A subtle message to everyone that bad mouths a kid.

You have to train a child up for this vicious world and not pacify them. I agree with you on the grown men attacking children. They fit into that pussification as well. I've grown to expect that and so should our children.
Absolutely you need to make your child more than aware of the ways of the world. Especially when it relates to having a persona and social media. That doesnt excuse the filth that does it on a daily though. Also you need to be aware of the rampant issues with society at large. Be it feelings of inadequacy or low self esteem,be it the degenerative nature of parenting in modern day society, etc... children in this day and age suffer from depression in huge numbers. Why do we as adults feel any sort of need to tear down the youths. They are the future. It's not just a song. In all ways and at all times we should help towards building that up... I went on a rant. My only point in it was it's very difficult to adequately prepare a child for that sort of thing. Even for the few parents left who would still actually care to.

Advertisement
I see your point of view and respect it. This weekend in my humble opinion we saw both sides of how to handle a recruitment. I am not just saying this cause mom’s is on this site. But Elijah Roberts handle his recruitment with class and dignity. He didn’t make a video trolling USCe who he just visited. He didn’t lie to peoples faces telling them he was interested when he just wanted a free vacation. He didn’t disrespect a coaching staff and fan base that all they did was show him love. I am sure Elijah Roberts is getting a lot less vitriol than Keshawn Lawrence right now. Whatever you put out in the atmosphere you get right back. That’s my two cents and you can keep the change!!!!!
This thread tho! 😔😐 Geesh!
1st let me say Thank you. We never want to hurt anyone's feelings during this process because the schools who were actively recruiting him were very nice. Plus, you have to be a robot to not have some sort of a relationship with coaches during this process. You're always in constant communication with them. When Elijah made his top 5 he made it based on who he was in contact with the most among other things but location was definitely a factor as well. We intentionally did not take visits to places he knew he wasn't considering. Such as Oregon..yes they were very nice and stayed in contact but why string them along knowing the location played a big part? This recruiting process is not easy and although I agree with SOME of the things that were posted here, I also would say that we "adults" still need to be cognizant of our comments because these are children who are making big decisions. That being said, we teach our kids that if you put it out there good or bad, be prepared for responses, praises and negativity so always be responsible and respectful. #my2cents

1st let me say Thank you. We never want to hurt anyone's feelings during this process because the schools who were actively recruiting him were very nice. Plus, you have to be a robot to not have some sort of a relationship with coaches during this process. You're always in constant communication with them. When Elijah made his top 5 he made it based on who he was in contact with the most among other things but location was definitely a factor as well. We intentionally did not take visits to places he knew he wasn't considering. Such as Oregon..yes they were very nice and stayed in contact but why string them along knowing the location played a big part? This recruiting process is not easy and although I agree with SOME of the things that were posted here, I also would say that we "adults" still need to be cognizant of our comments because these are children who are making big decisions. That being said, we teach our kids that if you put it out there good or bad, be prepared for responses, praises and negativity so always be responsible and respectful. #my2cents
I'd just like to say THANK YOU for being willing to share your family's experience in your recruiting process. You've given many of us great insight into the difficult process of deciding what's best for Elijah's future in the selection of the university he will attend. I can't speak from experience as I've not had the pleasure (or displeasure) of going through what your family just experienced. That being said, it's obvious that you, his father, and your son conducted yourselves with an incredible amount of character and dignity. There are many lessons that can be learned from the way you all conducted yourselves. Thanks for that as well.

I wish all the best for Elijah and look forward to seeing him wear the uniform of the U!

Advertisement
It’s impossible to control what people say from behind the anonymity of social media.

Nevertheless, so called “fans” don’t do anything to help the cause when they attack these kids on social media. Whether you think they deserve it or not, it makes no sense if you look at it strategically. Why burn a bridge? It’s just plain dumb.

And you can say kids are too sensitive for reacting to the harsh attacks, but I think their mistake is in even paying attention to it. But it’s a mistake being made by young and not fully mature kids, hopefully one they learn from.

But there is no excuse for grown *** men acting like butthurt ******* girls and throwing whiny temper tantrums against these kids on social media. That’s the much worse look. It’s pathetic.

Absolutely you need to make your child more than aware of the ways of the world. Especially when it relates to having a persona and social media. That doesnt excuse the filth that does it on a daily though. Also you need to be aware of the rampant issues with society at large. Be it feelings of inadequacy or low self esteem,be it the degenerative nature of parenting in modern day society, etc... children in this day and age suffer from depression in huge numbers. Why do we as adults feel any sort of need to tear down the youths. They are the future. It's not just a song. In all ways and at all times we should help towards building that up... I went on a rant. My only point in it was it's very difficult to adequately prepare a child for that sort of thing. Even for the few parents left who would still actually care to.

Agreed on all accounts and why I'm saying if you know (not you specifically) know all of this, don't troll and bring more criticism of you if you can't handle it, because it's going to come.

We love it when Shaq shows up to Friday Night Lights wearing UM gear, but at the same time you know some UF fan is going to say some trash about it.

I'm not saying not to have fun with the process if you have the mentality for it. I'm simply responding to the OP. Don't complain about social media if you're the root cause.

Lock the thread

I see your point of view and respect it. This weekend in my humble opinion we saw both sides of how to handle a recruitment. I am not just saying this cause mom’s is on this site. But Elijah Roberts handle his recruitment with class and dignity. He didn’t make a video trolling USCe who he just visited. He didn’t lie to peoples faces telling them he was interested when he just wanted a free vacation. He didn’t disrespect a coaching staff and fan base that all they did was show him love. I am sure Elijah Roberts is getting a lot less vitriol than Keshawn Lawrence right now. Whatever you put out in the atmosphere you get right back. That’s my two cents and you can keep the change!!!!!
Don............great analysis......in fact this is the bedrock on which a recruit can handle himself with confidence, and parents can be proud of how he handles his business........
It comes back, to treat others with respect, and they will do so in return. Dis and play games, but expect opposite results, has never worked, and never will, social media, or not.
We also need to remember that we are dealing with 17-18 year olds, (easily influenced by peer and parental pressure), and we know there are parents who sometimes project much more than they admit.
Totally agree with your post.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back