A Few Guys Arguing Non-Stop [F/K/A "Let’s check on Lane Kiffen"]

Why can't we all just admit that both coaches failed this year for their expectations. The book isn't closed on either coach, but not a good look for them just regarding how the season played out.

Both Mario's and Lane's team were undisciplined. Lots of turnovers and penalties for both teams. Ole Miss obviously struggled more down the stretch with this than they did earlier in the season.

Both teams sucked in short yardage situations, mainly on 3rd and short and 4th and short. I don't know how many times we failed in short yardage situations. It was worse than under the Golden and Manny eras. Ole Miss wasn't that good either. They gambled on 4th down a lot and failed. Lane did this a lot and he put his team in a bad position. Just take the points (if you are in field goal range), or punt if you are on your own side of the field. There is clearly a time and place to go for it on 4th down, but Lane was awful most of the time with his decision making on 4th down.

Terrible way for Lane to end the season with 5 losses out of his last 6 games. In fairness to Lane, his team was pretty much still "in" the game until 4th qtr and in position to win some of the games until the last play. Arkansas was the exception where they fell behind big very early, but still played hard until the end. The offense had over 700 yards that game, so it was still competitive, despite the final score. For Mario, the game was over in the 2nd qtr for majority of the losses with exception of Texas A&M, Duke and UNC. We weren't even competitive in the 4 losses against MTSU, FSU, Clemson, Pitt.

Both coaches have a lot to prove for the 2023 season. Personally, I think there is more pressure on Lane as he will be in his 4th season with Ole Miss. He needs to finally get past Bama. I don't know if he can do it. Sorry Lane guys, but 8-5 next year for Lane is not acceptable. Mario set the bar so low, just having a winning record for next will be improvement. 7-5, 6-6 will still be major disappointment for me, but I think it will be fine for many by the new Miami standards.

Advertisement
This thread's about Lane, remember?

His first 3 years at USC 25-13. Year 4 he was fired after a 3-2 start.
His first 3 years at Ole Miss 23-13. He's not getting better.

lmao. Ok
25-13 with how many scholarship losses and bowl bans at usc?

Going 23-13 at ole miss gets you a lifetime contract.

5-7 losses to mtsu, duke, pitt, *** whooping from norvell, losing 7 of last 10. YEP GETTING BETTER!

You really aren't smart. There are tons of articles on lanes recruiting abilities. You just refuse to believe facts.

Yes educate yourself because your football knowledge is that of a high-school girl.

I asked you to explain your "fact" about Lane "bringing in the #1 class at USC".

You gave me a 2015 article on "Lane's recruiting abilities".

As per usual, your responses are non-responsive.

All the internet links in the world will never constitute you ACTUALLY answering a direct question with a direct RELEVANT answer.

But it never was…it was always about Mario (or Lane vs Mario)…

Wrong.

When the thread was started, Lane Kiffin had 11 commits. That, in and of itself, is an interesting discussion.

Otherwise, by your standard, EVERY SINGLE THREAD about ANY TOPIC that does not involve UM or Mario becomes a "comparison", even when it is not.

For the record, ppl wonder where the “Kiffin Can’t Recruit” narrative came from, & it came from his time at SC.

Kiffin’s name was a hot commodity as an OC at SC. Hence, he went from CFB OC to the NFL as a HC (it also helped he was the son of a well-respected NFL DC). We know he epically failed w/ The Raiders, but he was given a pass at the collegiate level b/c of his time at SC & let’s be frank, he’s polarizing.

At UTenn, in a transition class, he got the #8 class. His first two yrs at SC, he brought in back to back #3 classes. Then something weird happened, & no, it had chit to do w/ sanctions, b/c he was bringing in the #3 classes during this time. The SC class in yr 3 dipped a bit to #8, after the sanctions, & in his final half yr, bottomed to #13.

Now why do I use the term “bottomed” out? Here were SC’s class rankings after Pete got them rolling:

2002 - 8
2003 - 2
2004 - 2
2005 - 2
2006 - 1
2007 - 2
2008 - 4
2009 - 2

SC under Carroll was a recruiting machine, & Kiffin took full advantage of that momentum those first 2 yrs & carried on that recruiting prowess, & then yr 3 that momentum went away. It’s b/c Kiffin relied upon SC’s brand vs. actually recruiting. I can unequivocally tell u he had layups at SC feeder schools & refused to contact or follow up. SC fans, til this day hate him.

When Kiffin is under someone as a #2, he can recruit b/c he has no choice. When he’s the #1, he’s inconsistent. That’s y The Portal is great for him; minimal work, convince guys who want PT who r bouncing around to come in vs. having to deal w/ a high profiled player from HS who’s impressionable & indecisive.

100% facts.

Advertisement
Wrong.

When the thread was started, Lane Kiffin had 11 commits. That, in and of itself, is an interesting discussion.

Otherwise, by your standard, EVERY SINGLE THREAD about ANY TOPIC that does not involve UM or Mario becomes a "comparison", even when it is not.
Up to 12 now, but he went 8-5 and Mario went 5-7 so Lane FTW!

