A win is a win, but.... (some thoughts on the Pitt victory)

Advertisement
Definitely need to play the younger WRs more. When Wiggins, Pope and Harley are the 3 out they basically make the same mistakes as freshman so why not play guys who will likely get better? I would like to see more Smith on the outside and slide Pope in slot over Harley.

Now, with that said Miami is 4-1, I hope my original post didn't come off as too negative. Now it's onto UVA, a very winnable game - and then a very potent NCST offense.

Thus far in 2020, the Canes have won every game they are reasonably expected to. That alone is progress, I should point that out.

OK, always good to win. But like too many wins of the past, you see that overall, there are some bigger issues

Lashlee has to find another play on first down than the inside zone-read as the foundation to this offense(at least for this season). Bottom line, the interior of the Oline isn't good enough vs certain defenses. The problem is, the WR crew doesn't scare anyone. But I did notice Keyshawn and X get reps. Get the kids out there, go with the youth movement, give them more reps. What's being trotted out there currently, isn't nearly good enough

But going back to the overall offense, in my view, Lashlee has to use the short passing game on early downs, create drives early, and then as the defenses are worn out in the second half, rely more on the zone-read. But right now, that play is being snuffed out with regularity

King is a very effective college QB, but you see his limitations. Today, I thought he was very jittery in the pocket. Again, not so sure what's going on downfield and if anyone's open, but this is what I observed on TV. To me, he just needs to play free and loose and at times just run like **** and make plays with his legs.

Defense, some really good individual talent, but something looks/feels very unsound from a structural standpoint with this unit. Some of the X-and-O gurus have broken it down at length. And it matches the feelings that I was getting. At times Joey 'MC' Yellen was shredding us, and they had one really key drop in the beginning of the 4th quarter on 3rd and 10.

Wanted to point out, I saw Flagg and Brooks play more together, I like this combo infinitely more than McCloud and Jennings. That duo is simply a liability out there.

Also, Tecory Couch is becoming a very good slot CB, he's coming on as a player

So a win is a win, but yeah, there are some concerns...
Actually thought Lashlee mixed up playcalling, I thought it was pretty good. Had sweeps and screens and passes over middle. Keyshawn Smith had a big play that wasn't called for pass interference in the 2nd half... Would love to see more of him. Countered their blitzes w/ screens early on, which I wish he had done more of last wk. The inside zone read is really like his jab/feint, but you're right, they should mix it up more. Unlucky batted ball that was intercepted, and the 2nd pick was great play/scheme by defense. King did seem more willing to run this wk, not sure if that was jitters or because he got jacked up vs. Clemson or what. Had some tipped balls and dropped passes. John Campbell had a bad game. Mallory looks like a stud, but really needs to improve his blocking. Play in 4th quarter where Knighton had a ton of green in front and Mallory just missed his block, plus got blown up multiple times.

Also, Blissett looks quick af, and JHH is a problem. Repping well for NY. Must have some island in them, like Harvey. Flagg made me shut up, was definitely not feeling his play last wk because he kept trying to undercut lineman and would get taken out of the play. Really showed out this wk. Seems like very intelligent player. Frierson is an absolute stud, on a diff level mentally. Called out that fake punt before the play. Wish the defense had more Friersons. Carter and Hall are just... :confused: And Couch is the only CB I've seen jam his guy at the LOS, which is great to see, but really disappointing that it's not happening more often

Seemed like the only time the D gotten eaten up was when they played zone. This defense and zone do not go well together, maybe someone could tell me the reason why Baker/Diaz keep running it. Curious if anyone else saw that. Also **** poor tackling early on. Game mightve been diff w/ Pickett.

Again, this is a solid ACC team that should be right up there with ND and Clemson. It's crazy because last wk Lashlee didn't help the offense, but this wk the players left a lot of yards on the field

Curious who you got in the fight tonight?

