A different perspective...

Coach Macho

aka Beardy Ryan
BEWARE!!! LONG A$$ POST!!!

Cane brethren, let me attempt to drop a little level-headed logic in here and calm the nerves. Everybody's all worked up and acting like the sky is falling.

My staff and I are currently in the process of trying to bring a once dominant football program back to it's days of glory, much like Richt is attempting to do at Miami. The similarities between our program (our struggles) and Miami's program (and Miami's struggles) are incredibly similar.

I'd like to use this dreadful experience that I'm (we're) going through to give you guys a more level-headed perspective on Miami.

1. CULTURE - When we arrived here the first thing we noticed was the lackluster culture. Everybody had become used to mediocrity. The former alumni (some of which have sons on the current team) were still living in the past and talking about their glory days. There's really nothing recent to boast over, much like Miami. Kids weren't being held accountable, they were often thrown under the bus by former coaches and their work ethic sucked. They weren't having fun playing football, they were simply doing it because they're from Bradenton and that's what's expected of them. Everybody here had a loser's mentality. That's all they've known. Our seniors have never seen anything better than a 5-5 record. (one season they went 1-9) THIS IS A VIRUS AND IT CAN'T BE CURED IN ONE SEASON!!! YOU HAVE TO "FILTER" YOUR PROGRAM AND WEED OUT THE LOSERS. This means we've had to do several things. We've benched kids. We've brought up younger/hungrier kids from JV. (we have tons of 10th graders on our depth chart) Those kids haven't been infected by the virus yet. We've also had to suspend kids almost every week for various reasons. (not coming to practice, bad grades, refusing to do conditioning/weights, skipping workouts, getting in trouble on campus, etc etc etc) We just booted our starting CB and starting Free Safety last week for habitual offenses and this week we had to suspend a starting O-lineman cause he got caught stealing cheeseburgers from the cafeteria. It's always something dumb with these kids. Like I said, IT'S A VIRUS.
WHEN YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT FOOTBALL, CAUSE YOU'RE USED TO LOSING, THEN YOU DON'T STAY IN LINE.

2. SCHEMES - Much like Miami, we are a pretty good defensive team (top-3 in Manatee County) and an incredibly mediocre offensive team. The defense wasn't very good recently and again, much like Miami, we came in and installed a new scheme and we've seen instant improvements. However, the offensive side of the ball is much harder to "plug-and-play". Much like Miami's fans, our locals are questioning us almost every week, win or lose. We've heard a million different theories as to why our offense sucks and all kinds of advice about what we should be doing. Here's the thing they don't realize though. Our HC/OC was Broward County Coach of the Year in 2014 and he had the #2 offense in all of South Florida (Broward + Dade). They scored more points against Flanagan High School than any other team/offense during the Devin Bush era. And this is without any D1 athletes. THE GUY KNOWS HOW TO RUN AN OFFENSE. We've seen him have big success before. Remind you of anybody? Sounds like Richt to me. New flash, THESE GUYS DIDN'T FORGET HOW TO COACH. The truth of the matter is.... (and I'm sure Richt is going through the same thing)...we can't run our whole offense with these new kids. Our WR's are unreliable. Our QB is very shaky with his reads. Our O-line is young and inconsistent. We also don't have the talent that our school is accustomed to having because they're all playing for other local teams. (sound like Miami?) Combine those things with the "virus" I spoke about in point #1 and you have a terrible and inconsistent offense that LOOKS poorly coached/coordinated on Friday nights. (much like Miami's offense)

When attempting to revamp a program you have to erase everything that has become "habit" over the years. This doesn't happen over the course of one season. Impossible.

You're installing new schemes and new concepts that your players are completely unfamiliar with. You're trying to instill a work ethic that has been missing. You're trying to instill accountability. You're trying to revamp the S&C program and create a new culture in the weight room. (much like Miami is doing) And on top of all that, you're trying to gain the trust of 50+ kids that have been let down by their coaches year after year.

You can lead them to water but you can't make them drink. And you can coach your a$$ off in the attempt to make them better players but at some point they're going to revert back to what they've been doing for the past couple years. It's a habit!

We (Miami) had a SENIOR wide receiver catch a kick out of bounds on the 2 yard line today. Seriously?!
The fact that we even have Lewis and Berrios returning kicks is a microcosm of how bad the recruiting was under the last regime. Those 2 guys have no business returning kicks. The WR and CB position are very "un-Miami" right now in terms of speed and talent. The Linebacker position is being carried by 3 true Freshman. The RB position is GOOD but not elite enough to make-up for the deficiencies at OL and WR or the inconsistencies at QB.

Did you guys really think Miami would go 10-2 this year? That's almost unheard of in a Head Coach's first year. (has it ever happened before?)
Even if Richt was the best coach walking earth, we don't even have enough talent/depth to go 10-2 right now. (and we already talked about the virus/culture)

I don't wanna compare high school ball to big-time college football but I think the situations are very similar. The analogy is accurate IMO. I kinda wanted to give you guys my/our perspective on what it's like to revamp a struggling program and the various challenges it presents.

