A note on Zion Nelson

View as article
Advertisement
There has been a lot of speculation and mystery surrounding Zion’s health. I am told he looks phenomenal doing football movements and is expected to be full-go in camp.

Jim Nagy (former NFL scout and current head of the Senior Bowl) and several scouting sources quoted by On3 identified four future NFL players on Miami’s line: Zion Nelson, Javion Cohen, Matt Lee and Jalen Rivers. That doesn’t include Anez Cooper, Francis Mauigoa, Samson Okunlola and Matthew McCoy (who someone on staff described to me as “an NFL dude”).

This could be one of the best OLs in the entire nation.

So this is the push-back from BJ's piece last week. Time will tell.

That potentially moves Jalen Rivers to RG and Anez Cooper as first off the bench. Many of you know I’ve raved about Cooper’s potential. That’s one **** of a 6th OL - someone who might be more impactful than a couple of the starters.

In combination with Mccoy, Samson, and ideally one other, what it really *might* do is protect us from falling off a cliff IF one or two injuries occur.
That's the most important thing that could happen to this team. While the injuries last year were an anomaly, some are certain to happen. The depth is needed to prevent the bottom to fall out.

Am I the only one who would rather have Cooper starting at RG rather than Rivers? Regardless, it’s a good problem to have.
That’s a toss-up. Agree in that Anez
is hard to keep off field. Monster.

Advertisement
I don’t mind Rivers and think he's a decent player here.

But what he has done to be called an NFL player is really mysterious.
Nfl isn’t all ways about production it’s about projection at times too. They see a kid with size that can play all 5 positions and has talent

Advertisement
The same thing was said previously regarding Zion ... " only some minor knee stuff to clean up". As for Lee, go back and watch the Spring game. Lee was getting "pushed around" sometimes even " manhandled".

I hope he can be an improvement, but I watched the film. Film don't lie.
Lee was injured. Mario pulled him early. Don't think he played more than two series IIRC.

The mopes are out and about on this thread too. Even cautious optimism (heavy emphasis on cautious) is too much for you guys.

The OL Unit should be better. A simplified offense should be better for TVD. If the OL unit isn’t better that’s a major 🚩

Cautious optimism isn't calling this oline group potentially one of the best in the nation. That my friend is drinking the Kool Aid

Last year, Cooper played multiple snaps at tackle and looked super nimble and incredibly light on his feet being 330+. Dancing Bear.

I don’t think Rivers will be the one challenging Zion, it will be McCoy. He’s the dark horse.

Uneven line with Cooper next to Cohen or Rivers n u can run it down most ACC teams throat. Having that elite speed with harrell on the outside, keeping safeties back also helps.

Advertisement
Yeah I don’t recall Lee being pushed around. I do remember Rodriguez being pushed around and into the pocket, but not Lee.
Did Lee even play in that game? We had a very make shift OL for the spring game.

People have different memories of the Spring Game… I have trouble putting any stock in at this point.

September 1 can’t get here fast enough. (Hopefully)

Pretty sure Bain and Kelly both beat him and as much trash that gets talked about Moss I'm sure he beat him as well. So would hate to see what A&M would do to him at Lt.
I think you’re right. Watching that was so discouraging and gave me a really bad feeling about the season. If Zion is actually healthy and can play? Love it. I’ll take the 🌞⛽

Advertisement
on Zion - I’ll believe it when I see it. It’s been quite a while that we fielded a decent OL. In my opinion it’s been our major weakness since the Shannon years. Point being is the OL needs to earn their respect going forward.

Because the WR still can’t shake free.

The DB’s are still a huge question mark.

There is no depth at DT.

Those are all huge questions that need to be answered. And we won’t know the answers until ACC play starts.

The schemes on offense and defense may help the WR/DB’s, but you can’t mask physicality on the LOS from the DT’s.
No gerth at dt? we have depth(bodies) whether there good or jags wasn't made clear in your post!

Zion, Cohen, Lee, Rivers, Mauigoa
Changing Season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Advertisement
Back