Advertisement
Actually thought Lashlee mixed up playcalling, I thought it was pretty good. Had sweeps and screens and passes over middle. Keyshawn Smith had a big play that wasn't called for pass interference in the 2nd half... Would love to see more of him. Countered their blitzes w/ screens early on, which I wish he had done more of last wk. The inside zone read is really like his jab/feint, but you're right, they should mix it up more. Unlucky batted ball that was intercepted, and the 2nd pick was great play/scheme by defense. King did seem more willing to run this wk, not sure if that was jitters or because he got jacked up vs. Clemson or what. Had some tipped balls and dropped passes. John Campbell had a bad game. Mallory looks like a stud, but really needs to improve his blocking. Play in 4th quarter where Knighton had a ton of green in front and Mallory just missed his block, plus got blown up multiple times.

Also, Blissett looks quick af, and JHH is a problem. Repping well for NY. Must have some island in them, like Harvey. Flagg made me shut up, was definitely not feeling his play last wk because he kept trying to undercut lineman and would get taken out of the play. Really showed out this wk. Seems like very intelligent player. Frierson is an absolute stud, on a diff level mentally. Called out that fake punt before the play. Wish the defense had more Friersons. Carter and Hall are just... :confused: And Couch is the only CB I've seen jam his guy at the LOS, which is great to see, but really disappointing that it's not happening more often

Seemed like the only time the D gotten eaten up was when they played zone. This defense and zone do not go well together, maybe someone could tell me the reason why Baker/Diaz keep running it. Curious if anyone else saw that. Also **** poor tackling early on. Game mightve been diff w/ Pickett.

Again, this is a solid ACC team that should be right up there with ND and Clemson. It's crazy because last wk Lashlee didn't help the offense, but this wk the players left a lot of yards on the field

Curious who you got in the fight tonight?

Several people have mentioned that UM needs to implement the 'pattern-match zone' that many others are employing, it's something that the staff should look into in the off-season. Our zone defense gets eaten unless the pressure is really good upfront

as for the fight, I like Lopez late

Pitt is a team that was two points away from being undefeated- and we seriously should have beat that team by 21 points at least. I’ll definitely take this win!

I think King is over processing because he’s being asked to stay in the pocket (against his nature) AND his WRs have let him down. He used to throw 50/50 balls that would lead to big plays. So it looks like he’s struggling because his first nature (run when it breaks down) and his outlet (50/50 balls + no Brevin) are no longer there.

I understand why Rhett is coaching him the way he is - I just think it’s totally against his nature. He looks entirely too mechanical and uncomfortable in the pocket now.

OK, always good to win. But like too many wins of the past, you see that overall, there are some bigger issues

Lashlee has to find another play on first down than the inside zone-read as the foundation to this offense(at least for this season). Bottom line, the interior of the Oline isn't good enough vs certain defenses. The problem is, the WR crew doesn't scare anyone. But I did notice Keyshawn and X get reps. Get the kids out there, go with the youth movement, give them more reps. What's being trotted out there currently, isn't nearly good enough

But going back to the overall offense, in my view, Lashlee has to use the short passing game on early downs, create drives early, and then as the defenses are worn out in the second half, rely more on the zone-read. But right now, that play is being snuffed out with regularity

King is a very effective college QB, but you see his limitations. Today, I thought he was very jittery in the pocket. Again, not so sure what's going on downfield and if anyone's open, but this is what I observed on TV. To me, he just needs to play free and loose and at times just run like **** and make plays with his legs.

Defense, some really good individual talent, but something looks/feels very unsound from a structural standpoint with this unit. Some of the X-and-O gurus have broken it down at length. And it matches the feelings that I was getting. At times Joey 'MC' Yellen was shredding us, and they had one really key drop in the beginning of the 4th quarter on 3rd and 10.

Wanted to point out, I saw Flagg and Brooks play more together, I like this combo infinitely more than McCloud and Jennings. That duo is simply a liability out there.