So many great coaches have started their (new) regimes with crappy seasons.

BREATH FELLAS. Have faith. Be patient.

IT'S A PROCESS.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Macho, I respect your opinion greatly but you sound exactly the same right now as you did when you were trying to defend D'Onofrio.

Richt has changed the culture for the better, that much is clear. The players clearly buy into his message. But the scheme is a whole different ballgame.

We don't have unreliable WRs. Coley and Richards are fast, they get separation and they have good hands. Richards dropped a few today but that was in the pouring rain. Njoku is an absolute mismatch at TE.

You said Kaaya is shaky with his reads. Ok, so MAKE IT SIMPLE. Open the spread up and get him in rhythm with quick, short passes. He doesn't have to make a ton of reads and the abortion of an OL doesn't have to block for five seconds.

What Richt is doing, or trying to do, is just not working. He needs to adjust. There's no excuse for what we're seeing on the field.

I like most your posts, this one is full of excuses. Reminds me of your Dorito posts, you seem to blame players/other areas over coaches for lack of team success, perhaps because you are a coach.

Also laugh at not having enough talent to beat a mediocre FSU or UNC at home. Or score more then 19 and 13 points vs horrible defenses. This team went 8-5 last year with the most incompetent staff I've ever seen, we are headed for the same or worse. That is with returning 10 starters on O and having the D be light years ahead of where they were last year.

And yes it has happened. * went 6-7 in 2011, hired Urban and went 12-0 in 2012.

Macho, I respect your opinion greatly but you sound exactly the same right now as you did when you were trying to defend D'Onofrio.

Richt has changed the culture for the better, that much is clear. The players clearly buy into his message. But the scheme is a whole different ballgame.

We don't have unreliable WRs. Coley and Richards are fast, they get separation and they have good hands. Richards dropped a few today but that was in the pouring rain. Njoku is an absolute mismatch at TE.

You said Kaaya is shaky with his reads. Ok, so MAKE IT SIMPLE. Open the spread up and get him in rhythm with quick, short passes. He doesn't have to make a ton of reads and the abortion of an OL doesn't have to block for five seconds.

What Richt is doing, or trying to do, is just not working. He needs to adjust. There's no excuse for what we're seeing on the field.

We have done this. And we've dropped the balls. LOL

Watched it with my own eyes the last two weeks.

Berrios dropped some of those and he should not be on the field.

Give Mullins a shot.

Advertisement
I like most your posts, this one is full of excuses. Reminds me of your Dorito posts, you seem to blame players/other areas over coaches for lack of team success, perhaps because you are a coach.

Also laugh at not having enough talent to beat a mediocre FSU or UNC at home. Or score more then 19 and 13 points vs horrible defenses. This team went 8-5 last year with the most incompetent staff I've ever seen, we are headed for the same or worse. That is with returning 10 starters on O and having the D be light years ahead of where they were last year.

Excuses? How do you decipher between excuses and legitimate REASONS?

I blame coaches plenty. I blamed Golden's staff for a ton of ****. I blame high school coaches on a regular basis. However, I have trouble blaming a guy that I've seen succeed. That was the whole point of using the analogy of my HC versus Richt. (both of which are struggling right now despite success in the past)

And surely we're not expecting Richt to be Urban Meyer are we? The best coach in football? We're not expecting that from Richt. That's an anomaly.

Give Mullins a shot.

How do you know that Mullins is ready? He might not know the playbook.

See, your solution reminds me of the stuff we hear from our fans. "Just do this!"

It's never that simple dude. You're not at practice. If there was somebody more capable and they were reliable, they'd be in. (i.e. Ahmon Richards)

Give Mullins a shot.

See, your solution reminds me of the stuff we hear from our fans. "Just do this!"

It's never that simple dude. You're not at practice. If there was somebody more capable and they were reliable, they'd be in. (i.e. Ahmon Richards)

Mullins has been here two months. If he doesn't know the playbook by now, that's on him.

I blame coaches plenty. I blamed Golden's staff for a ton of ****. I blame high school coaches on a regular basis. However, I have trouble blaming a guy that I've seen succeed. That was the whole point of using the analogy of my HC versus Richt. (both of which are struggling right now despite success in the past)

And surely we're not expecting Richt to be Urban Meyer are we? The best coach in football? We're not expecting that from Richt. That's an anomaly.

Just last year you said Miami had a "real" Miami defense, you talked very highly of Doritio.

Richt was fired for a reason, he has never won the big game and has been worse the last 6-8 years. This is who Richt is, conservative and unimaginative. If you don't know that, then you haven't watched UGA at all recently.

Our offense vs Power 5 teams: 355 vs Tech, 276 vs FSU, 363 vs UNC.

Give me a legitimate reason why an offense who returned 10 starters look worse then one coached by the incompetent James Coley? Tell me why James Madison put up 500 yards on UNC and Miami had 363 and 13pts?

