A different perspective...

Macho,

First off.....apologize for going all in on your thread. I appreciate your contributions and think you have a very good head on your shoulders and are probably a great coach. You obviously have tremendous knowledge of the game. I coached in Montana btw....no where near the competition level you do obviously, but coaching the game is coaching the game.

I also don't disagree with ALL of what you posted. I think that what you wrote about what YOU and your staff is going through on your high school team is legitimate. I've witnessed the difficulties with my own two eyes. Changing culture and getting the kids "up to speed and on board" schematically does usually take more than a year at a high school program, although there should be flashes of a breakthrough.

1. Culture- You say the culture needs changing? Well I think Richt has gotten the "culture" turned around pretty quickly. I don't see a lot of quitting or moping quite yet, however, as Chise pointed out that can change in a hurry. If we continue to get our **** pushed in on the offensive side of the ball, there will be a mutiny soon enough (SFL football community will make sure of that).

2. Schemes- The schemes version of you post is where you really go off the rails. First off.....installing, repetition, practice time, resources, coaches (#'s and quality) and everything is magnified 100X at the college level. Great offensive minds change jobs on the regular and CONSISTENTLY make a year 1 transformation. (Herman, Babers and the list goes on) I'm also not saying I want Babers as the Head Coach, just pointing out the **** stains he has to work on his roster (for everyone claiming Richt needs "his guys"). Check out Syracuse offensive stats from last year and compare to this year. Now that's a GOOD offensive mind (or new Texas OC) Thing is we'll never mistake Richt for being a great offensive mind, because he obviously isn't one. Great offensive coaches can and should make the year 1 transition.

It has nothing to do with what we EXPECTED our record to be this year. It's irrelevant really. It's about the product we've put on the field. The offense has been dog$hit all year, it's just been masked by playing inferior competition the first 4 weeks.

It's also Richts CHOICE to put Berrios and Lewis out there on KR. You trying to tell me this team has NO ONE better than Lewis to return kicks? lol Just proves that Richt is a conservative, risk averse ***** and he coaches like one week in and week out.

This should've been your first post in here dude. This is a respectful post that is relevant to the conversation. I like to engage is genuine football talk.

Point #2 is very valid and I cannot argue with it at all.

Advertisement
Keep in mind, in my first post I'm not saying that these things are indeed the reason we're struggling. I'm just giving the perspective of someone who's gone through something similar.

Posts like the one above could sway me in either direction though.

Guys who've never done it...

Always have the answers.

See this is just an **** response. "I'm a coach and I've done it and you guys are just message board posters".

Yes, I'm just a message board poster. But I've been watching football since I was 5 years old and been a hardcore fan since I was 10. I know what good football is and I know what bad football is.

The offense that Mark Richt puts on the field is not good football. No matter how you slice it.

I watch **** and have won 8 straight titles on Madden. I therefor provide a legitimate perspective on anything football or fuggin.

Macho making valid points and some people just dont get it. Probably involved in contributing into the narrative that we were headed for the playoffs. Bipolar *** fans.

I value Coach Macho's opinion, but when this veered into "Process," "Brick by Brick," blaming player work ethic and the inevitable "Guys who've never done it...," I'm calling Coaching-speak BS

Ever been at WAR? How about getting deployed for the first time in a relatively new military speciality right into Iraq, 2003-2004. Come from a combat-oriented speciality with one war and two expeditionary confliscts under my belt. I'm advance team, have to learn what a previous team did, then find all their shortcomings. My "team" comes in and they are (with one exception) from different commands, with different experiance levels and knowledge, mostly very young and in their first war. Some have poor attitudes, some are homesick, and everyone has different levels of fear (yes, even multiple war vets have fear). Do I go to the commander and talk about it being "a process" to get these mostly 19-24 year olds to work as a "team?" Do I tell them I have to build "brick by brick" and that I need time to change the culture? **** NO, We have a mission to do. Easier than football? Yeah sure, lots of LIVES on the line, not first downs. You cajole, you yell, you let them cry in your shoulder...In other words, you LEAD. You will be amazed how much you can get done when you work day and night to discover new talent, bring in new ideas and concepts (and people to teach them when necessary) and gain success out of adversity.

Sorry, I realize the limitations a HS program has compared to D1, but having dealt with inept HS coaches and hearing these same spiels over an over, my belief is that it's like the rest of our public school system: Overpaid and unaccountable for the results produced.

Huh? I've "been to war" and can't figure out the point you're making.

