A different perspective...

I have coached HS ball for 20 years and I agree with what Macho is saying. And for all the people saying the play calling is crap, what would you be running? If guys are not executing, making plays when they are there then how does running a different scheme all of a sudden start making them all americans. The change that Mark has started is positive for Miami. In recruiting, in the facilities, and in the players efforts. I don't know how many posts I seen from you die hard CIS posters about how the team quit during games the last few years, I don't see that from this team. What I see is the coaches putting guys in position to make plays but right now they are not. If the players are not quitting on this staff then why are all of you?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I value Coach Macho's opinion, but when this veered into "Process," "Brick by Brick," blaming player work ethic and the inevitable "Guys who've never done it...," I'm calling Coaching-speak BS

Ever been at WAR? How about getting deployed for the first time in a relatively new military speciality right into Iraq, 2003-2004. Come from a combat-oriented speciality with one war and two expeditionary confliscts under my belt. I'm advance team, have to learn what a previous team did, then find all their shortcomings. My "team" comes in and they are (with one exception) from different commands, with different experiance levels and knowledge, mostly very young and in their first war. Some have poor attitudes, some are homesick, and everyone has different levels of fear (yes, even multiple war vets have fear). Do I go to the commander and talk about it being "a process" to get these mostly 19-24 year olds to work as a "team?" Do I tell them I have to build "brick by brick" and that I need time to change the culture? **** NO, We have a mission to do. Easier than football? Yeah sure, lots of LIVES on the line, not first downs. You cajole, you yell, you let them cry in your shoulder...In other words, you LEAD. You will be amazed how much you can get done when you work day and night to discover new talent, bring in new ideas and concepts (and people to teach them when necessary) and gain success out of adversity.

Sorry, I realize the limitations a HS program has compared to D1, but having dealt with inept HS coaches and hearing these same spiels over an over, my belief is that it's like the rest of our public school system: Overpaid and unaccountable for the results produced.

Huh? I've "been to war" and can't figure out the point you're making.

Plenty of soldiers don't perform well in combat; even the U.S. Army estimates that about 30% of soldiers don't fire their weapon in their first combat. However, often they don't survive and what you aee left with is battle tested vets who can perform, and you just get a bunch of new soldiers to repeat the process.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with the players we have. We will sink or swim with them until we get better talent. Even though our defense is playing well, do you think these players are up to normal UM standards? I watched the OSU/Wisconsin game last night and the talent both teams had on the defensive side of the ball is way better than what we have. The talent gap on the offensive side was even greater. Coaching can help offset this, but we aren't anywhere near ready to be a top ten team.

Maybe your Commander/CO didn't mind excuses...My team's role included trying to keep planes from getting shot out of the sky, so, as the cliche goes, failure was not an option.

Okay, let's take it to nice stateside America. Your the sales manager at a car dealership, a marketing lead for a speciaty retailer, an oil well fire crew foreman. Do you think your boss is going to except "brick by brick" and "It's a process" for long when you don't meet sales targets or are burning away money?

I'm tired of euphemistic "Coach Speak" especially when most of them couldn't even build a Lego set "Brick by Brick."

You get relatively well compensated for trying to make competitors (in a GAME) out of the raw material you are given. If you don't like it, find another job out here with the rest of us...Just don't try telling your boss "It's a process" too many times!

I have coached HS ball for 20 years and I agree with with Macho is saying. And for all the people saying the playing calling is crap, what would you be running? If guys are not executing, making plays with they are there then how does running a different scheme all of a sudden start making them all americans. The change that Mark has started is positive for Miami. In recruiting, in the facilities, and in the players efforts. I don't know how many posts I seen from you die hard CIS posters about how the team quit during games the last few years, I don't see that from this team. What I see is the coaches putting guys in position to make plays but right now they are not. If the players are not quitting on this staff then why are all of you?

To answer that last question, they're losers who don't know the game. Same people annointing coaches and players, not even knowing what they see with their own two eyes. See my previous post.

Advertisement
It is truly mind boggling that people fall for the same storyline over and over and over and over again.

I remember when Coker was canned and the talk was about how Randy needed to get rid of "the cokerized players and recruit Miami guys". Same thing when Golden came in...."Randy's players need to be weeded out". Now its "these kids are Goldenized"!

No motherfvckers, we need a Harbaugh level hire to turn this thing around. Bama was dead as a doornail until they were sick and tired and went out and hired a true elite coach. Same thing with Michigan. Miami is a dead program. It's ok, it happens to every program. But the way you get out of it is by going all in on an elite guy, not a "good" coach who was just fired from another P5 school. Mark Richt is not a good enough coach to pull us out. Sorry he just isn't. He's not going to do it with Xs and Os, and hes certainly not recruiting well enough to make up for it. It is what it is. One day, I pray the morons running this school figure it out.

