A note on Zion Nelson

View as article
Advertisement
You’d be hard pressed to find a better o line than that.

Two potential first rounders holding down the left side. An all conference center. A experienced and potential top 3 round pick at RG and then a 5 star RT
Cooper not starting would be a surprise but I get it you have to keep Rivers out there somehow. I do wonder if Rivers just ends up at RT and Mauigoa is first off the bench at LT or RT.

Not so fast a barátom...

Good QBs (and RBs) end up in hospital with bad OL...
Good QBs do ok, but don't realize their full potential, with average OL...
Good QBs win championships with good OL...

Bad OL makes everyone on O look bad and makes D's job harder...
Average OL makes everyone on O look ok and makes D's job a little easier...
Good OL gets other people on O drafted and makes D's job much easier...

I would offer Miami's OL will have a bigger impact to season than TVD.

Fyzical bro. Dominate up front bro.
Depends on the scheme too…

Lashlee had a similar Oline and still had a very good offense

Gat-*** with similar pieces had one of the worst offensive seasons I’ve ever seen by a team I follow..

QB play helps Oline in that if the offense is quick and helps hide Oline woes

Not so fast a barátom...

Good QBs (and RBs) end up in hospital with bad OL...
Good QBs do ok, but don't realize their full potential, with average OL...
Good QBs win championships with good OL...

Bad OL makes everyone on O look bad and makes D's job harder...
Average OL makes everyone on O look ok and makes D's job a little easier...
Good OL gets other people on O drafted and makes D's job much easier...

I would offer Miami's OL will have a bigger impact to season than TVD.

Fyzical bro. Dominate up front bro.
You make solid points but I still think TVD is the X-factor. His play will dictate how our season goes.

Advertisement
Cooper not starting would be a surprise but I get it you have to keep Rivers out there somehow. I do wonder if Rivers just ends up at RT and Mauigoa is first off the bench at LT or RT.
My exact thoughts and just have mauigoa be the swing lineman **** even against a lower level school throw him a pass to keep him happy. A healthy line of Zion, cohen, lee, cooper, rivers is a lot of experience and proven guys

Just a day ago, you ask about Zion and only thing you would get is not sure if he will be able to play football, he has nerve issues, he has soft tissue issues, He cant walk right, he crawls to get around, etc. Now he is having a great summer and should be full go.. :ibis-roflmao-sm3:

Incredible..

Either way this is GREAT news and another thing that makes me bullish on the offense, if we have one of better olines, what I am told is an NFL QB, weapons at TE, Deep RB room, I would assume a couple WR will step up in this scheme but Restrepo and Young have great chemistry with our "NFL QB".. This offense should light up scoreboards in this scheme..
We heard similar messaging about Harrell when we were searching the portal for WR. Then one day he was good to go. Hopefully both of these guys are a 100% as they can have a huge impact on our season….

Donald Trump GIF

Advertisement
I’m not really worried about who starts if those 8 guys are all healthy. Aside from providing depth the most important thing is there’s going to be tough competition for every spot with the exception of Center which should increase the level of play. Throw in Tripp and Bruno (both probably RS but they will push) and we have a full two deep before we have to turn to Sagapulo, Denis, Seymour, Rodriguez, McClaughlin or Washington

There has been a lot of speculation and mystery surrounding Zion’s health. I am told he looks phenomenal doing football movements and is expected to be full-go in camp.

Jim Nagy (former NFL scout and current head of the Senior Bowl) and several scouting sources quoted by On3 identified four future NFL players on Miami’s line: Zion Nelson, Javion Cohen, Matt Lee and Jalen Rivers. That doesn’t include Anez Cooper, Francis Mauigoa, Samson Okunlola and Matthew McCoy (who someone on staff described to me as “an NFL dude”).

This could be one of the best OLs in the entire nation.

And yet those who dont have a hair on their testes are anticipating a 7-win season. (That's the word going around - per NYSOM)

And that's just the improvement in our very key OLine! We're better everywhere - and still not finished.

14-1.

Last edited:
Samson takes the LT starting job by EOY. This will be a very good OL, I think all 5 will get drafted although most late rounds. Also, a ton to like about Cooper but let’s see some consistency first. I’ve seen way too many 1st year players get crowned prematurely here.

Advertisement
DT is going to be a problem for years... Can't believe all we signed was Horton last year...Deen will help too but we should have signed multiple top 250 players at DT last year.
Last I heard Collins is over 275 now,so he very likely will be at DT and over 300 by this time next season.We quietly signed a very good DL class last year with Bain and Wayne at DE and Collins and Horton at DT,all 4*.All the talk about us signing an all time DL class for the 24 class and right now it most likely won't come close to be as good as last years.

Advertisement
I'm rooting for Zion. Dude is a humble, hardworking kid who was setup for failure by previous staff's and never once complained.

Plus if he surpasses expectations we can say Mario/Mirabal developed a former 2 star into a 1st round draft pick....

queen middle finger GIF by VH1s Daytime Divas
No not really. 1st round buzz started under Manny. You could say that Manny last second flipped a App st commit with the body of an 8th grader and turned him into a first rounder that nobody wanted. Fans calling for him to get off the field with as a freshman with Manny jumping to his defense saying "there's no one else to put at LT. We believe he's going to be a great one."

Really a story of a coach seeing the potential able to uplift through failure because he knew the kid would be great.

Samson takes the LT starting job by EOY. This will be a very good OL, I think all 5 will get drafted although most late rounds. Also, a ton to like about Cooper but let’s see some consistency first. I’ve seen way too many 1st year players get crowned prematurely here.
If Samson is the starting LT, then, for the purposes of this thread, that means he has supplanted Zion in the line-up. So do you expect that Zion by the end of the year will be:
1. Injured
2. At another position
3. Healthy but on the bench

No not really. 1st round buzz started under Manny. You could say that Manny last second flipped a App st commit with the body of an 8th grader and turned him into a first rounder that nobody wanted. Fans calling for him to get off the field with as a freshman with Manny jumping to his defense saying "there's no one else to put at LT. We believe he's going to be a great one."

Really a story of a coach seeing the potential able to uplift through failure because he knew the kid would be great.
It was tongue and cheek about giving Marion credit. In any event, Manny had nothing to do with his flip as Zion flipped then signed on 12/19/2018 as part of Richt's last class before he abruptly retired on 12/30/18. Giving Manny credit for anything related to Zion is a huge stretch.

You are correct from a factual history standpoint, but we know the narrative out of Coral Gables will, and should be, that Mirabal ”turned him“ from a 2 star to an early round draft pick. People will forget the actual history because this version will overtake it. Which to me is @TRick72’s point.

Advertisement
Back