Plenty of soldiers don't perform well in combat; even the U.S. Army estimates that about 30% of soldiers don't fire their weapon in their first combat. However, often they don't survive and what you aee left with is battle tested vets who can perform, and you just get a bunch of new soldiers to repeat the process.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with the players we have. We will sink or swim with them until we get better talent. Even though our defense is playing well, do you think these players are up to normal UM standards? I watched the OSU/Wisconsin game last night and the talent both teams had on the defensive side of the ball is way better than what we have. The talent gap on the offensive side was even greater. Coaching can help offset this, but we aren't anywhere near ready to be a top ten team.

Maybe your Commander/CO didn't mind excuses...My team's role included trying to keep planes from getting shot out of the sky, so, as the cliche goes, failure was not an option.

Okay, let's take it to nice stateside America. Your the sales manager at a car dealership, a marketing lead for a speciaty retailer, an oil well fire crew foreman. Do you think your boss is going to except "brick by brick" and "It's a process" for long when you don't meet sales targets or are burning away money?

I'm tired of euphemistic "Coach Speak" especially when most of them couldn't even build a Lego set "Brick by Brick."

You get relatively well compensated for trying to make competitors (in a GAME) out of the raw material you are given. If you don't like it, find another job out here with the rest of us...Just don't try telling your boss "It's a process" too many times!

Yeah, nobody in my unit tolerated failure because we actually had bullets being shot at us, and if you screwed up YOU died, not some pilot.

Fortunately, you actually prove my point with your post. If a car salesman isn't performing, fire him and get a new one. College football coaches can't do that; they have to wait until signing day. You have to live or die with what you have.

Advertisement
BEWARE!!! LONG A$$ POST!!!

Cane brethren, let me attempt to drop a little level-headed logic in here and calm the nerves. Everybody's all worked up and acting like the sky is falling.

My staff and I are currently in the process of trying to bring a once dominant football program back to it's days of glory, much like Richt is attempting to do at Miami. The similarities between our program (our struggles) and Miami's program (and Miami's struggles) are incredibly similar.

I'd like to use this dreadful experience that I'm (we're) going through to give you guys a more level-headed perspective on Miami.

1. CULTURE - When we arrived here the first thing we noticed was the lackluster culture. Everybody had become used to mediocrity. The former alumni (some of which have sons on the current team) were still living in the past and talking about their glory days. There's really nothing recent to boast over, much like Miami. Kids weren't being held accountable, they were often thrown under the bus by former coaches and their work ethic sucked. They weren't having fun playing football, they were simply doing it because they're from Bradenton and that's what's expected of them. Everybody here had a loser's mentality. That's all they've known. Our seniors have never seen anything better than a 5-5 record. (one season they went 1-9) THIS IS A VIRUS AND IT CAN'T BE CURED IN ONE SEASON!!! YOU HAVE TO "FILTER" YOUR PROGRAM AND WEED OUT THE LOSERS. This means we've had to do several things. We've benched kids. We've brought up younger/hungrier kids from JV. (we have tons of 10th graders on our depth chart) Those kids haven't been infected by the virus yet. We've also had to suspend kids almost every week for various reasons. (not coming to practice, bad grades, refusing to do conditioning/weights, skipping workouts, getting in trouble on campus, etc etc etc) We just booted our starting CB and starting Free Safety last week for habitual offenses and this week we had to suspend a starting O-lineman cause he got caught stealing cheeseburgers from the cafeteria. It's always something dumb with these kids. Like I said, IT'S A VIRUS.
WHEN YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT FOOTBALL, CAUSE YOU'RE USED TO LOSING, THEN YOU DON'T STAY IN LINE.

2. SCHEMES - Much like Miami, we are a pretty good defensive team (top-3 in Manatee County) and an incredibly mediocre offensive team. The defense wasn't very good recently and again, much like Miami, we came in and installed a new scheme and we've seen instant improvements. However, the offensive side of the ball is much harder to "plug-and-play". Much like Miami's fans, our locals are questioning us almost every week, win or lose. We've heard a million different theories as to why our offense sucks and all kinds of advice about what we should be doing. Here's the thing they don't realize though. Our HC/OC was Broward County Coach of the Year in 2014 and he had the #2 offense in all of South Florida (Broward + Dade). They scored more points against Flanagan High School than any other team/offense during the Devin Bush era. And this is without any D1 athletes. THE GUY KNOWS HOW TO RUN AN OFFENSE. We've seen him have big success before. Remind you of anybody? Sounds like Richt to me. New flash, THESE GUYS DIDN'T FORGET HOW TO COACH. The truth of the matter is.... (and I'm sure Richt is going through the same thing)...we can't run our whole offense with these new kids. Our WR's are unreliable. Our QB is very shaky with his reads. Our O-line is young and inconsistent. We also don't have the talent that our school is accustomed to having because they're all playing for other local teams. (sound like Miami?) Combine those things with the "virus" I spoke about in point #1 and you have a terrible and inconsistent offense that LOOKS poorly coached/coordinated on Friday nights. (much like Miami's offense)

When attempting to revamp a program you have to erase everything that has become "habit" over the years. This doesn't happen over the course of one season. Impossible.

