9/23 - Barry Jackson Miami Quick Hits

Advertisement
Olsen was proclaimed the next great one before stepping on campus. Are we surprised a frosh let it get to his head. Story of our fan base and trying to hold onto the NFL U moniker.

I know this isnt a popular sentiment among some posters here but I think it will be a bad sign if Williams is the starter next year. I think he SEVERELY limits the offense.

Like it did when Steve Walsh and Ken Dorsey started here and we won NCs? Sometimes, you cats get too enamored with arm strength and don't pay enough attention to QB'ing skills.

Don't remember, did M. Lewis receive a medical redshirt last year?

he cna apply for one after his senior year or something if he needs it

How many games did Malcolm appear in last year? If it's 30% or less of our total games, then he'd clearly be eligible for a RS last year. And if he was eligible last year, then that explains why they didn't try to RS him this year because he wouldn't get one for this year and last year.

Advertisement
I know this isnt a popular sentiment among some posters here but I think it will be a bad sign if Williams is the starter next year. I think he SEVERELY limits the offense.

so how "bad" of a sign will it be..... regular bad or real bad?

well it would mean that we aint winning **** next year and that Olsen may not be as good as many on here think

So nice having James Coley posting on this board. Certainly discouraging that a coach like you who sees Ryan Williams every day feels this way.

Jermaine Grace is gonna be special. Put him with the LB class of Owens, Young and Smith...Lights out.

How many games did Malcolm appear in last year? If it's 30% or less of our total games, then he'd clearly be eligible for a RS last year. And if he was eligible last year, then that explains why they didn't try to RS him this year because he wouldn't get one for this year and last year.

He played in 4 games last season. In calculating the number of games you are allowed to play in, you take 30% of the number of regular season games and round any fractional part up. Hence, this would be .30 X 12 = 3.6 and, when rounded up, this would be 4 games. All 4 games were in the 1st half of the season. There is definitely medical documentation of the injury (or there should be). So the granting of the medical redshirt is a slam dunk if and when he decides to apply to the ACC for one.

Golden, in one of his interviews on radio when asked why Lewis was listed as a soph, said that Lewis never applied for a waiver. My guess as to why he never applied is that he plans to be gone after 4 years. He can apply at any time for a medical waiver.

Golden has a master's in sports psychology. He knows when it's time to mind**** his players.

Advertisement

Like it did when Steve Walsh and Ken Dorsey started here and we won NCs? Sometimes, you cats get too enamored with arm strength and don't pay enough attention to QB'ing skills.

All I know is, the Ryan Williams I saw last year is not the same dude I've seen in games this year. That is a great thing. Golden is developing players across the board, and if he thinks RW can run the ship in 2014, why would anybody panic about it? The best man will win the job.

It's great knowing there's competition at all positions including QB cause I know Williams is gonna wanna start, Olsen wants to be the man and not mention we're bringing in a hot shot from cali who is saying all the right things and will make the guys remember they could easily lose the job if they aren't giving it all

I'm happy with whoever wins the starting job in camp. The staff will obviously feel at that time that they are the right one to lead the program, so I can't argue that.

I'm not saying Williams should start but I do think he gets a unnecessarily bad rap on these boards. He doesn't have all the tools morris does but in his limited action he hasnt been terrible at all, although he did miss some key throws (People tend to forget that Maryland game two years ago with Morris). If Olsen earns it then great, if Williams does, then Olsen better use the extra year to get his game fine tuned because Kaya is coming for that starting job.

Advertisement

He played in 4 games last season. In calculating the number of games you are allowed to play in, you take 30% of the number of regular season games and round any fractional part up. Hence, this would be .30 X 12 = 3.6 and, when rounded up, this would be 4 games. All 4 games were in the 1st half of the season. There is definitely medical documentation of the injury (or there should be). So the granting of the medical redshirt is a slam dunk if and when he decides to apply to the ACC for one.

Golden, in one of his interviews on radio when asked why Lewis was listed as a soph, said that Lewis never applied for a waiver. My guess as to why he never applied is that he plans to be gone after 4 years. He can apply at any time for a medical waiver.

Thank you, sir. I knew the calculation formula. I just didn't know how many games he appeared in. Lewis is basically a RS Freshmans right now, so he'll have plenty of time to heal up and be the star he was supposed to be before that gruesome injury.

If you believe this ****....

Miami freshman WR Malcolm Lewis was granted a medical redshirt for the 2012 season after dislocating his ankle in September.
Prior tot he injury, Lewis had eight catches for 73 yards on the season. We believe this means he still has four years of eligibility remaining, starting in 2013, and is one to watch due to plenty of talent.
Thu, Nov 8, 2012 10:54:00 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131682/malcolm-lewis
https://twitter.com/smillerdegnan/status/266215013977559041

But on the school website....He is a sophomore

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205558457

------------------------------------

None of this matters unless you want to discuss the 2016 season WR Depth Chart.

Advertisement
I can't say enough how much I love last years recruiting classes attitude. I really hope Golden pushes their development because some of these kids can become 1st round picks if they are developed properly.

Golden was stating to Olsen a fact of life.

We think when no one is present but us, that no one is watching. No one will notice. I can sit down and no one will notice, I can catch a nap and no one will notice, I can slack off - and no one will notice.

The thing is - someone is always watching. They'll see the progress or production you're putting out. Others will walk by and see what you're doing. Others will talk, as they can see what you're doing.

Olsen isn't putting in the extra time on his own. I'm sure he works hard during practices - but he's bitten with the curse of youth - I wanna do what I wanna do. Even if he has to talk some linemen to go out and catch the ball - he's NOT putting in the extra effort.

And Golden knows. Thus, the public call-out.

Golden was stating to Olsen a fact of life.

We think when no one is present but us, that no one is watching. No one will notice. I can sit down and no one will notice, I can catch a nap and no one will notice, I can slack off - and no one will notice.

The thing is - someone is always watching. They'll see the progress or production you're putting out. Others will walk by and see what you're doing. Others will talk, as they can see what you're doing.

Olsen isn't putting in the extra time on his own. I'm sure he works hard during practices - but he's bitten with the curse of youth - I wanna do what I wanna do. Even if he has to talk some linemen to go out and catch the ball - he's NOT putting in the extra effort.

And Golden knows. Thus, the public call-out.

Love that Golden is pushing him to be better even if he's redshirting. That's how the program grows. Even the scout teamers are held to high standards.

Advertisement
Back