A note on Zion Nelson

View as article
I hope I’m dead wrong but I’m not believing the hype. Just a guess but I wouldn’t be surprised he ends up in portal.

I thought so too, but Okunlola not securing the LT role in the spring left the door open for Nelson to start again at Miami.

He’s taking a risk that he’s beat out, but Okunlola still needs a good bit of work in the physicality of the game. That only comes with getting game and practice experience against high level athletes.

Advertisement
I thought so too, but Okunlola not securing the LT role in the spring left the door open for Nelson to start again at Miami.

He’s taking a risk that he’s beat out, but Okunlola still needs a good bit of work in the physicality of the game. That only comes with getting game and practice experience against high level athletes.
Reports stated that Okunlola lacked necessary strength to be our starting LT, which is normal and expected with OL coming out of HS.

Okunlola is probably be a year away from competing to be the starting LT. Goals for him this year should be adding functional strength and remaining flexible. Hopefully he's able to play in a couple of blowouts to get some game reps.

DT is going to be a problem for years... Can't believe all we signed was Horton last year...Deen will help too but we should have signed multiple top 250 players at DT last year.
Not necessarily, with the portal it's easier to fill needs now. We'll be able to pull capable DTs from the portal to bridge us from year to year until we get our recruiting right at the position.

Depth is a concern but finding quality players in the portal shouldn't be an issue as long as the capital investment firms known as LifeWallet and CanesConnection keep the inflows going.

Advertisement
I disagree. TVD is our X-factor and the most important player on this year's team. He plays like a top 15ish qb we'll win 8+ games. He plays like a top 10qb we'll win 10+ games.

We need TVD to perform inorder for us to have success this season.
OL is most important player on team.

Let's hope TVD can just complete 10yd passes without ******** up the throws like last year.

Not necessarily, with the portal it's easier to fill needs now. We'll be able to pull capable DTs from the portal to bridge us from year to year until we get our recruiting right at the position.

Depth is a concern but finding quality players in the portal shouldn't be an issue as long as the capital investment firms known as LifeWallet and CanesConnection keep the inflows going.

We SHOULD be able to pull DTs from the portal…

We grabbed Gore and Deen.

Because the WR still can’t shake free.

The DB’s are still a huge question mark.

There is no depth at DT.

Those are all huge questions that need to be answered. And we won’t know the answers until ACC play starts.

The schemes on offense and defense may help the WR/DB’s, but you can’t mask physicality on the LOS from the DT’s
Counter argument would be Colbie Young showed some ability to seperate last year, but he is a "catch point" guy. He can maneuver his body with his long frame to make contested catches.

Once he got onto the field he and TVD were building chemistry until TVD's injury, and we couldn't throw the ball anymore with Brown.

3-43-1 TD
9-101-1 TD
6-127-2 TD-TVD injury
5-46 -Garcia

Last 4 games primarily with Brown he had 9 catches for 50 yards and 1 TD.

You don't think Restrepo can separate? I would argue he and Ray Ray have a unique ability to get open.

Then we added Harrell who averaged 29 YPC last year he was healthy. I think he can get seperation.

I'm actually quite high on our WRs. I like them as a room better than most in the ACC. FSU has best room, UNC is up there, Cuse has a strong room, but I think Miami's is top 6 minimum maybe higher in ACC.

As far as DT, I saw Moten giving Lee some issues in spring game. He was proving interior push. You would like to see him take a next step. That would make me feel
Much better at DT.

JHH is a wild card. He has shown flashes, but battled injuries. I think if he is healthy and Moten takes a step, DT will be solid. Ifs and buts for sure ha

Advertisement
Counter argument would be Colbie Young showed some ability to seperate last year, but he is a "catch point" guy. He can maneuver his body with his long frame to make contested catches.

Once he got onto the field he and TVD were building chemistry until TVD's injury, and we couldn't throw the ball anymore with Brown.