You're installing new schemes and new concepts that your players are completely unfamiliar with. You're trying to instill a work ethic that has been missing. You're trying to instill accountability. You're trying to revamp the S&C program and create a new culture in the weight room. (much like Miami is doing) And on top of all that, you're trying to gain the trust of 50+ kids that have been let down by their coaches year after year.

You can lead them to water but you can't make them drink. And you can coach your a$$ off in the attempt to make them better players but at some point they're going to revert back to what they've been doing for the past couple years. It's a habit!

We (Miami) had a SENIOR wide receiver catch a kick out of bounds on the 2 yard line today. Seriously?!
The fact that we even have Lewis and Berrios returning kicks is a microcosm of how bad the recruiting was under the last regime. Those 2 guys have no business returning kicks. The WR and CB position are very "un-Miami" right now in terms of speed and talent. The Linebacker position is being carried by 3 true Freshman. The RB position is GOOD but not elite enough to make-up for the deficiencies at OL and WR or the inconsistencies at QB.

Did you guys really think Miami would go 10-2 this year? That's almost unheard of in a Head Coach's first year. (has it ever happened before?)
Even if Richt was the best coach walking earth, we don't even have enough talent/depth to go 10-2 right now. (and we already talked about the virus/culture)

I don't wanna compare high school ball to big-time college football but I think the situations are very similar. The analogy is accurate IMO. I kinda wanted to give you guys my/our perspective on what it's like to revamp a struggling program and the various challenges it presents.

So many great coaches have started their (new) regimes with crappy seasons.

BREATH FELLAS. Have faith. Be patient.

IT'S A PROCESS.

Tom Herman went whatever and 1 last yr in his first year. Only exception I can think of. I do agree with your post. You can't change the culture over night. I do think with slightly better execution by OL, Kaaya, and the WRs, we could/should be 6-0 and no one would be *****ing. However, we would be the same exact team in the same exact position. With a top-notch recruiting class this year we will be competing at a higher level. We need studs across the OL, LB, secondary, and game changers at RB...

Well...I've coached for almost two decades. Been a head coach, coordinator, position coach and I don't agree with anything you said. He agrees with you because he's a Richt **** rider (look at his screen name).[/QUOTE]

What I said has nothing to do with being a Richt supporter but everything to do with what I have experienced as being a coach. Congratz to you for holding all those positions, was that on Madden 15 or 16? We just disagree on the state of things right now. I hope I'm right and you are wrong.

I value Coach Macho's opinion, but when this veered into "Process," "Brick by Brick," blaming player work ethic and the inevitable "Guys who've never done it...," I'm calling Coaching-speak BS

Ever been at WAR? How about getting deployed for the first time in a relatively new military speciality right into Iraq, 2003-2004. Come from a combat-oriented speciality with one war and two expeditionary confliscts under my belt. I'm advance team, have to learn what a previous team did, then find all their shortcomings. My "team" comes in and they are (with one exception) from different commands, with different experiance levels and knowledge, mostly very young and in their first war. Some have poor attitudes, some are homesick, and everyone has different levels of fear (yes, even multiple war vets have fear). Do I go to the commander and talk about it being "a process" to get these mostly 19-24 year olds to work as a "team?" Do I tell them I have to build "brick by brick" and that I need time to change the culture? **** NO, We have a mission to do. Easier than football? Yeah sure, lots of LIVES on the line, not first downs. You cajole, you yell, you let them cry in your shoulder...In other words, you LEAD. You will be amazed how much you can get done when you work day and night to discover new talent, bring in new ideas and concepts (and people to teach them when necessary) and gain success out of adversity.

Sorry, I realize the limitations a HS program has compared to D1, but having dealt with inept HS coaches and hearing these same spiels over an over, my belief is that it's like the rest of our public school system: Overpaid and unaccountable for the results produced.