Advertisement

Give Mullins a shot.

Would they? Yearby is clearly the better back and Walton gets the bulk of the work.

Guys who've never done it...

Always have the answers.

I can tell you firsthand, it's never as simple as you make it sound. There's things that coaches see that you have no idea about. You guys might blurt out a solution that the coaches have already tried and you don't even know it.

I have a 6'4" 240lb Defensive End who seldom plays. I'm sure the critics think I'm (we're) dumba$$es for not putting him on the field every series.
"Look at that boy! He needs to be on the field! They got that 6'0" 185lbs DE in there instead of him! That's why they can't stop the run!"
However, they're not at practice and they don't watch film to see that the kid gives poor effort on 50% of his snaps.

Our two best RB's don't even start. Know why? They can't line-up and do the right things. They don't know the pass protections. They don't know how to read inside/outside zone. So guess what, we have to give the majority of the snaps to a kid that runs a **** 7.9 in the forty.

This crap happens on every level of football not just high school.

Will have to see the end of the year results. It had better change this year as top recruits in desperately needed position are riding on it. The OL and CBs now except Corn are all not up standards for a top division 1 program.

MR looked a little dumfounded by the game in his post game talk. “Life goes on,” Richt said. “We’ve got to get back to work.”

Last edited:

Give Mullins a shot.

Would they? Yearby is clearly the better back and Walton gets the bulk of the work.

He's not clearly the better back. Not even close. Yearby could never make some of the plays that Walton has made this year.

Advertisement

Give Mullins a shot.

Mullins has been here two months. If he doesn't know the playbook by now, that's on him.

Uh, it's always on the kids when it comes to stuff like that. LOL

That doesn't change the ultimate outcome though.

Always have the answers.

See this is just an **** response. "I'm a coach and I've done it and you guys are just message board posters".

Yes, I'm just a message board poster. But I've been watching football since I was 5 years old and been a hardcore fan since I was 10. I know what good football is and I know what bad football is.

The offense that Mark Richt puts on the field is not good football. No matter how you slice it.

Just last year you said Miami had a "real" Miami defense, you talked very highly of Doritio.

Richt was fired for a reason, he has never won the big game and has been worse the last 6-8 years. This is who Richt is, conservative and unimaginative. If you don't know that, then you haven't watched UGA at all recently.

Our offense vs Power 5 teams: 355 vs Tech, 276 vs FSU, 363 vs UNC.

Give me a legitimate reason why an offense who returned 10 starters look worse then one coached by the incompetent James Coley? Tell me why James Madison put up 500 yards on UNC and Miami had 363 and 13pts?

I said Miami played "real Miami defense" against FAMU cause I saw a ton of blitzing and man coverage. You guys have blown that statement way out of proportion on here. I simply jumped to conclusions cause I was actually hopeful that we were making a change.

I spoke highly of Dorito cause the man knows his ****. As always though, you guys forget the part where I said that I don't agree with all of his philosophies and that he may not have the ability to apply things at the right time.

Advertisement
Big difference between HS players and guys recruited to play D1 football at a Power 5 program. More then enough talent to win games.

In fact, we see what a coaching can do for a side of the ball (defense). They start 3 TR FR LBs and have limited talent in the secondary and are by far a better unit then the offense. An offense that returned 10 starters, has 2 NFL TEs, 2 NFL WRs, competent RBs, and a QB who was a 1st round pick going into the season by pretty much every draft projection.

Always have the answers.

See this is just an **** response. "I'm a coach and I've done it and you guys are just message board posters".

Yes, I'm just a message board poster. But I've been watching football since I was 5 years old and been a hardcore fan since I was 10. I know what good football is and I know what bad football is.

The offense that Mark Richt puts on the field is not good football. No matter how you slice it.

You might know what it looks like but you don't know what it takes to get there. That's my point.

It's not a d!ck response, it's a truthful response. I only say that because we have to deal with this same stuff from our fans every week. And the **** that they say is always way off base and completely clueless. Their opinions on our players is always wayyyyy off.

I'm not saying it to be condescending. It just is what it is.

Big difference between HS players and guys recruited to play D1 football at a Power 5 program. More then enough talent to win games.

In fact, we see what a coaching can do for a side of the ball (defense). They start 3 TR FR LBs and have limited talent in the secondary and are by far a better unit then the offense. An offense that returned 10 starters, has 2 NFL TEs, 2 NFL WRs, competent RBs, and a QB who was a 1st round pick going into the season by pretty much every draft projection.

It's easier to plug-and-play on defense. Way easier.

Always have the answers.

You might know what it looks like but you don't know what it takes to get there. That's my point.

It's not a d!ck response, it's a truthful response. I only say that because we have to deal with this same stuff from our fans every week. And the **** that they say is always way off base and completely clueless. Their opinions on our players is always wayyyyy off.

I'm not saying it to be condescending. It just is what it is.

Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree for now.

But would you at least admit that if the offense still looks like this at the end of the season it's a big issue?

Advertisement
Back