A Look At 2024

I'd expect our recruiting to pick up some with the run we've had the last 2 seasons. I'd like to believe Coach L will have more options to look at with back to back Elite 8 & Final 4 finishes. Not saying he's gonna have his pick of the litter but do think more top 50 guys will give Miami serious consideration moving forward. Miller leaving will be tough and if Wong also leaves that will give us to huge holes to fill. Do like what I've seen from Wooga and Benz during the latter part of the season. Those 2 have a chance to be big time next season. A starting 5 of Benz, Pack, Wooga, Beverly and Omier is nothing to sneeze at. Hopefully, some of young guys start to take that next step in their development as well.

Advertisement
I want Walker off this team
Bless his soul, but tonight was just a microcosm of what we've seen from Walker this season. He's constantly looking selfish and confused. Selfish when he's probably the 4th or 5th option on offense but taking 3 pointers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. He looks confused plenty on defense whether it's losing his man in transition or switches, not knowing his assignment in a zone or rotation, etc. Still think he brings something to the table, but IMHO his mindset has got to change. He's got to understand that it's ok to be Robin. Everybody ain't built to be Batman. As much as I've critiqued him over the years, I for one would love to have him back next season if all his eligibility isn't up. I think he still has something to offer this program.

I'd expect our recruiting to pick up some with the run we've had the last 2 seasons. I'd like to believe Coach L will have more options to look at with back to back Elite 8 & Final 4 finishes. Not saying he's gonna have his pick of the litter but do think more top 50 guys will give Miami serious consideration moving forward. Miller leaving will be tough and if Wong also leaves that will give us to huge holes to fill. Do like what I've seen from Wooga and Benz during the latter part of the season. Those 2 have a chance to be big time next season. A starting 5 of Benz, Pack, Wooga, Beverly and Omier is nothing to sneeze at. Hopefully, some of young guys start to take that next step in their development as well.
Pigging backing off of this, I love L and I get why he prefers transfers. But man he misses on big time recruits who’d really make a difference. Portal guys are great but high school studs are where you grow the recruiting base.

I feel everyone that has time left should stay , they all should absorb as much of L as possible.
NBA is a grind that not many make and just waller in camps riding pine .
When they should with L so he can pour everything into them plus make another run.

Ther are thousands of BB players that leave early along with regulars . The NBA doesn’t have huge rosters and you’ll disappear in the crowd , wishing you could have stayed and play on a awesomely coached team that’s proven elite.

But they know what’s best for there families and not a coach that has experience and wisdom beyond a 20 year old .

GOCANES

I find it interesting how a lot of people either here or on Twitter are clamoring for another starting big. I don’t know where I stand.

Two-straight years we’ve basically played 4 guards and one big, and we’ve had arguably the two best years in program history. Basketball seems to be trending smaller than bigger, with speed versatility and shooting being more valuable.

UConn was a terrible matchup but how many teams across the country have two athletic bigs like they do? And they never played both bigs at the same time. Despite our size getting exposed tonight, I can’t see L panicking and changing his philosophy.

Now, what we could do with is bigger guards who are still athletic as **** and good shooters. But with Pack, Poplar and Joseph all coming back that’s probably a 2-3 year goal for the program.

Advertisement
I find it interesting how a lot of people either here or on Twitter are clamoring for another starting big. I don’t know where I stand.

Two-straight years we’ve basically played 4 guards and one big, and we’ve had arguably the two best years in program history. Basketball seems to be trending smaller than bigger, with speed versatility and shooting being more valuable.

UConn was a terrible matchup but how many teams across the country have two athletic bigs like they do? And they never played both bigs at the same time. Despite our size getting exposed tonight, I can’t see L panicking and changing his philosophy.

Now, what we could do with is bigger guards who are still athletic as **** and good shooters. But with Pack, Poplar and Joseph all coming back that’s probably a 2-3 year goal for the program.
🎯, nothing like a force in the paint to lean on people UConn BIGGEN was a force a presence.
I mentioned in tournament play you gotta hit threes being the paint was being controlled.

