A note on Zion Nelson

View as article
The only question mark left on offense is WR. If the transfers can step up, then I think this could be a unit that averages almost 35 points a game. And if that’s the case, we shouldn’t lose more than 4 games, even if the defense isn’t solid (they should be).

8-4 needs to be the floor. Ideally, we need to go 9-3 or better to establish some momentum and land another top class. This year is pivotal for Mario: if he doesn’t accomplish the above, he’s a dead man walking.
100% my biggest concern, if we can get 2 guys to really emerge i feel great about this season. I honestly dont have much faith in anyone, harrell has produced before but he has been hurt 3 out 4 years so its tuff to rely on him.

I want jacolby to be the guy but i havent seen anything to suggest he can, colbie is a solid wr i dont see #1 talent same with X. Brashard can be good if used right i liked his route running improvements last year even tho it didn’t really amount to nothing lol he can change things. I think ray ray and robby can be playmakers but i dont like to put expectations on freshman

Advertisement
Advertisement
Choo Choo Train GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

The wide receivers are the biggest concern, we know what the oline and tvd can be. Idk why everyone is just assuming that room is a guarantee, everyone thinks its all on tvd or dawson
I hear you. I'm not downplaying the WR concerns, but that unit becomes moot if Dawson sucks, or TVD goes down with injury, and o line doesn't gel. I like Colbie & Restrepo, expect both to be solid, but 1 or 2 other guys gotta step up and be consistent. If Harrell can stay on the field he can change the whole dynamic of the offense.

Advertisement
I've been expecting this ever since we didn't recruit OTs in the transfer portal. This one change is the difference between a good and a great offense. No excuses.

OL: Top in ACC
RB: Top quartile in ACC
QB: Top quartile in ACC
TE: Top quartile in ACC
WR: Unknown but it better be good enough to at least do what we did in the second half of 2021.

We should be putting up 450 YPG and 35 PPG (basically Top 20). For reference, 6 teams put up 500+ YPGs and 6 put up 40+ PPG last year.

There has been a lot of speculation and mystery surrounding Zion’s health. I am told he looks phenomenal doing football movements and is expected to be full-go in camp.

Jim Nagy (former NFL scout and current head of the Senior Bowl) and several scouting sources quoted by On3 identified four future NFL players on Miami’s line: Zion Nelson, Javion Cohen, Matt Lee and Jalen Rivers. That doesn’t include Anez Cooper, Francis Mauigoa, Samson Okunlola and Matthew McCoy (who someone on staff described to me as “an NFL dude”).

This could be one of the best OLs in the entire nation.

WOW .... what a turnaround for Zion. Hope that knee holds out, gets stronger, and he not only lights it up in 2023 but makes the 1st round. Great news.

This is why I don’t get the 7-5 predictions

Yeah, I was 7-5 pre spring transfers. But once we added the next set of guys we did, I swung to feeling 8-9 wins was the most likely outcome. We could still go 7-5 with injuries, especially if TVD gets hurt. But we could also win 10 if the chips fall our way. I think 8.5 is the right target, personally.

Advertisement
The only question mark left on offense is WR. If the transfers can step up, then I think this could be a unit that averages almost 35 points a game. And if that’s the case, we shouldn’t lose more than 4 games, even if the defense isn’t solid (they should be).

8-4 needs to be the floor. Ideally, we need to go 9-3 or better to establish some momentum and land another top class. This year is pivotal for Mario: if he doesn’t accomplish the above, he’s a dead man walking.
The primary question mark, in my opinion, on offense is whether we setup plays for the QB who already showed he can make certain plays, but struggles with some other types. Whether or not he’s developed some other aspects - like reading defenses or hitting more timing-based routes - is less important than whether we can just open up the field and simplify certain concepts for him to execute. Last year’s intermittent stubbornness - where TVD sometimes looked like he forgot how to play football - was beyond comprehension.

The same thing was said previously regarding Zion ... " only some minor knee stuff to clean up". As for Lee, go back and watch the Spring game. Lee was getting "pushed around" sometimes even " manhandled".

I hope he can be an improvement, but I watched the film. Film don't lie.
Stop it....Lee is a Top 3 center in CFB. Coaches are raving about him.

Advertisement

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

This is why I don’t get the 7-5 predictions

Because the WR still can’t shake free.

The DB’s are still a huge question mark.

There is no depth at DT.

Those are all huge questions that need to be answered. And we won’t know the answers until ACC play starts.

The schemes on offense and defense may help the WR/DB’s, but you can’t mask physicality on the LOS from the DT’s.

Advertisement
Back