTE -this guy's brain was still shown to have no signs of it. So we're running a real danger here with CTE hysteria of scaring guys that may just be suffering from depression into believing they have a horrible disease that'll only worsen and then perhaps increasing suicide rates.

Last edited:
The thing I don't get about CTE is why is it exclusive to football? Why haven't other sports such as boxing, MMA, ect. also been found to have CTE? Can someone explain that to me?

Regardless football is not going to go away. Even with more CTE data, the most that will happen is that there will be more education and understanding of risk associated with careers that could lead it. There will be laws written into contracts to provide education to athletes. And the public sector will be charged with coming up with solutions to treat or diagnose.

You're joking right? Google Boxer CTE before typing next time.

Advertisement
CTE is like a herniated disc. A lot of people may have it, but not everyone feels the effects. It's an imperfect science to say the least and a lot of the media publicity is simply playing the result. I'm sure you could look at FB players who had successful post-playing lives and find CTE as well. Unless those "non-afflicted" players donate their brains at an equal rate you can't really draw conclusions about the longterm effects on behavior and health.

When people are forced to shoot themselves in the chest to get the ball rolling on science you can certainly start sounding alarms. In fact it was the NFL who paid doctors to draw up "conclusions" that football was safe before independent scientist jumped in.

Sooooo what is "forcing" people that are just suffering from severe depression to shoot themselves in the chest too? Not that it wouldn't give someone in the throws of that at least a final sense of purpose to think they're doing something larger than themselves by killing themselves that way. We HAVE assigned additional dignity to the guys that have done that. It's probably somewhat dangerous to be assigning honor to suicide too but that's a different debate.

They sacrificed themselves for the game of football and then sacrificed themselves for science. Nobody is in a position to assign honor to another man that's your first problem. Honor is earned within.

You just assigned honor by using the word "sacrifice" twice in describing their lives and deaths. Your notion is correct but the perception of societal disbursed honor still exists and many of us and the media certainly dignify those suicides in a manner we don't other types.

Not that interesting.. dude was thuggin in high school supposedly.. don't think CTE played a factor in him killing people if that's what you meant

No, it's extremely interesting from a legal angle. Pats, NFL and perhaps even the University of Florida might get sued. The people he killed might file suit against these entities, as well as the Hernandez estate. That's where I think this is going

Also the CTE debate will intensify. Put you head in the sand all you want

Why stop there? Why not sue the high school he played at? Or the organizers of the booster club teams he played for when his brain was still developing? How about the parents who organized booster club.....or ****, his own parents for allowing him to play? Maybe the makers of the helmets that are obviously not protecting players enough. I'm personally going to sue ESPN for showing football games and making me fall in love with the sport and play myself as a kid, which lead to my documented concussions.

It's the most obvious of money grabs. People looking for a handout and excuse for some gang banger who killed someone. Based on stories from those who were at UF with him, that dude was already well beyond crazy and demented as a teenager. CTE had nothing to do with his crimes. If the family was doing it to prove a point to the NFL about safety, then donate any settlements for CTE research. And the suicide? People commit suicide all the time and lots of people who played football and had concussions never commit suicide.

Playing football is a choice and physically risky, but people want to sue for damage sustained while playing. I don't see any difference to smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol excessively or taking drugs, bungee jumping, ski diving, boxing, or taking medication with known risks. What about things like cell phones, microwaves, wireless electronics, satellite TV, etc that produce radiation that you may NOT choose to buy, use or be around but you have no choice since they are everyone in society? The data on those studies is usually inconclusive.

Last edited:

Lots of hysteria about shutting down MMA? Those gyms seem to be popping up in every ****ty stripmall across this country. Where's the hysteria about girls soccer and concussions too? The laziness of the media in only warring on football hurts the overall argument here because they know including every sport in the concussion talk wouldn't fly or be as ****.

I have always heard football associated with CTE but should have googled it first. Thanks for the info

Advertisement
I've engaged in race and CTE talk here in one day so this is going to be my last comment before I punish myself and go run steps for the next 6 hrs or until I learn to stick to football.

If the ESPN CTE soapboxers and moralists feel sooooooo strong about this then why is Ed Cunningham the only name we've heard of to walk away from collecting a check that football largely contributes to? Until then, the Lebatards and Sarah Spains and Kornheisers of the world should shut the **** up because they're more morally complicit in this horror than us fans.

Your post...LOL...makes NO sense...given history, previous laws... I'm being charitable. I deleted my original post...not worth the explanation.

Please, enlighten my naive and feable mind. I anxiously await your articulate response you so generously removed from our graces

I thought this dude offed himself to protect his estate for his family, from the family of the murder victim? Something to do with avoiding a civil suit because of his death relative to the proceedings?

Advertisement
He was hoping the concussions would clear up his sociopathic behavior.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

We have to be reaching a point soon where these dangers are pretty commonly known and the lawsuits will have no merit

That fool been murking people since he was in hs. I dont want to hear shît about no cte.

You just assigned honor by using the word "sacrifice" twice in describing their lives and deaths. Your notion is correct but the perception of societal disbursed honor still exists and many of us and the media certainly dignify those suicides in a manner we don't other types.

Are you trying to say they didn't make sacrifices? I think you're confusing the word honor with acceptance and applied rationale from family and media AFTER the death. Brain trauma related depression has been well documented going back to world war 1 when it was called "shell shock". In many cases brain trauma and the after effects is the cause of the depression. To treat them as separate conditions is dishonest at this point.

Whose to say that treating only the depression of CTE athletes isn't doing more harm than good. The side effects of depression medicine are nothing to play with. And there is very little science to study their effects on physically damaged brains. Treating a symptom and ignoring the cause is the most dangerous course of action.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back