Everyone says we have the talent. When have we seen the talent in any big time games? Coley, Corn, a TE or two. We have talent for mediocre games, not big time games. I have see more drops this year than I can even remember all of last year. Most of the drops there is no excuse. Rain..... I don't care if it is raining, that's your one job is to catch the ball. Most of the drops we have seen had nothing to do with weather. It's like they gave up on the ball.

I'm with the OP, this isn't a Lamborghini that all Richt had to do was shine up, it is a broken down hoopty that needs complete rebuilding.

Exactly this.

Players have to go out and make plays. 2nd weak in a row Coley was locked down. Now sure some of these guys are NFL caliber players but on this board ppl act like these guys are top 5 picks and the best at their position.

I watched Williams from Clemson in the game before go out and make insane catches with defenders all over him. When guys are making plays coaches and QBs look better and smarter.

Greg McElroy said something interesting yesterday. He said he thought Gene Chizik is a better defensive coach than Nick Saban. When the broadcast guy challenged him on it, he rebuted him saying "Not everyone has Nick Saban's players."

Now obviously Nick Saban is a great coach but finding the right players with the right DNA is more important that just having a great scheme.

Clemson and Ohio State don't have some great scheme. They run jet sweeps, bubble screens, options and verts. That isn't rocket science they just have playmakers who win a good amount of their 1v1s.

Does James Madison or Illinois have better players than we do? Because they scored more against UNC's horrible defense than we did.

If you count all the dropped passes and the misses chances to extend a drive. During their game against UNC their players may have been better.

Why do I always have to be patient? Why can't I expect my new coach to beat the **** out of an average UNC team at home? **** this process bull****. We play in a **** division. WIN NOW

Advertisement
******* terrible post OP. Almost ANY coach worth a **** can come in YEAR 1 and change culture/create schematic advantage/coach to your players strength at a Major D 1 program. (especially on his side of the ball) We aren't seeing ANY OF THAT!

This isn't High School Macho, but good job/good effort.

Guys who've never done it...

Always have the answers.

I can tell you firsthand, it's never as simple as you make it sound. There's things that coaches see that you have no idea about. You guys might blurt out a solution that the coaches have already tried and you don't even know it.

I have a 6'4" 240lb Defensive End who seldom plays. I'm sure the critics think I'm (we're) dumba$$es for not putting him on the field every series.
"Look at that boy! He needs to be on the field! They got that 6'0" 185lbs DE in there instead of him! That's why they can't stop the run!"
However, they're not at practice and they don't watch film to see that the kid gives poor effort on 50% of his snaps.

Our two best RB's don't even start. Know why? They can't line-up and do the right things. They don't know the pass protections. They don't know how to read inside/outside zone. So guess what, we have to give the majority of the snaps to a kid that runs a **** 7.9 in the forty.

This crap happens on every level of football not just high school.

Quit comparing coaching high school ball with major D 1 ball.....it makes you look stupid.

I have coached HS ball for 20 years and I agree with what Macho is saying. And for all the people saying the play calling is crap, what would you be running? If guys are not executing, making plays when they are there then how does running a different scheme all of a sudden start making them all americans. The change that Mark has started is positive for Miami. In recruiting, in the facilities, and in the players efforts. I don't know how many posts I seen from you die hard CIS posters about how the team quit during games the last few years, I don't see that from this team. What I see is the coaches putting guys in position to make plays but right now they are not. If the players are not quitting on this staff then why are all of you?

Thanks for your insight. We always welcome the high school coaches who post here. Its these exact same insights that help the discussion (and the healing from some of these losses. lol)

As for your question about what we should be running, Im of the opinion that we should run a true pro-set offense; QB under center, 2 backs and lots of tight end utilization. We have two elite TE's who we use almost exclusively as wide receivers. We have statue of a QB who refuses to leave the pocket. We have a subpar O line. As well, we have a fullback who is a **** good lead blocker. Our current personnel screams for an offense like this.

Advertisement
A pro set offense doesn't fit BK. It requires him to him to dropback, have good pocket movement, neither of which he's good at. He needs 3 to 4 wide WR/TE so that he can see where blitzes are coming from and the OL (not that good) can hopefully block even numbers. Quick hits, almost similar to what UNC does. Backs coming out of the backfield. Even then, his lack of mobility can hurt at times, but that's the best you can do with his skill set and the OL in front of him.

Everyone says we have the talent. When have we seen the talent in any big time games? Coley, Corn, a TE or two. We have talent for mediocre games, not big time games. I have see more drops this year than I can even remember all of last year. Most of the drops there is no excuse. Rain..... I don't care if it is raining, that's your one job is to catch the ball. Most of the drops we have seen had nothing to do with weather. It's like they gave up on the ball.

