A note on Landon Ibieta

Advertisement
The same ppl that want us to compete versus the Bamas and Clemsons of the world, are the same ppl that think this is a great pick up. It's counterintuitive.

Also it's like we never learn. Here we are saying look at what a monster this kid is at 7 on 7 as if Pope never happened.

Maybe this kid will blow up this year but as of right now there are better targets on the board.

If Bama, Clemson, OSU, UGA, would take him he would be a fringe scholly/PWO.

I was sold when someone on the LSU board said he was a **** good basketball player too. 5'11 190, legit 4.55 speed, 37' vert, AND can play basketball at a pretty good level???? And hasnt even hit a real S&C program? Yeah im sold too. LSU cant take everyone I guess because shocked they are letting this kid out of the state. But that doesnt mean anyone else from SEC country wont come calling. Will be interested if we can hold on to him.

I know ya’ll don’t mean to do it, but does every white WR we recruit have to be Berrios/Restrepo? Got **** lol.
Come on, it's America in 2021, everything has to be about race.

giphy (8).gif

The same ppl that want us to compete versus the Bamas and Clemsons of the world, are the same ppl that think this is a great pick up. It's counterintuitive.

Also it's like we never learn. Here we are saying look at what a monster this kid is at 7 on 7 as if Pope never happened.

Maybe this kid will blow up this year but as of right now there are better targets on the board.

Meh maybe. None of the prospects on our WR board are better than the top guys coming out next year. (Innis, Fleming, Williams, Brown) So its a wash really. Take a great athlete, who can catch and who loves to compete and I am good at this position. His numbers dont lie. This kid isnt just a camp warrior. He has proven in on the field. At first I wasnt sold but he has grown on me the more I read up on him.. I see why they took him.

Advertisement
Watched some tape on the kid. Will 100% see a bump in his ratings once summer camps have gone through.

Some have said it already, he does not look like a freak athlete, but he has a very natural feel for the game, he catches the ball really well, he sets his routes up nicely, he has good concentration with contested catches, he shows late hands... all the things you want in a receiver.

This program has made some negative experiences with 7v7 studs but this guy has some really nice tape with full pads on.

was me that said that…in a t-shirt the kid looks like just a normal kid, not an athlete. But after he committed I also watched his tape and god ****… I guess looks can be deceiving.

He’s every bit a 4.5 on his football tape, which is elite fast for a kid in high school. Great short sre burst or “get off”, and the kid just “glides”…in other words I was very impressed. Looks can be deceiving indeed.

i have no clue about the level of competition this kid is seeing in Louisiana but he was dusting everyone else on the field. Definite TAKE imo and I admit I was wrong to judge the kid before watching his film.

You keep posting criticizing the pickup but I’m not seeing any breakdown of why. So you think he’s not athletic enough, too slow, runs poor routes, doesn’t catch well enough, too soft, what? Just that there are betters options available. Why do you feel those are all better options? I know any player that balls in 7 on 7 is going to be compared to Mark Pope for some reason but there are plenty of players who excel at 7 on 7 and actual football. Sorry to bust that bubble for you.

I just think it’s weird to continue ****ting on a kid and not providing any real context as to why. I guess we will see who’s right. All of the people that like the pickup and have stated why or Joe Cane who apparently hates it for some underlying reason.

Say what you want but I bet if he had that magical 4th star, you wouldn’t be vomiting all over every thread about it.

Only outside one I can think of that was a white guy is the one who played for the Denver Broncos. Mcafferty I think.
Eric Decker was a very good outside WR in his prime.

Drew Bennett, Chad Hansen, that tall dude on the Falcons in the early 2000s, Riley Cooper racist **** trash, the lanky Georgia receiver who was on the Lions, Scotty Miller. Probably more I can't remember.

Advertisement

Bama and Clemson probably aren't offering for the same reason I didn't think this kid was a take before watching his film - he doesn't LOOK like an elite athlete in shorts and a t-shirt.

My mind was changed when I watched his film. Check it out yourself before you decide.

I understand your POV but in a down year for WR's in Florida who are the higher targets we're pursuing who have strong reciprocal interest in us ?

Eric Decker was a very good outside WR in his prime.

Drew Bennett, Chad Hansen, that tall dude on the Falcons in the early 2000s, Riley Cooper racist **** trash, the lanky Georgia receiver who was on the Lions, Scotty Miller. Probably more I can't remember.
Jordy Nelson played outside a lot. They moved him around. Vikings do the same with Thielen.

Advertisement

Not sure when you became a stereotype, but lol.

You now think it’s proof of something that people you disagree with elsewhere, disagree with you here, too?

You have no logical arguments here, and your pope analogy is ridiculous. If you bothered to learn about this kid you’d know that he’s not Pope. His strengths are different. Maybe his weaknesses, too. Pope ran a 10.5 100M and was cat quick twitchy. He also is frail, doesn’t like contact, didn’t use his hand or body well, and wasn’t known as a downfield blocker. You seem to think that all kids who play 7-7 are somehow alike because … potato.

Whether this kid is a good eval is a legit question. But athletically, a 4.5 flat 40 and 37” vertical (as a HS junior) puts him right there with top level prospects. Unless you have reason to disagree, he also plays the position well relative to most prospects - body use, hands, blocking). Maybe he’s not short area quick enough to create separation - but his short shuttle is cery
good.

What exactly is it you’re down on with him?

Bama isn’t starting Slade Bolden? Clemson didn’t win a title with Hunter Renfrow?

We need more no-doubt, elite WR prospects. But this kid is also a good addition. Both can be true.

Advertisement
Bama isn’t starting Slade Bolden? Clemson didn’t win a title with Hunter Renfrow?

We need more no-doubt, elite WR prospects. But this kid is also a good addition. Both can be true.
This kids measurables are every bit as good as Michael Irvin’s and he’s a junior in HS. Better than Jerry Rice’s, too. He’s already faster than Lamar Thomas and with a couple years of S&C could match Reggie Wayne. He’s not far off of Jerry Jeudy, either.

We need better WR EVALUATIONS not better measurables. The mindset underneath this exchange is the root of the problem with our WR recruiting for 20 years. A kid with a 4.5 flat 40, 37” vertical and 4.0 short shuttle isn’t ‘enough’ physically so he’s just a blue collar recruit?

Most of our really good WRs historically weren’t top 5 HS prospect elite types. The mindset that we need another Andre or Santana Moss is what’s messing up our WR recruiting. Find guys who can catch, take hits, use their bodies, block and run routes. And hopefully create some separation, take decent angles and run smoothly.

Bama and Clemson probably aren't offering for the same reason I didn't think this kid was a take before watching his film - he doesn't LOOK like an elite athlete in shorts and a t-shirt.

My mind was changed when I watched his film. Check it out yourself before you decide.

I saw his film, I think we can do better.

Advertisement
Back