A word...

Below is the rock I will boldly jump off, into the shimmering waters off the coast of “south beach”.

Quoting RVA because it illustrates something I've been thinking about lately, regarding why there seems to be so many issues on the site right now. So here’s my piece of moldy cheesecake on the last few months, as a mod:

This place has sucked. Badly and progressively. It makes me long for the days of debating the 2-gap 4-3, Yearby v Cook, and Butch v the world. Those were the conversations that, no matter how awful people acted in the moment, I could shrug off as the angry ramblings of internet nutjobs who were just as bored yet passionate as me. We were looking for ways to connect, and this was the place much like grassy, CI, etc before it. It was simple.

Right now everything is as jacked as a 4th quarter halfback pass in an actual war zone. Nothing makes sense, the weather is terrible, but worst of all I know many, many people fiercely and honestly believe there is a life or death struggle happening for millions of Americans “like them”. Who look like them, talk them, smell like them. Whether its COVID or their business or their job or their dad or their mom or their black child or their black self or their white uncle who’s a cop or his wife who lost him in the line of duty or an immigrant who can’t get his family in the country or a Christian who feels like she can’t believe in Christ himself without losing her job or Muslim who gets blamed for ish he’s never even considered let alone done it’s just a head wrap man chill or the many, many members aged 60+ we have on CIS who can’t even go to Publix without a stupid, stupid freaking mask on that just might save their life but should they wear gloves too or check their temperature or see their grandkids just once please God or die alone in their house telling everyone they’re cool and can’t wait to get “back to normal” while their neighbor can’t survive another day without his gun shop open or her food truck is about to get repo’d while his son with diabetes just went into a coma and his boss’ wife is tired of reminding her boys exactly how to act if they get pulled over or to not go into anyone’s yard and to leave the area if they see a white person on the phone.

I have never felt so different than all of you in my entire life on CIS. I have never felt more unlike all of you, and it hurts. I can’t escape the anger, fear, weariness and all of the above on every page of every thread. (I am not saying each of us has endured the same things). Especially when each and every thread quickly takes the same tornadic form and empties all kindness down the same heartless drain with the same torrential force to the same sickening sound. For the first time being at CIS I feel like I’m trying to moderate hearts instead of words, and I love y’all but it’s the worst. I can’t do it, I don’t know your lives, I don’t really know your hearts. But I know you’re not ok.

If CIS was a patient I’d say she’s pretty sick, and that I don’t know how to help. I want her to get better — soon — but it’s going to take some time and a lot of healthy choices along the way. All I can ask is that you guys try — just try, please — to be softer with your words and compassionate in your approach.

I don’t want lifelong enemies to be made in this awful window of time, it makes me ill to see it unfolding. Again, hate each other because you think Butch should be the head coach — that crap is irrelevant. But don’t hate each other because of things that matter, because of who you are as people. That hurts to see, because you will remember that in your heart far longer than you will who supported Golden til the end (except for that one guy who everyone somehow remembers. No, not him, the one who confuses his meat with his charcoal. Good guy regardless.)

My dad was the one who made me a Cane. He was from Illinois and moved to Ft. Lauderdale when he was in his early 20s, back when Miami was still Suntan U. We left south Florida when I was ten, but stayed true canes and learned to live alone with our fandom. He died 14 years ago in a construction accident.

I have one real life friend who’s a Miami fan, @Cribby, and I met him through CaneInsider. We started goofing off in the chat feature they had way back, then when Brandin Odoi went nuts on everyone we took it off the site and emailed each other, way back when that was not so easy to do. Eventually we started texting, I thought he was black, learned I was wrong, normal internet friend stuff. We didn’t speak on the phone for years, maybe 5+, until he lost a very close relative. Since then it’s no big deal to chat, and it’s become an amazing friendship. We even spoke today about the State of the U and the State of the Union. It was great. It was simple.