I'm with the OP, this isn't a Lamborghini that all Richt had to do was shine up, it is a broken down hoopty that needs complete rebuilding.

Exactly this.

Players have to go out and make plays. 2nd weak in a row Coley was locked down. Now sure some of these guys are NFL caliber players but on this board ppl act like these guys are top 5 picks and the best at their position.

I watched Williams from Clemson in the game before go out and make insane catches with defenders all over him. When guys are making plays coaches and QBs look better and smarter.

Greg McElroy said something interesting yesterday. He said he thought Gene Chizik is a better defensive coach than Nick Saban. When the broadcast guy challenged him on it, he rebuted him saying "Not everyone has Nick Saban's players."

Now obviously Nick Saban is a great coach but finding the right players with the right DNA is more important that just having a great scheme.

Clemson and Ohio State don't have some great scheme. They run jet sweeps, bubble screens, options and verts. That isn't rocket science they just have playmakers who win a good amount of their 1v1s.

Does James Madison or Illinois have better players than we do? Because they scored more against UNC's horrible defense than we did.

If you count all the dropped passes and the misses chances to extend a drive. During their game against UNC their players may have been better.

You may be on to something. Maybe those other teams coaches focused on catching the ball more in practice, because it sure as **** looks like we don't . We have to lead FBS is dropped passes

Always have the answers.

I can tell you firsthand, it's never as simple as you make it sound. There's things that coaches see that you have no idea about. You guys might blurt out a solution that the coaches have already tried and you don't even know it.

I have a 6'4" 240lb Defensive End who seldom plays. I'm sure the critics think I'm (we're) dumba$$es for not putting him on the field every series.
"Look at that boy! He needs to be on the field! They got that 6'0" 185lbs DE in there instead of him! That's why they can't stop the run!"
However, they're not at practice and they don't watch film to see that the kid gives poor effort on 50% of his snaps.

Our two best RB's don't even start. Know why? They can't line-up and do the right things. They don't know the pass protections. They don't know how to read inside/outside zone. So guess what, we have to give the majority of the snaps to a kid that runs a **** 7.9 in the forty.

Quit comparing coaching high school ball with major D 1 ball.....it makes you look stupid.

Quit following me around and negging all of my posts. It makes you look like a d!ck rider.

Advertisement
Lol Southeast........

We use to run a train on y'all every spring game until you guys decided to go elsewhere

OP made a similar thread where he said Dorito a defensive genius or something to that effect.

How this had made it to 4 pages is beyond me.

I like most your posts, this one is full of excuses. Reminds me of your Dorito posts, you seem to blame players/other areas over coaches for lack of team success, perhaps because you are a coach.

Also laugh at not having enough talent to beat a mediocre FSU or UNC at home. Or score more then 19 and 13 points vs horrible defenses. This team went 8-5 last year with the most incompetent staff I've ever seen, we are headed for the same or worse. That is with returning 10 starters on O and having the D be light years ahead of where they were last year.

And yes it has happened. * went 6-7 in 2011, hired Urban and went 12-0 in 2012.

Excuses? How do you decipher between excuses and legitimate REASONS?

I blame coaches plenty. I blamed Golden's staff for a ton of ****. I blame high school coaches on a regular basis. However, I have trouble blaming a guy that I've seen succeed. That was the whole point of using the analogy of my HC versus Richt. (both of which are struggling right now despite success in the past)

And surely we're not expecting Richt to be Urban Meyer are we? The best coach in football? We're not expecting that from Richt. That's an anomaly.

Just last year you said Miami had a "real" Miami defense, you talked very highly of Doritio.

Richt was fired for a reason, he has never won the big game and has been worse the last 6-8 years. This is who Richt is, conservative and unimaginative. If you don't know that, then you haven't watched UGA at all recently.

Our offense vs Power 5 teams: 355 vs Tech, 276 vs FSU, 363 vs UNC.

Give me a legitimate reason why an offense who returned 10 starters look worse then one coached by the incompetent James Coley? Tell me why James Madison put up 500 yards on UNC and Miami had 363 and 13pts?

We have a winner for the best question of the day.

Always have the answers.

Quit following me around and negging all of my posts. It makes you look like a d!ck rider.

I can't help with all the ****** you've put in this thread. You are ******* helpless. You aren't the only poster that's ever coached the game of football stud. There are plenty on here that have and you comparing your **** HS squad with major D 1 culture, commitment, etc. is just plain asinine. You're comparing apples & oranges and I just couldn't help but call out the stupid.

Advertisement
Back