Huh? I've "been to war" and can't figure out the point you're making.

Plenty of soldiers don't perform well in combat; even the U.S. Army estimates that about 30% of soldiers don't fire their weapon in their first combat. However, often they don't survive and what you aee left with is battle tested vets who can perform, and you just get a bunch of new soldiers to repeat the process.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with the players we have. We will sink or swim with them until we get better talent. Even though our defense is playing well, do you think these players are up to normal UM standards? I watched the OSU/Wisconsin game last night and the talent both teams had on the defensive side of the ball is way better than what we have. The talent gap on the offensive side was even greater. Coaching can help offset this, but we aren't anywhere near ready to be a top ten team.

Maybe your Commander/CO didn't mind excuses...My team's role included trying to keep planes from getting shot out of the sky, so, as the cliche goes, failure was not an option.

Okay, let's take it to nice stateside America. Your the sales manager at a car dealership, a marketing lead for a speciaty retailer, an oil well fire crew foreman. Do you think your boss is going to except "brick by brick" and "It's a process" for long when you don't meet sales targets or are burning away money?

I'm tired of euphemistic "Coach Speak" especially when most of them couldn't even build a Lego set "Brick by Brick."

You get relatively well compensated for trying to make competitors (in a GAME) out of the raw material you are given. If you don't like it, find another job out here with the rest of us...Just don't try telling your boss "It's a process" too many times!

Yeah, nobody in my unit tolerated failure because we actually had bullets being shot at us, and if you screwed up YOU died, not some pilot.

Fortunately, you actually prove my point with your post. If a car salesman isn't performing, fire him and get a new one. College football coaches can't do that; they have to wait until signing day. You have to live or die with what you have.

Got shot at too dude, hence the "duties included." Small arms, 82mm mortars, 122/127mm rockets (the 127mm Astros rockets (Brazilian) were particularly bad), so don't assume (you know what that means). Gee, if your in deep ****, the first guy you are looking for is the ALO...So he can have "some pilot" in a fast mover (good) A-10 (excellent) or at night, an AC-130 (ORGASMIC) rain death on the enemy to save you and your buddies rear ends.

Yeah, you do with what you have, but you don't pile on a bunch of euphemisms to explain why you are slow doing it.

Advertisement
When the Canes were in their heyday there was wonderful contrast nationwide. I always dreaded the blue collar opponent to end the season. That's why I desperately rooted against Penn State in regular season 1986, Alabama in 1992 and especially Ohio State in 2002. I still remember Cincinnati dropping a pass in the end zone that would have upset the Buckeyes when Clarett was out, and removed Ohio State as an obstacle. Miami would have waltzed past any uptempo team.

These days I virtually concede the national title to Alabama every season. I'm more or less shocked when it doesn't happen. Thanks to these genius young offensive minded coaches, contrast is all but gone. They salivate over their cupcake designs, the ones that create simple open space against the vast majority of foes. Fans are happy. Alumni are happy. Look, we're modern. We scored 50 again. Isn't it wonderful!

There's no chance Alabama would be racking up titles at this rate and with relative ease if football hadn't evolved toward pantyhose offense. Saban can simply be more physical, more basic, more defensive minded and more talented and not much gets in the way. Changing quarterbacks doesn't matter a heck of a lot, not in the big picture. You really think he's going to stress someone like Oregon or Baylor even if he's got a comparatively pathetic quarterback? Even Oklahoma took the plunge toward tinkerbell finesse. Urban Meyer is a heck of a coach and the one serious threat. He uses spacing blended with physical straight ahead runs and an attacking defensive front. Otherwise the nation is mostly pretend defense.

And yes, it began with the high school ranks. Blame belongs there. I watched it evolve in Dade County and also in Las Vegas when I lived there. Coaches found a way to make their life far simpler, essentially by widening the field like it's a CFL game. Pace and space. Points aplenty. We can call these designs whatever we want. Mostly irrelevant. As long as we don't have to dislodge huge humans on the other side anymore, as opposed to misdirecting them or simply wearing them out, the scoreboard cooperates. Dinner is earlier.

Meanwhile, that type of lazy coach unknowingly plays smack into the hands of a very limited number of teams. As long as a great protector is inevitably still out there, whether it's Alabama in the college ranks, or a defense like Seattle or Denver's in the NFL, titles show up in greater regularity and ease than would otherwise be earned or logical.

After watching VT's offense and seeing how crisp and versatile their play-calling was...(in Fuente's first year)...you can't help but be discouraged about Richt.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back