A&M game discussion

Not going to try to make any predictions but I don't expect either team to look the same this year.

This game will probably set the bar for how this team and season play out or at least give us a very good idea of it.
Yeah. Dawson and Petrino alone make both teams TOTALLY different and can't use last year as a measuring stick AT ALL.

Both offenses will be markedly better.

Give me Dawson in Dawson vs Durkin.

Petrino vs Guidry will truly be a test for Guidry. Let us know how good our defense will/can be if we hold them 24under.

Advertisement
If anybody cares I got Miami by 10. I liked A&M more last year against us. I think we can expose a few things this time around
I mentioned I thought their secondary last year was underrated. Can you inform us a bit about what they're doing to replace those guys? I see they picked up Tony Grimes (former UNC CB), who can be had, especially in a big game where he'll likely be overaggressive.

I also see the kid (Anderson) who replaced that star Safety (Johnson) supposedly showed up in Spring. He's a key and hopefully Arroyo or Skinner or someone can win a matchup on the hash with him. Otherwise, we're going to need someone like Ray Ray or Brashard to give us a nice stretch from the slot. I don't think that's Restrepo's game.

Overall, I think their back 7 is weaker than last season's matchup and that's where we'd have to hit. I suspect their DL will be stronger this season.

No disrespect to you my guy but how can you possibly comment on A&Ms culture?
- It’s more about seeing how A&Ms players once they transferred (see Harris & Bouie) along with the suspensions even last year when they played us. Fisher knows who he’s recruiting and he’s recruiting talent over Integrity/intelligence. Same at FSU.

- Jimbos Track record is not known at all to have a programs of high culture/discipline

- Iv already seen several reports of Jimbo/Petrino already getting into it and reports of a “toxic environment on the offensive side of the ball” as it pertains to his lack of willingness to fully relinquish that side of the ball (now maybe these issues have been solved since but that’s a Mystery)

- It’s a program built off of talent/momentum not Character/coaching when the talent/momentum isn’t enough…that tends to let things go sideways.

Now if anything above is pure B.S and it’s just because I’m drunk off of Orange & Green Kool-Aid and Vodka then…idk what to tell ya lol

Yeah. Dawson and Petrino alone make both teams TOTALLY different and can't use last year as a measuring stick AT ALL.

Both offenses will be markedly better.

Give me Dawson in Dawson vs Durkin.

Petrino vs Guidry will truly be a test for Guidry. Let us know how good our defense will/can be if we hold them 24under.
I'm not sure Petrino will show Guidry anything he hasn't seen before imo

Advertisement
- It’s more about seeing how A&Ms players once they transferred (see Harris & Bouie) along with the suspensions even last year when they played us. Fisher knows who he’s recruiting and he’s recruiting talent over Integrity/intelligence. Same at FSU.

- Jimbos Track record is not known at all to have a programs of high culture/discipline

- Iv already seen several reports of Jimbo/Petrino already getting into it and reports of a “toxic environment on the offensive side of the ball” as it pertains to his lack of willingness to fully relinquish that side of the ball (now maybe these issues have been solved since but that’s a Mystery)

- It’s a program built off of talent/momentum not Character/coaching when the talent/momentum isn’t enough…that tends to let things go sideways.

Now if anything above is pure B.S and it’s just because I’m drunk off of Orange & Green Kool-Aid and Vodka then…idk what to tell ya lol
Appreciate the response

Only a few more weeks until we start getting some answers I’m ****** ready

I mentioned I thought their secondary last year was underrated. Can you inform us a bit about what they're doing to replace those guys? I see they picked up Tony Grimes (former UNC CB), who can be had, especially in a big game where he'll likely be overaggressive.

I also see the kid (Anderson) who replaced that star Safety (Johnson) supposedly showed up in Spring. He's a key and hopefully Arroyo or Skinner or someone can win a matchup on the hash with him. Otherwise, we're going to need someone like Ray Ray or Brashard to give us a nice stretch from the slot. I don't think that's Restrepo's game.

Overall, I think their back 7 is weaker than last season's matchup and that's where we'd have to hit. I suspect their DL will be stronger this season.
They won’t have their issues worked out fast enough to deal with Miami I can tell you that. Bryce is just as aggressive as grimes but at the position he’ll be playing that’s not really an issue. But he’s the guy we need to key on. Wherever he’s aligned you can pretty much guess the coverages if you’re savvy. We’re going to be able to run by them though. They’re not as good in press this year. Arroyo/skinner will be open up the seams but we really need a WR1 type performance from young to roll a safety to his side cause I think they’re gonna play two deep

Advertisement
As awful as we were last year we lost by 3 and that game had lots of crazy fluke plays go UNC's way + a RZ Knighton fumble when we had all the momentum. Not saying it'll be an easy W by any means but acting like UNC gonna tear us apart easily is a stretch even by mope standards. I expect a close game.
UNC has our number, so until that's proven otherwise I don't have faith.

Yes and no.