You can’t be Cribby’s friend like me, but please don’t lose sight of why we are all here: to participate in the privately-funded social circus known as UM athletics, alongside the countless uncaged animals who inhabit it like me, Cribby, and the rest of you.

Anyway, you don’t care and I look forward to locking this thread.

View attachment 119544
Well said mate, we’ll said indeed.

Advertisement
Became a fan the following yr; had no idea about the 86 team til that 30/30. Went back & rewatched that game at least 8x on YouTube, hoping for a different outcome each time. Imo, that has the be the biggest head scratching loss in CFB history. I mean, PSU was absolutely dominated in every facet of the game, except the sloppiness displayed. Smh.
I was 8 days away from 14. Reading the paper watching local news leading up to the game. Hyped. Then vinny.

That’s not difficult at all. One was a coach, the other a babysitter. It’s just the children he babysat were Goliaths to the rest of the football world
Fair enough. I think the 01 team beats 86, in a tight, close game. Stubbs, Jerome, Bennie Blades and the rest of that defense aren’t about to let the 01 team run away with anything. Johnson outcoaches Coker and his, but talent on the field wins out in the end.

Advertisement
tenor (65).gif

Since resuming operations in 1999, the Browns have struggled to find success. They have had only two winning seasons (in 2002 and 2007), one playoff appearance (2002), and no playoff wins, winning only approximately a third of their games in total

Think about this and 🤫 Butch was coaching in Cleveland for two years. A new coach in year TWO in the “not for long league” on a new to the league team. He did follow Chris Palmer, who was 5-27 and obviously left him a loaded team lmao. EIGHTEEN years later and they’re still praying for the playoffs, in a league where you’re pretty much guaranteed a post season birth with a 500% record. Ten TEN multimillion dollar head coaches later and not a single trip to the postseason, two decades later. Ask Cleveland if they’d like another charlatan as their head coach.... I know I would like one here!

The CFB world would be a lot different had Butch not left Miami, or if Miami had brought him back after Cleveland. We'd have several more titles.

Fair enough. I think the 01 team beats 86, in a tight, close game. Stubbs, Jerome, Bennie Blades and the rest of that defense aren’t about to let the 01 team run away with anything. Johnson outcoaches Coker and his, but talent on the field wins out in the end.

I can see that

But Vinny still throws 10. Lol

Advertisement
On 11/23/19 Butch proved to be a game day coach.

The guy went 4-0 in bowl games while here. FIU is having their most successful stretch in their history now. I don’t know where the “he’s not a game day coach” rhetoric comes from. He had to build us up, build UNC up, and now building FIU. He’s never taken over a fluid program; even the Cleveland Browns.

You'd be surprised how much of the banner and other anger towards Butch back in the day was because of horrible time management and the same mind numbing penalties we still see today.

Bad time outs, procedural problems and my God the penalties were a constant during his time here.

By the end we were just out-talenting everyone to blowout wins.

Sorry brother I can't call a guy a good game day coach when he loses three conference games by a combined 100+ points in his third year at a program, One of those came to a UAB program that didn't even exist a few years ago.

Last edited:
” Butch was a good game day coach “ might be the funniest thing I’ve ever read. Jesus.

He was a great evaluator but a straight up bad game day coach. Read up on what Bruce Ariana thinks of him as a coach lol. There’s a reason unc blew so many late leads under him, in the fourth quarter he wanted to go two deep safety, run the clock and tuck his wiener between his butt cheeks. Miami he could do that , there’s few other places he could’ve had the same results. His location plus his evaluation skills made it a perfect storm. Back before there was recruiting info, videos or data on a player always at arms reach.

Dude was never in saban or Meyers stratosphere , Put butch at a bowling green or Utah back in the day and it would’ve been hilarity.

I’m amazed at his legend growing here lol, I don’t get it but oh well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Perfectly stated, Josh Cribbs. Another thing people don't really get is that JJ wasn't much better as an actual technician.