I’m not a BB guy but see what is obvious you have to reach outside the paint some how.

We couldn’t so we lost .

I want everyone to come back to a powerhouse tournament team . If this happens book your hotel now.

I’m inspired to the point to withstand the annual call to fire L early on . I would love to hear L’s thoughts on our Cane warm loving “ family “ wanting to fire him every year.

GOCANES

I don’t know if we necessarily need a starting center, but at minimum we need a rim protecting big who can come off the bench and eat up quality minutes by rebounding, defending the paint, and chipping in with some easy inside baskets. We didn’t have that this year. When Omier had to come out due to foul trouble, we often turned to walker, who was often a huge liability.

Currently on the roster: Need Aire to be a guy, and Watson to be who most of us think he can be. Need Jakai to be playable or leave. Need Casey to take the next step. Thank Beverly and Walker for their service and wish them luck at their next schools.

Need another scoring guard and a big man over 6’9 to spell Omier or play next to him.

That’s second weekend of the tourney material with a chance to get back here next year. Kinda crazy that this team made it this far and did so well, with as little depth as they had.
Agreed with all except I wouldn’t mind Beverly coming back.

Pack Wooga Omier and even Joseph is a nice returning core to build around. Need Watson and Casey to take a Wooga like 2nd year leap. Also would be very beneficial to get some true size in the portal and maybe another proven scorer. I wouldn't mind seeing beverly return as a nice off the bench piece but he may he looking for an expanded role elsewhere. Losing Miller is a huge blow. He was so good and so consistent all year long. One of my all time favorites. Unfortunately I've thought and it felt like in the postgame interview that it was Wongs last season. Gna be really hard to replace two stars but if any can do it, it's Coach L. Never thought I'd be more excited for Canes basketball to return than I am Canes football...

Advertisement
People keep saying "he was looking to leave" but all he did was "explore" the NBA draft, which just means you get a lot of free feedback from the league. There is zero downside to going through the process, you'd be crazy not to. Raises your profile too. My only point is I don't know that he's got one foot out the door just because he took the eval. I think he would like to go and be a first rounder, but if that's not where he's projected, then he has some thinking to do.

I know the NBA is his goal, but we might be able to make the case that his best path to a long NBA career would be to come back, while also banking a record NIL deal that will assure him a solid start in life regardless of how his basketball career goes.

I’d feel better about Wong coming back if someone like you were his agent. I totally agree with your take but I don’t see him coming back. I hope I’m Wrong but I do believe, he gone!

Coach L also needs to invest in Norchads offense. He can certainly improve his footwork and develop a nice 10 footer. Once they schemed against his spin move he was pretty much done.

I don’t know if we necessarily need a starting center, but at minimum we need a rim protecting big who can come off the bench and eat up quality minutes by rebounding, defending the paint, and chipping in with some easy inside baskets. We didn’t have that this year. When Omier had to come out due to foul trouble, we often turned to walker, who was often a huge liability.

Advertisement
Miller is obviously gone. I think Wong leaves too. We need a rim protecting center who can crash the glass and be a presence in the paint, and then I’d use the other spot on a ball handling guard or an athletic wing,

Good thing is that there are quite a few available via portal... and of course if we can get Aire to put on 30 lbs, he could be Sonogo

Last edited:
Poplar is a draft guy in a year at this trajectory. Need two out of the portal. One big that compliments Omier and a shooter/3-level guy depending on Wong. Go get ****inson from Michigan.

Advertisement

We will fill the holes through the portal... plenty of scorers available.
Portal changes everything. Every year is a free agency

UConn may have been the only team that could have beaten us as they did last night.
But I will add that this looked like the Maryland game, another big team. And even then I worried that playing another big team would be a problem. I also hoped that L would have brought Casey along more to get some more size on the court. But frankly, Casey seemed to regress over the season. By the end that meant Walker was our only back up big and against a team with 2 big guys, especially one as talented as Sanogo, we could not get anything out of Walker on defense. Unless he got lucky and made shots he was destined to be a net negative.

Advertisement
Back