I agree that no team should be overlooked. But this is not a good team and it's also the first game of the season. This should give us a very basic idea of how we look but it shouldn't tell us any more than playing a Bethune Cookman type team.

If we don't drag Miami of OH I'll be less bullish on this squad going into the game against A&M. We desperately need to build confidence on this team and feel like we are good. Stomping an inferior opponent makes you feel good and play with more confidence.

Does thumping the RedHawks mean anything moving forward? Not really. But if we don't look like we are supremely more talented than them I won't be getting my hopes up for us exceeding preseason expectations

Last edited:
Advertisement
Saying they have youth isn't understating
You didn't only say they have youth. In the same statement, you then juxtaposed the youth with our veterans. The implication is that the youth is a possible weakness - perhaps inexperience or strength. I think that youth/vet comparison amounts to an understatement, as they're not really *that* young anymore in terms of experience and I would not categorize them as physically weak.

I agree it's a key matchup and we *should* do some positive work with our iOL, but I believe it will have to be from talent AND scheme. Because, at DE, Diggs (Junior) and Stewart have a bunch snaps under their belt and they're not small/weak (as youth would indicate). And, at DT, Mckinnley Jackson is a Senior and around him are a bunch of talented Sophomores.

If we don't drag Miami of OH I'll be less bullish on this squad going into the game against A&M. We desperately need to build confidence on this team and feel like we are good. Stomping an inferior opponent makes you feel good and play with more confidence.

Does thumping the RedHawks mean anything moving forward? Not really. But if we don't look like we are supremely more talented than them I won't be getting my hoped up for us exceeding preseason expectations
I’m not as worried about the Score against Miami Ohio as I am about several things I wanna see that we struggle to do against weaker competition (and all of last year)

- Explosive plays
- How our OL looks
- DLs ability to create havoc/stop the run
- who will lead our WRs?
- how do we utilize our 4 Backs (good problem t have)
- how do we utilize Skinner/Arroyo/McCormick and maybe even Williams (another good problem to have)
- How do our LBs (our starting lineup is way different than last year)

I expect some rust to be worked out but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s similar to the UAB game back in 2020 where we won in the 31-10 Range.

I’m not as worried about the Score against Miami Ohio as I am about several things I wanna see that we struggle to do against weaker competition (and all of last year)

- Explosive plays
- How our OL looks
- DLs ability to create havoc/stop the run
- who will lead our WRs?
- how do we utilize our 4 Backs (good problem t have)
- how do we utilize Skinner/Arroyo/McCormick and maybe even Williams (another good problem to have)
- How do our LBs (our starting lineup is way different than last year)

I expect some rust to be worked out but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s similar to the UAB game back in 2020 where we won in the 31-10 Range.
if this happens get ready for 7 wins

Advertisement
Man Gattis was scheming some good plays, Ivey was playing like a DAWG, Steele had them bottled up

And we still blew it…

I will say this, and this isn’t to your post but just the general sentiments, if it’s one thing I’ve learned about college football over the years is last year doesn’t matter.

The preseason rankings don’t matter. The analysts are always wrong. Teams come outta nowhere, teams flop etc

No idea what to truly expect out of this game but I can’t wait

Man Gattis was scheming some good plays, Ivey was playing like a DAWG, Steele had them bottled up

And we still blew it…

I will say this, and this isn’t to your post but just the general sentiments, if it’s one thing I’ve learned about college football over the years is last year doesn’t matter.

The preseason rankings don’t matter. The analysts are always wrong. Teams come outta nowhere, teams flop etc

No idea what to truly expect out of this game but I can’t wait
Every single one of us would have taken those stats before the game began. And every single one of us would have thought we won by 10-14 points. 175 yards rushing....

They won’t have their issues worked out fast enough to deal with Miami I can tell you that. Bryce is just as aggressive as grimes but at the position he’ll be playing that’s not really an issue. But he’s the guy we need to key on. Wherever he’s aligned you can pretty much guess the coverages if you’re savvy. We’re going to be able to run by them though. They’re not as good in press this year. Arroyo/skinner will be open up the seams but we really need a WR1 type performance from young to roll a safety to his side cause I think they’re gonna play two deep
Durkin will most definitely play 2 safety high.

Yep, I have real concerns about our tackles giving TVD enough time in this game.
Nah. Ball will be out of his hands. Only time the pass rush will matter is on our Deep shots. Otherwise. No reason for tackles to struggle but Sooo much in this offense.

To me, it'll be on TvD or receivers not getting open than it will be the Oline

if this happens get ready for 7 wins
I wrote a big assed mopey response this morning, then deleted- but agree. @StevoBevo has it succinctly put.
We have a So Missou like game to open and I call it a 21 pt blowout to ATM.
My money's on Petrino having a successful day vs. Guidry (and I LOVE the guidry hire); can we punch back? Doubtful til prven otherwise.
Think we'll bully Miami OH with the run late in the 3rd and through 4th, no matter what.
If our passing game is off v ATM, we in for a long day.

Advertisement
Back