Lol; he’s NEVER brought in a #1 class at SC.

And his “Top 20” classes at Ole Miss is based upon the transfer portal, not HS recruiting.

And can u pls stop acting like Ole Miss is recruiting at a G5 level?

Kiffin’s 3 predecessors;

2008 - #31 (Nutt - Pause)
2009 - #17 (Nutt - Pause)
2010 - #25 (Nutt - Pause)
2011 - #21 (Nutt - Pause)
2012 - #48 (Freeze)
2013 - #8 (Freeze)
2014 - #17 (Freeze)
2015 - #17 (Freeze)
2016 - #5 (Freeze)
2017 - #31 (Luke)
2018 - #32 (Luke)
2019 - #23 (Luke)

Kiffin has continued that same path. Even if I throw out Nutt (Pause) & Freeze, he’s on par w/ Luke.

2020 - #33
2021 - #17
2022 - #15 (27th recruiting + 2nd in T. Portal)
2023 - #22nd (36th recruiting + 10th in T. Portal)

Kiffin has resources, & a booster base desperate at winning. If Freeze had 2022 NCAA rules in regards to recruiting + portal access, I promise u he would be pulling in a top 10 class consistently at Ole Miss. ****, the muh fcka is already out recruiting him & he’s only been at AU for 3 secs!! (AU w/ the 19th ranked class in a transition yr).

Verdict: Knock it off.
You compared auburn to ole miss lmao. Which one has a ring in the past 10 years or so?

So you would say lane is a top 25 recruiter based off all his classes rankings?

You really aren't smart. There are tons of articles on lanes recruiting abilities. You just refuse to believe facts.

Yes educate yourself because your football knowledge is that of a high-school girl.

Did u actually check the date on this or nah? SC “started” w/ the #1 class in the Summer & fell out of the top #5 that yr. Maybe u should fact check before posting.

But for both ur & the boards records:

Kiffin yr 1 at SC (2010-11)

Kiffin yr 2 at SC (2011-12)

Kiffin yr 3 at SC (2012-13) *Which this article is referencing

Kiffin yr 4 at SC (2013-14)

Advertisement
Lol; he’s NEVER brought in a #1 class at SC.

And his “Top 20” classes at Ole Miss is based upon the transfer portal, not HS recruiting.

And can u pls stop acting like Ole Miss is recruiting at a G5 level?

Kiffin’s 3 predecessors;

2008 - #31 (Nutt - Pause)
2009 - #17 (Nutt - Pause)
2010 - #25 (Nutt - Pause)
2011 - #21 (Nutt - Pause)
2012 - #48 (Freeze)
2013 - #8 (Freeze)
2014 - #17 (Freeze)
2015 - #17 (Freeze)
2016 - #5 (Freeze)
2017 - #31 (Luke)
2018 - #32 (Luke)
2019 - #23 (Luke)

Kiffin has continued that same path. Even if I throw out Nutt (Pause) & Freeze, he’s on par w/ Luke.

2020 - #33
2021 - #17
2022 - #15 (27th recruiting + 2nd in T. Portal)
2023 - #22nd (36th recruiting + 10th in T. Portal)

Kiffin has resources, & a booster base desperate at winning. If Freeze had 2022 NCAA rules in regards to recruiting + portal access, I promise u he would be pulling in a top 10 class consistently at Ole Miss. ****, the muh fcka is already out recruiting him & he’s only been at AU for 3 secs!! (AU w/ the 19th ranked class in a transition yr).

Verdict: Knock it off.

Yeah, you and I have discussed this. I've got some very good friends who are USC alums/boosters/former-athletes who are much more knowledgeable about what happens at USC compared to this basement-dwelling "Crossover" character who only knows how to pull Rivals rankings.

He's not going to respond to you in any meaningful way. He is going to continue to tell us that Lane was an amazing recruiter and amazing coach at USC because "wins" and because he claims he knows what fanbases think...

I asked you to explain your "fact" about Lane "bringing in the #1 class at USC".

You gave me a 2015 article on "Lane's recruiting abilities".

As per usual, your responses are non-responsive.

All the internet links in the world will never constitute you ACTUALLY answering a direct question with a direct RELEVANT answer.
I was wrong. He brought in the number 3 class twice while at usc. Not the number 1.

Did u actually check the date on this or nah? SC “started” w/ the #1 class in the Summer & fell out of the top #5 that yr. Maybe u should fact check before posting.

But for both ur & the boards records:

Kiffin yr 1 at SC (2010-11)

Kiffin yr 2 at SC (2011-12)

Kiffin yr 3 at SC (2012-13) *Which this article is referencing

Kiffin yr 4 at SC (2013-14)
I was wrong based on a article i read.

He brought in the number 3 ranked class twice.

He obviously sucks as a recruiter to bring in 2 top 5 classes.

That's where it turned. Mario can build a successful program with the right supporting staff. I doubt Lane can do that and all the evidence agrees.