3-43-1 TD
9-101-1 TD
6-127-2 TD-TVD injury
5-46 -Garcia

Last 4 games primarily with Brown he had 9 catches for 50 yards and 1 TD.

You don't think Restrepo can separate? I would argue he and Ray Ray have a unique ability to get open.

Then we added Harrell who averaged 29 YPC last year he was healthy. I think he can get seperation.

I'm actually quite high on our WRs. I like them as a room better than most in the ACC. FSU has best room, UNC is up there, Cuse has a strong room, but I think Miami's is top 6 minimum maybe higher in ACC.

As far as DT, I saw Moten giving Lee some issues in spring game. He was proving interior push. You would like to see him take a next step. That would make me feel
Much better at DT.

JHH is a wild card. He has shown flashes, but battled injuries. I think if he is healthy and Moten takes a step, DT will be solid. Ifs and buts for sure ha
TVD has to prove he has regained accuracy.

As @Lance Roffers mentioned in another thread, it's the margins that wins the games Miami has lost with disappointing consistency.

IF OL has improved the margin, that should enable QB, RB, and D to improve their margins. Tremendous knock-on effect.

To me, Miami (OH) game is a much bigger test that some are giving credit to. Followed by AtM and UNC. I believe those are the three most important games to set tone for back half of schedule.

TVD has to prove he has regained accuracy.

As @Lance Roffers mentioned in another thread, it's the margins that wins the games Miami has lost with disappointing consistency.

IF OL has improved the margin, that should enable QB, RB, and D to improve their margins. Tremendous knock-on effect.

To me, Miami (OH) game is a much bigger test that some are giving credit to. Followed by AtM and UNC. I believe those are the three most important games to set tone for back half of schedule.

I agree on Miami (OH) and think there is a lot to learn from that game. There were huge signs in the So Miss that we glossed over that showed up the rest of the year.

Hopefully he stays healthy and shows Okunlola how its done. By all accounts, Zion is a hard worker who's had bad luck with injuries as of late.

Pitcher? Nah, it's a full blown keg!! Get yourself a stein!!
beer cheers GIF by Paulaner

Advertisement
Yall are smoking if u think cooper is better than Rivers lol its not even close
At this point, contingent on rivers being in shape and fully healthy then Rivers is the better player. Cooper is a fantastic 6th lineman to have though

Cautious optimism isn't calling this oline group potentially one of the best in the nation. That my friend is drinking the Kool Aid
On paper, they objectively are and that’s according to people outside the program.

You can be high on the offensive line and still be skeptic about the offense as a whole. I need to see the receiver room and TVD find his groove before I drink the kool aid on the offense as a whole, but the majority of teams, maybe besides 5-7 would trade for our o line room right now for this upcoming season

Advertisement
1688997781883.png

"I want that purple stuff" - Dave Chapelle

Too much negative about kool-aid on here. It's delicious.

I'm trying to go into the season believing 11-1 is the floor. If I get let down aint nothing changed for **** near 20 years. I'm built for the let down at this point

OL is most important player on team.

Let's hope TVD can just complete 10yd passes without ******** up the throws like last year.
Good QBs make bad OL look average.
Good QBs make average OL look good
Good QBs make good OL look great.

QB is the most important position on the field. We'll go as far as TVD takes us. No other to spin it.

Last edited:
Good QBs make bad OL look average.
Good QBs make average OL look good
Good QBs make good OL look great.

QB is the more important position on the field. We'll go as far as TVD takes us. No other to spin it.
Not so fast a barátom...

Good QBs (and RBs) end up in hospital with bad OL...
Good QBs do ok, but don't realize their full potential, with average OL...
Good QBs win championships with good OL...

Bad OL makes everyone on O look bad and makes D's job harder...
Average OL makes everyone on O look ok and makes D's job a little easier...
Good OL gets other people on O drafted and makes D's job much easier...

I would offer Miami's OL will have a bigger impact to season than TVD.

Fyzical bro. Dominate up front bro.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back