A win is a win, but.... (some thoughts on the Pitt victory)

Couch was sticking to WRs like glue!

Pitt QB had a 47% completion percentage. Guys were acting like he completed 80% lol.

It’s football if a QB throws 45+ times guys are going to get some passes caught on them.

It’s more embarrassing that you pass 46 times and don’t get over 300 yards.
Let's give credit where it's due: Defense was really good today. Roche and Couch in particular had some great sequences.

The INTs kept em in it.

Advertisement
OK, always good to win. But like too many wins of the past, you see that overall, there are some bigger issues

Lashlee has to find another play on first down than the inside zone-read as the foundation to this offense(at least for this season). Bottom line, the interior of the Oline isn't good enough vs certain defenses. The problem is, the WR crew doesn't scare anyone. But I did notice Keyshawn and X get reps. Get the kids out there, go with the youth movement, give them more reps. What's being trotted out there currently, isn't nearly good enough

But going back to the overall offense, in my view, Lashlee has to use the short passing game on early downs, create drives early, and then as the defenses are worn out in the second half, rely more on the zone-read. But right now, that play is being snuffed out with regularity

King is a very effective college QB, but you see his limitations. Today, I thought he was very jittery in the pocket. Again, not so sure what's going on downfield and if anyone's open, but this is what I observed on TV. To me, he just needs to play free and loose and at times just run like **** and make plays with his legs.

Defense, some really good individual talent, but something looks/feels very unsound from a structural standpoint with this unit. Some of the X-and-O gurus have broken it down at length. And it matches the feelings that I was getting. At times Joey 'MC' Yellen was shredding us, and they had one really key drop in the beginning of the 4th quarter on 3rd and 10.

Wanted to point out, I saw Flagg and Brooks play more together, I like this combo infinitely more than McCloud and Jennings. That duo is simply a liability out there.

Also, Tecory Couch is becoming a very good slot CB, he's coming on as a player

So a win is a win, but yeah, there are some concerns...
King is a sitting duck. Why dont we roll out more often?! Even as TE1, Mallory was mostly forgotten throughout the game, even though the middle was open... The play calling and the O-line is frustrating.... 🤦🏾‍♀️

The good thing is that our OL can block base defensive fronts. We struggle when defenses load the box. I believe we can see that there are plays that work when that happens. We need to build on that.

Advertisement
OK, always good to win. But like too many wins of the past, you see that overall, there are some bigger issues

Lashlee has to find another play on first down than the inside zone-read as the foundation to this offense(at least for this season). Bottom line, the interior of the Oline isn't good enough vs certain defenses. The problem is, the WR crew doesn't scare anyone. But I did notice Keyshawn and X get reps. Get the kids out there, go with the youth movement, give them more reps. What's being trotted out there currently, isn't nearly good enough

But going back to the overall offense, in my view, Lashlee has to use the short passing game on early downs, create drives early, and then as the defenses are worn out in the second half, rely more on the zone-read. But right now, that play is being snuffed out with regularity

King is a very effective college QB, but you see his limitations. Today, I thought he was very jittery in the pocket. Again, not so sure what's going on downfield and if anyone's open, but this is what I observed on TV. To me, he just needs to play free and loose and at times just run like **** and make plays with his legs.

Defense, some really good individual talent, but something looks/feels very unsound from a structural standpoint with this unit. Some of the X-and-O gurus have broken it down at length. And it matches the feelings that I was getting. At times Joey 'MC' Yellen was shredding us, and they had one really key drop in the beginning of the 4th quarter on 3rd and 10.

Wanted to point out, I saw Flagg and Brooks play more together, I like this combo infinitely more than McCloud and Jennings. That duo is simply a liability out there.

Also, Tecory Couch is becoming a very good slot CB, he's coming on as a player

So a win is a win, but yeah, there are some concerns...

If I'm not mistaken, Miami has more 4 game losing streaks than just about any team in the P5. Diaz has had to prove something almost every game.

1. Beat a decent G5 (didn't go so well last year)
2. Win acc game on the road
3. No mercy to a bad fsu
4. Give Clemson a good game (fail)
5. Bounce back and make sure team didn't go in the tank.

So far 80%. That's a B-. Better than previous coaches besides Richt in 2017, but he was responsible for 3 separate 4 game losing streaks. We won't see another defense this good on the schedule. If King can play just a little better, we should still win 10 this season (would be all the more impressive with one less game).

This season to me is about the recruiting class. We need to win 10 and close out the class with Garcia (I think he flips) , T2, and a good CB prospect (not a project). Taylor is trying to get M. Smith to join him at DT (Longshot but we made his top 5!). With Taylor, Smith, and JHH, what a DL we would have.

Couch was sticking to WRs like glue!

Pitt QB had a 47% completion percentage. Guys were acting like he completed 80% lol.

It’s football if a QB throws 45+ times guys are going to get some passes caught on them.

It’s more embarrassing that you pass 46 times and don’t get over 300 yards.
Let's be fair. At one point at the beginning of the 4th quarter a graphic showed he was completing 67%. His last two drives killed him.

Advertisement
Key Smith needs to play more. Even start. He’s the only deep threat. It’s no coincidence Hartley was wide open for his TD the play after King just missed Smith on a deep ball. Both DBs mistakenly covered Smith running deep, again.

Carter is just awful at S. Out of position, bad tackler, and goes for kill shot too often.

The problem is Hall hasn’t been any better. **** give Balom some more reps at this point.

As an Auburn grad that has watched a ton of Malzahn and a good amount of Lashlee, you are going to drive yourself crazy if you're hoping to see less of the IZR. I'm telling you now you'd do better to put that energy someplace else.
With that said, we're 4-1 with a ton of stuff to work on.
#keepgrinding

We are your typical middle of the road ACC team. The measuring stick was last week and it showed we are nowhere near being a competitive team. This week confirmed it.

Advertisement
BTW its complete BS that UNC gets ND at home and we had to play Clemson on the road

Advertisement
I'm not going to complain about the schedule, that's such a Gators thing to do.

Anytime, anywhere.

It sucks because of lack of common opponent. Would have been useful in a tiebreaker. Fortunately we get UNC at home. Might help offset acc ref homecooking a bit. Unc will lose to ND, so they should have two losses after playing us

Advertisement
Back