I want Miami to win big and am not tied to a coach. That said, for Mario to be able to come home, do it and build Miami back long term, that would be ******* incredible.

The ball is in his court…

Lane is amusing and I like him to be successful because it keeps his antics around and exciting football as well.

Advertisement
We try to tear Lane down with unfounded ideas? He just lost 5 out of 6 with his team. His guys. If people are going to blast our first year coach who ended up having to use a true freshman QB, please explain to me why a phenomenal coach like Lane had such a collapse with everything under his control.

Under his control?

Ole Miss, on paper, is at a disadvantage talent wise in most games. Those last 6 games, you really only expect them to play or contend with 3 of those schools, the others they're supposed to lose.

Miss State, rivalry game and a toss up. Went to the wire and they lost.

Arkansas, got beat like a drum on defense and put up yards, but couldn't score enough.

TT, bowl games always offer surprises. Hey, we use the term meaningless game, so can we use it here?

Bama and LSU, they should never be in that game but both were within a touchdown. Talent wise, they shouldn't be on the same field as A&M, but everyone of A&M'w opponents were and they won.

It wasn't a good end to the season, but one guy gets more out of less while the other struggled with teams that shouldn't even be on the same field. If I was an Ole Miss fan, I would've been disappointed with losing to Arkansas and TT, rralise State is a toss up always, and expected to lose against the other three, but we won one.

Why can't we all just admit that both coaches failed this year for their expectations. The book isn't closed on either coach, but not a good look for them just regarding how the season played out.

Both Mario's and Lane's team were undisciplined. Lots of turnovers and penalties for both teams. Ole Miss obviously struggled more down the stretch with this than they did earlier in the season.

Both teams sucked in short yardage situations, mainly on 3rd and short and 4th and short. I don't know how many times we failed in short yardage situations. It was worse than under the Golden and Manny eras. Ole Miss wasn't that good either. They gambled on 4th down a lot and failed. Lane did this a lot and he put his team in a bad position. Just take the points (if you are in field goal range), or punt if you are on your own side of the field. There is clearly a time and place to go for it on 4th down, but Lane was awful most of the time with his decision making on 4th down.

Terrible way for Lane to end the season with 5 losses out of his last 6 games. In fairness to Lane, his team was pretty much still "in" the game until 4th qtr and in position to win some of the games until the last play. Arkansas was the exception where they fell behind big very early, but still played hard until the end. The offense had over 700 yards that game, so it was still competitive, despite the final score. For Mario, the game was over in the 2nd qtr for majority of the losses with exception of Texas A&M, Duke and UNC. We weren't even competitive in the 4 losses against MTSU, FSU, Clemson, Pitt.

Both coaches have a lot to prove for the 2023 season. Personally, I think there is more pressure on Lane as he will be in his 4th season with Ole Miss. He needs to finally get past Bama. I don't know if he can do it. Sorry Lane guys, but 8-5 next year for Lane is not acceptable. Mario set the bar so low, just having a winning record for next will be improvement. 7-5, 6-6 will still be major disappointment for me, but I think it will be fine for many by the new Miami standards.
Good post man but 8 wins for lane next year is a good season.

6 or 7 for mario is a failure. Duke won 9 with a first year coach.

Ole miss isn’t on bama, uga, lsu, tenn level. Miami has more talent than anyone not named clemson.

Advertisement
You compared auburn to ole miss lmao. Which one has a ring in the past 10 years or so?

So you would say lane is a top 25 recruiter based off all his classes rankings?

U’re mental gymnastics to defend a guy is quite amazing. If ur physical gymnastics was half as good as ur mental gymnastics, u would be the defending gold medalist every Olympics.

Did Freeze just get there, yes or no? BTW, AU class was 21st last season, & I’m pretty sure they were out the top 20 b4 he arrived.

And would I have Kiffin as a top 25 recruiter based upon all his class rankings? How about we examine him as a recruiter. Now, do me a favor:

1. I want u to look at how many TOTAL players he’s been responsible for recruiting

2. I want u to click on each player & see the yr they committed & then compare that to his HC resume.

Up to 12 now, but he went 8-5 and Mario went 5-7 so Lane FTW!

Thank you, sir. That's all I was ever saying, and all I commented on, out of the box (Page 1 was a long time ago).

It is fascinating that an SEC school with a "successful" coach and massive recruiting resources...can only manage 11 (now 12) high school recruits in a "no-IC-limitations" year.

That is all. Has nothing to do with Mario's coaching.

I was wrong based on a article i read.

He brought in the number 3 ranked class twice.

He obviously sucks as a recruiter to bring in 2 top 5 classes.

I'm not going to go too far with this tangent, but one of the biggest sticking points for about 20 pages has been your inability to acknowledge the OVERALL state of a program when a coach steps in. Some are in great shape, some are in terrible shape. And USC was on one HELLUVA recruiting roll when Lane was hired.

No comparisons. No tangents. No worthless "but X wins last year and Y wins this year" nonsense.

Not every coaching job opportunity is created equal.

Advertisement
Back