A win is a win, but.... (some thoughts on the Pitt victory)

k9cane

Senior
OK, always good to win. But like too many wins of the past, you see that overall, there are some bigger issues

Lashlee has to find another play on first down than the inside zone-read as the foundation to this offense(at least for this season). Bottom line, the interior of the Oline isn't good enough vs certain defenses. The problem is, the WR crew doesn't scare anyone. But I did notice Keyshawn and X get reps. Get the kids out there, go with the youth movement, give them more reps. What's being trotted out there currently, isn't nearly good enough

But going back to the overall offense, in my view, Lashlee has to use the short passing game on early downs, create drives early, and then as the defenses are worn out in the second half, rely more on the zone-read. But right now, that play is being snuffed out with regularity

King is a very effective college QB, but you see his limitations. Today, I thought he was very jittery in the pocket. Again, not so sure what's going on downfield and if anyone's open, but this is what I observed on TV. To me, he just needs to play free and loose and at times just run like **** and make plays with his legs.

Defense, some really good individual talent, but something looks/feels very unsound from a structural standpoint with this unit. Some of the X-and-O gurus have broken it down at length. And it matches the feelings that I was getting. At times Joey 'MC' Yellen was shredding us, and they had one really key drop in the beginning of the 4th quarter on 3rd and 10.

Wanted to point out, I saw Flagg and Brooks play more together, I like this combo infinitely more than McCloud and Jennings. That duo is simply a liability out there.

Also, Tecory Couch is becoming a very good slot CB, he's coming on as a player

So a win is a win, but yeah, there are some concerns...

Advertisement
Key Smith needs to play more. Even start. He’s the only deep threat. It’s no coincidence Hartley was wide open for his TD the play after King just missed Smith on a deep ball. Both DBs mistakenly covered Smith running deep, again.

Carter is just awful at S. Out of position, bad tackler, and goes for kill shot too often.

OK, always good to win. But like too many wins of the past, you see that overall, there are some bigger issues

Lashlee has to find another play on first down than the inside zone-read as the foundation to this offense(at least for this season). Bottom line, the interior of the Oline isn't good enough vs certain defenses. The problem is, the WR crew doesn't scare anyone. But I did notice Keyshawn and X get reps. Get the kids out there, go with the youth movement, give them more reps. What's being trotted out there currently, isn't nearly good enough

But going back to the overall offense, in my view, Lashlee has to use the short passing game on early downs, create drives early, and then as the defenses are worn out in the second half, rely more on the zone-read. But right now, that play is being snuffed out with regularity

King is a very effective college QB, but you see his limitations. Today, I thought he was very jittery in the pocket. Again, not so sure what's going on downfield and if anyone's open, but this is what I observed on TV. To me, he just needs to play free and loose and at times just run like **** and make plays with his legs.

Defense, some really good individual talent, but something looks/feels very unsound from a structural standpoint with this unit. Some of the X-and-O gurus have broken it down at length. And it matches the feelings that I was getting. At times Joey 'MC' Yellen was shredding us, and they had one really key drop in the beginning of the 4th quarter on 3rd and 10.

Wanted to point out, I saw Flagg and Brooks play more together, I like this combo infinitely more than McCloud and Jennings. That duo is simply a liability out there.

Also, Tecory Couch is becoming a very good slot CB, he's coming on as a player

So a win is a win, but yeah, there are some concerns...
We get a win but Pickett not playing was a break for UM. PITT left some points out there. Again, take the win but far from dominating

Advertisement
FLAGG was active. Im liking his game as an early down defender.

- I Liked our DL rotation. But at this point i want Jon Ford seeing the field less if he is not going to be productive.

Hate our run game....Need to get some more tosses, Jet sweeps, to go along with that inside zone that we likely dont hit on alot the rest of the year. But if you watch Malzahn at Auburn that is ther sh*t. For example if we get a big play....about 85% of the times after that expect inside zone...And on 1st downs it has to be over 60% a playcall for Lashlee.

Pitt's D is pretty good. King doesnt make the 2 bonehead passes i dont think Pitt scores more than 14. So all in all ill take the win. I for sure wasnt expecting some 3 score blow out.

Advertisement
Key Smith needs to play more. Even start. He’s the only deep threat. It’s no coincidence Hartley was wide open for his TD the play after King just missed Smith on a deep ball. Both DBs mistakenly covered Smith running deep, again.

Carter is just awful at S. Out of position, bad tackler, and goes for kill shot too often.

Smith makes the secondary back off. Changes the O just having him in the game. Just throw to him down the sideline where if he doesn't catch it, it goes out of bounds. I think we could get 2-3 PIs as the DBs panic to catch up.

FLAGG was active. Im liking his game as an early down defender.

- I Liked our DL rotation. But at this point i want Jon Ford seeing the field less if he is not going to be productive.

Hate our run game....Need to get some more tosses, Jet sweeps, to go along with that inside zone that we likely dont hit on alot the rest of the year. But if you watch Malzahn at Auburn that is ther sh*t. For example if we get a big play....about 85% of the times after that expect inside zone...And on 1st downs it has to be over 60% a playcall for Lashlee.

Pitt's D is pretty good. King doesnt make the 2 bonehead passes i dont think Pitt scores more than 14. So all in all ill take the win. I for sure wasnt expecting some 3 score blow out.
True. Pitt was gifted 10 points on King’s picks.

Couch was sticking to WRs like glue!

Pitt QB had a 47% completion percentage. Guys were acting like he completed 80% lol.

It’s football if a QB throws 45+ times guys are going to get some passes caught on them.

It’s more embarrassing that you pass 46 times and don’t get over 300 yards.
This.

people forget this is whipple ball still at the end of the day....

Super unimpressive but when things got tight in the redzone they fell apart

Advertisement
Honestly, King only had one good throw all game - the out to Pope on third down.

For whatever reason he's regressed as a passer. Either that Clemson game shook him, or teams are now just going to copy that game plan and only give him the flats and deep balls.
He very nearly missed Harley downfield on that TD. Not the most accurate QB but ... glad we have him over what the alternatives would have been.

Advertisement
Where has the RPO game gone? We ran it with the 'now' screen and King threw a pick on one to close the first half, but there has been very little. Especially when WR and King are struggling.

I say this I agree w the IZ comment but you can’t stop running it. All defense wants to make you one dimensional but at least make them work to do it.

Triple option works off the dive all the defense has to do is take one play off and it pops and everything . Same here. But lash and king have to find a way to win those 1 on 1 outside and get in rhythm early

Honestly, King only had one good throw all game - the out to Pope on third down.

For whatever reason he's regressed as a passer. Either that Clemson game shook him, or teams are now just going to copy that game plan and only give him the flats and deep balls.
Did he get injured in the Clemson game? Something seems wrong.

We have to learn how to take care of business. Clemson took care of business against GT. Even though they had hiccups, they put the clamps on GT. Never let them feel that they were in it. Pitt had a new QB with no running game. We let them stay in the game until the middle of the 4th Qtr.

Advertisement
Back