A myth that needs to die

And likely a west coast kid.

These kids will tone out Mario and his antics if you aint winning....thats what happened at FIU
I'm cool with the attempt to change culture, of course.

But, I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's perhaps my biggest fear and something I consider overlooked in Florida recruiting (generally, including FSU, UF, etc.): many of the kids' attitudes are different, if not frail. I'll get told now "look at how many South Florida kids go to the NFL." A lot of those kids are targeted and filtered through real programs and families. This is especially true in Dade county. The support around kids is hit or miss. [I have the data to prove this one via MDCPS programs my companies have run]

Maybe we, too, can be a real program, evaluate kids correctly, and find the right mentalities. That will depend on factors beyond Mario, IMO. Nevertheless, whoever is the next coach and aims to finally destroy the country club culture will have to evaluate the **** out of more than just SPARQ results and even football tape. We need kids who've been developed with the right mindset or are at least open to the challenge. They aren't as abundant as physically talented kids down here.

Advertisement

These kids will tone out Mario and his antics if you aint winning....thats what happened at FIU

He'll weed out the guys that won't want to get on board and there will be many who were used to the ***** Miaz country club approach. That's fine and that first year may be a bit of a struggle because of this and high turnover but I'm sure he's come a long way from FIU and has a program that a lot of our kids will want to get on board with.

“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
My big question regarding Mario is not his coaching ability or recruiting skills. It's about money and will all of the people that want him here, not talking about the board, but the "big money" boosters and his friends that advocate his hiring. Will these people help complete the work Richt started with a great IPF, new practice field and the Hecht upgrade, go the final steps. Not just a well paid assistant staff, but better locker rooms, great media facilities, and yes, the long discussed football stadium in the 55,000 set range to give UM a great recruiting tool and home field advantage. Also, pay for the private jets to make recruiting fore effective. One comment on Mario's recruiting ability, during his run at Alabama 2013-2017 the recruiting classes he had a major hand in were ranked #1, #1, #1, #2, and #1 respectively.

I think there was a lot more working against him at FIU than his “ antics”. Kids changing in broom closets and having high school facilities with no money was a tad bigger issue. I used to mock him for his time at FIU until I actually saw what he was dealing with. From the AD on down. That was an absolute **** hole.
That’s a better argument. Context is everything. Many of those losses were at FIU and if anyone holds those losses against him then I don’t know what to tell you.

Advertisement
Just wait if Mario loses another game (which we need) the Miami fan base will come out in full force.

If he wins out, Oregon makes the playoff he will not leave and the Miami fan base will bash him for not coming home.
**** em. They fail to realize no one of Mario’s caliber is remotely interested in Miami. This is a HC in his prime. Not like CMR who was ready to retire. Plus, many are buying fools gold with Lane who is the sexier hire but can’t see below the surface.

Purdue isn’t in the stratosphere of Oregon.
Thats not the point. You're touting top 10 wins and talking about the PAC-12 being terrible doesn't matter. Mario has 4 top ten wins in his career. Jeff Brohm has 2 two this year alone and he beat a Top 5 Ohio State team a couple of years ago too. Are you clamoring for Jeff Brohm who has none of the advantages that Mario has? If Purdue got to play Mario's schedule and not Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa they could be 9-1 too.

Thats not the point. You're touting top 10 wins and talking about the PAC-12 being terrible doesn't matter. Mario has 4 top ten wins in his career. Jeff Brohm has 2 two this year alone and he beat a Top 5 Ohio State team a couple of years ago too. Are you clamoring for Jeff Brohm who has none of the advantages that Mario has? If Purdue got to play Mario's schedule and not Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa this they could be 9-1 too.
You’re smoking crack if you think Purdue would be 9-1 with Oregon’s schedule.

Thats not the point. You're touting top 10 wins and talking about the PAC-12 being terrible doesn't matter. Mario has 4 top ten wins in his career. Jeff Brohm has 2 two this year alone and he beat a Top 5 Ohio State team a couple of years ago too. Are you clamoring for Jeff Brohm who has none of the advantages that Mario has? If Purdue got to play Mario's schedule and not Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa this they could be 9-1 too.
I would be happy with Brohm.

Lane, Aranda, Huepel, Brohm might even be my top 4.

Advertisement
IF he is willing to leave Eugene, you have to take him. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. He's the only candidate who wouldn't bolt after winning big. He's a lifer. And would come for the right reasons. Loyal version of Butch Davis.
Great way of describing him. Had Butch stayed at Miami he would have won multiple national championships and would be a Top Ten CFB coach of all time.

Because of the mistake of going to the Browns, now he’s just a fired coach from UNC and FIU. He’s one of the best talent evaluators that’s ever coached, but that’s not his legacy.

Advertisement
Come Here Lets Go GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Bring him HOME!!!!!!! Let him build the foundation and then the mansion. Let him build his empire here.
Right on

You’re smoking crack if you think Purdue would be 9-1 with Oregon’s schedule.
Sure
Lets go through it
8-3 Fresno State at home. Good team. You'd have all summer to prepare for
Ohio State
Stony Brook at home
1 win Arizona at home
3 win Cal at home
6-4 UCLA on the road
3-7 Colorado at home
4-5 Washington on the road
5-5 Washington State with an interim coach at home

This is the schedule a Purdue team who beat Iowa on the road and Michigan State at home would be in fear of? You're insane.

Find the losses. **** find the games they wouldn't be favored in.

Advertisement
Go look at who Mario had as his OC/DCs in 2010 and 2011. At FIU no less.

The concept of hiring strong coordinators is not lost on Mario. and he will have a better pool to choose from with us

Advertisement
Back