Also, Tecory Couch is becoming a very good slot CB, he's coming on as a player

So a win is a win, but yeah, there are some concerns...
Again, we ran a ton of dime packages with Brooks as the only linebacker. Also ran 7 DBs on 3rd and greater than 10 quite a few times.

When Lashlee came here one of the regular posters did a great breakdown of his offense. By all indications the running game isn’t going to change away from the inside zone read.

Advertisement
We are your typical middle of the road ACC team. The measuring stick was last week and it showed we are nowhere near being a competitive team. This week confirmed it.
Middle of the road? Lol, okay. Clempson is by far above everyone else in the ACC. ND is a farce and again overrated. Slow on offense and defense. UNC is #2 right now and let's see what they do tonight. I'd place Canes ahead of ND at 3 so if that's middle of the road, I'll take it.

And Canes still have work to do as they're not even close to a finished product.

Advertisement
If I'm not mistaken, Miami has more 4 game losing streaks than just about any team in the P5. Diaz has had to prove something almost every game.

1. Beat a decent G5 (didn't go so well last year)
2. Win acc game on the road
3. No mercy to a bad fsu
4. Give Clemson a good game (fail)
5. Bounce back and make sure team didn't go in the tank.

So far 80%. That's a B-. Better than previous coaches besides Richt in 2017, but he was responsible for 3 separate 4 game losing streaks. We won't see another defense this good on the schedule. If King can play just a little better, we should still win 10 this season (would be all the more impressive with one less game).

This season to me is about the recruiting class. We need to win 10 and close out the class with Garcia (I think he flips) , T2, and a good CB prospect (not a project). Taylor is trying to get M. Smith to join him at DT (Longshot but we made his top 5!). With Taylor, Smith, and JHH, what a DL we would have.
I was originally optimistic to see 10 wins but I don’t now
We are going to get ***** slapped by NC imo
And I don’t see us winning at VT

we were lucky Pitt didn’t have qb
We were lucky their wr competed to be worse than us w multiple drops
We were lucky Pitt was more retarded than us w stupid *** penalties

this was NOT a good or even decent performance imo

We get a win but Pickett not playing was a break for UM. PITT left some points out there. Again, take the win but far from dominating

If both teams were hitting on all cylinders, we would still be 21 points better than Pittsburgh. We played an awful game on offense and still scored 31 points.

Advertisement
If both teams were hitting on all cylinders, we would still be 21 points better than Pittsburgh. We played an awful game on offense and still scored 31 points.

I will say this, in years past, those short field TD's Miami got, would've been FG attempts. As MotorCity stated, you still have to punch the ball in...

I was originally optimistic to see 10 wins but I don’t now
We are going to get ***** slapped by NC imo
And I don’t see us winning at VT

we were lucky Pitt didn’t have qb
We were lucky their wr competed to be worse than us w multiple drops
We were lucky Pitt was more retarded than us w stupid *** penalties

this was NOT a good or even decent performance imo

Now imagine if our WRs weren’t playing soft, our QB wasn’t missing throws, and Brevin wasn’t hurt.

Pitt was lucky too. It’s football. And yes - that was an ugly *** game. Agreed.

I will say this, in years past, those short field TD's Miami got, would've been FG attempts. As MotorCity stated, you still have to punch the ball in...

7E69549A-D4A3-421B-AF7B-8356A5B78273.jpeg

And our defense forced FGs instead of giving up TDs. There are a TON of positives despite how ugly it was.

Now imagine if our WRs weren’t playing soft, our QB wasn’t missing throws, and Brevin wasn’t hurt.

Pitt was lucky too. It’s football. And yes - that was an ugly *** game. Agreed.
Our WRs SUCK and are soft every week. Period.
True Bre in was out but Mallory did exactly what Brevin would have done
King has missed throws all year

maybe im Being to pessimistic??? I don’t know.

but I don’t have a lot of faith that we can run table when I see the o regressing and the d getting lucky drops

Advertisement
Back