JJ was very similar to Booch. Incredible recruiter/evaluator and a decent motivator through fear. But JJ laid many many eggs as a gameday coach including the Fiesta Bowl and the Sugar Bowl when Johnny Major wiped his *** with JJ's face, not to mention the Maryland game. Then, there were several examples with the Fins including the time Tom Coughlin gutted him like a sea bass in the playoffs.

The Big Buck, Wayne Fontes, even humiliated him in the playoffs one year when he went in with a plan to have Erik Kramer throw on every down anticipating that JJ's entire plan centered around stopping Barry Sanders. JJ never did adapt in that game.

Perfectly stated, Josh Cribbs. Another thing people don't really get is that JJ wasn't much better as an actual technician.

JJ was very similar to Booch. Incredible recruiter/evaluator and a decent motivator through fear. But JJ laid many many eggs as a gameday coach including the Fiesta Bowl and the Sugar Bowl when Johnny Major wiped his *** with JJ's face, not to mention the Maryland game. Then, there were several examples with the Fins including the time Tom Coughlin gutted him like a sea bass in the playoffs.

The Big Buck, Wayne Fontes, even humiliated him in the playoffs one year when he went in with a plan to have Erik Kramer throw on every down anticipating that JJ's entire plan centered around stopping Barry Sanders. JJ never did adapt in that game.

I remember when I first started at UM, JJ was considered HIGHLY SUSPECT as a gameday coach. 1987 saved his reputation in that regard, but people forget what actually happened when it happened.

I don't blame JJ for 1984, he had a gun put to his head and he was forced to keep Schnellenberger's coaches, who were very resentful. If we look at the coaches who stayed, the were on the offense side. The ones we pushed out were on D. That motherfvcking D absolutely collapsed against Maryland, and it gave us the chance for JJ to bring in better coaches.

1985 started off poorly, but it was also the last game we lost in the Orange Bowl until 1994. But it was that Tennessee game that really gave JJ the rep as a poor game-day coach.

1986 was beginning to wipe that rep away until Ped State Sanduskied us.

By 1987, the world was certain that JJ was a crappy big-game/game-day coach. Though we did go 12-0.

And in 1988, we got screwed by the refs in South Bendover.

Then JJ had to re-prove himself all over again in Dallas after starting 1-15.

And don't even get me started on how every freakin' year, The Miami Hurricane would open the fall semester with an article asking if THIS was the year that Miami would drop 2 regular season games again.

I remember when I first started at UM, JJ was considered HIGHLY SUSPECT as a gameday coach. 1987 saved his reputation in that regard, but people forget what actually happened when it happened.

I don't blame JJ for 1984, he had a gun put to his head and he was forced to keep Schnellenberger's coaches, who were very resentful. If we look at the coaches who stayed, the were on the offense side. The ones we pushed out were on D. That motherfvcking D absolutely collapsed against Maryland, and it gave us the chance for JJ to bring in better coaches.

1985 started off poorly, but it was also the last game we lost in the Orange Bowl until 1994. But it was that Tennessee game that really gave JJ the rep as a poor game-day coach.

1986 was beginning to wipe that rep away until Ped State Sanduskied us.

By 1987, the world was certain that JJ was a crappy big-game/game-day coach. Though we did go 12-0.

And in 1988, we got screwed by the refs in South Bendover.

Then JJ had to re-prove himself all over again in Dallas after starting 1-15.

And don't even get me started on how every freakin' year, The Miami Hurricane would open the fall semester with an article asking if THIS was the year that Miami would drop 2 regular season games again.
JJ and Booch were absolute savants in one area--evaluation. Their genius in that area allowed them to thrive at times. And JJ's ability to hoodwink the Vikings led to much of his success with the Cowboys.

Advertisement
Not just Vinny...Plenty of other blame to go around....Cuz was a GA at UM in 86....we've talked plenty about the game...Waayyy more than just Vinny...
I was to young to know anything else. Guy threw a ton of picks and we lost by one score.

Advertisement
Back