9/23 - Barry Jackson Miami Quick Hits

I'll say it again: We should have redshirted Malcolm Lewis this year. Not doing so is Blowing it IMO.

WE could have used the walkon kid, Kidd to add depth this year.

Malcolm will end up not contributing much this season and we'll lose a year of eligibility for him. I'd much rather have him fresh and ready next season than 80%-ish this year.

Advertisement
Keep working young Olsen!

Olsen is a smart kid, has a top flight brother in the league, and he's a coaches son right? He knows the preparation, and routing from his family. I just wonder how much did missing his senior season cost him.

I'll say it again: We should have redshirted Malcolm Lewis this year. Not doing so is Blowing it IMO.

Malcolm will end up not contributing much this season and we'll lose a year of eligibility for him. I'd much rather have him fresh and ready next season than 80%-ish this year.

We are not that deep at WR and will need Malcolm as the season progresses. He got hurt in our fourth game last year so he can always apply for an extra year if desired.

The roster lists Lewis as a Soph, but I've seen several links to newspaper articles that said he received a medical redshirt for last year.

Does anyone know for 100% certain what his eligibility status is?

My understanding is this: Malcolm must apply for it when he needs it. For instance, he may not feel that he need to apply for a 5th year if he wants to graduate and move on (or he feels that he can be drafted in his Sr. year).

Last edited:
Advertisement
My understanding is this: Malcolm must apply for it when he needs it. For instance, he may not feel that he need to apply for a 5th year if he wants to graduate and move on (or he feels that he can be drafted in his Sr. year).

Like I said, there are several newspaper reports that say Golden confirmed that Malcolm was granted a medical redshirt for 2012. Those reports are dated Nov. 2012, which in itself is odd to me. I thought those things were applied for and granted after the season ended. So, basically, I'm confused.

Al was all nice and supportive the first two years trying to work with what he got, now these are his guys and he is getting a little more demanding. He has proven his system works and that he will cut you off if your leg in not on board the train. He clearly does not intend to start young players if he can help it. Freshmen can get reps but the day on walking on campus and dropping your helmet on the field is over.

I will not be surprised to see Williams start next year. He look a lot like many of our NC QBs Saturday. Williams to Sandland had a very familiar feel to it. Morris better take note of that, because we have never won an NC without that sort of QB TE combo. Morris is my boy from Pace but I want that TE action. It rips the heart out of defenses struggling to cover all our WRs to have come up and get bashed by big body TE after a 15 yard gain. We have a shot at NC this year. A better one next year and one **** of a shot the year after. Al will play the QB that gives us the best shot each year. If Olsen has to work hard this year, do you really think Kaaya is walking in here next year and starting? Smell the new day. I love that kid but he is looking at a couple years getting ready. Al has a plan and it is all about HIM having options.

Meanwhile up in the swamp, who is the QB? Where is their depth? Didn't Muschump steal a QB from Al that first year? Maybe one of the 300 DTs they have can play QB, or Oline, or WR. Al has developed balanced depth across the team in three years. Chump has developed a dline at the expense of the rest of the team. When those monsters from our 2014 class show up, Al will even have a better dline than Chump and picking between a senior, third year man, redshirt top recruit, and hot as fire young gun at QB. Chump will has running QB with two damaged legs and some freshman trying to pass out of a running offense. WHO GOT THE BEST COACH three years ago?

I know this isnt a popular sentiment among some posters here but I think it will be a bad sign if Williams is the starter next year. I think he SEVERELY limits the offense.

so how "bad" of a sign will it be..... regular bad or real bad?

well it would mean that we aint winning **** next year and that Olsen may not be as good as many on here think

Al was all nice and supportive the first two years trying to work with what he got, now these are his guys and he is getting a little more demanding. He has proven his system works and that he will cut you off if your leg in not on board the train. He clearly does not intend to start young players if he can help it. Freshmen can get reps but the day on walking on campus and dropping your helmet on the field is over.

I will not be surprised to see Williams start next year. He look a lot like many of our NC QBs Saturday. Williams to Sandland had a very familiar feel to it. Morris better take note of that, because we have never won an NC without that sort of QB TE combo. Morris is my boy from Pace but I want that TE action. It rips the heart out of defenses struggling to cover all our WRs to have come up and get bashed by big body TE after a 15 yard gain. We have a shot at NC this year. A better one next year and one **** of a shot the year after. Al will play the QB that gives us the best shot each year. If Olsen has to work hard this year, do you really think Kaaya is walking in here next year and starting? Smell the new day. I love that kid but he is looking at a couple years getting ready. Al has a plan and it is all about HIM having options.

Meanwhile up in the swamp, who is the QB? Where is their depth? Didn't Muschump steal a QB from Al that first year? Maybe one of the 300 DTs they have can play QB, or Oline, or WR. Al has developed balanced depth across the team in three years. Chump has developed a dline at the expense of the rest of the team. When those monsters from our 2014 class show up, Al will even have a better dline than Chump and picking between a senior, third year man, redshirt top recruit, and hot as fire young gun at QB. Chump will has running QB with two damaged legs and some freshman trying to pass out of a running offense. WHO GOT THE BEST COACH three years ago?

I could not agree more with your comments about the TE as a weapon. It's critical we get that going in our pro style offense.

I disagree completely that everything is balanced on our our DL. We are losing Porter and Renfrow after this year, and need replacements stat. We could really use some of those DT recruits we lost for depth, such as Bostwick.

Advertisement
I know this isnt a popular sentiment among some posters here but I think it will be a bad sign if Williams is the starter next year. I think he SEVERELY limits the offense.

so how "bad" of a sign will it be..... regular bad or real bad?

well it would mean that we aint winning **** next year and that Olsen may not be as good as many on here think

wow you stupid

Maybe I'm just over-thinking this, but what if Olsen was actually practicing really, really well and Golden is just trying to keep him humble?

Advertisement

According to Al, the depth is deadly thin. I think he would have done the redshirt if we weren't so thin. He obviously does not count Kidd among the kids he can count on.

We had to shorten the offense in '87 for Steve Walsh and we still won a NC. You're right. If we have to do it for Williams, it could still work very well.

According to Al, the depth is deadly thin. I think he would have done the redshirt if we weren't so thin. He obviously does not count Kidd among the kids he can count on.

Agree depth is a major issue but

I think they arent concerned w/ "redshirting" Malcolm Lewis b/c he always can apply for a 5th year at the end of his Senior year anyway b/c of last season.

Advertisement

Like I said, there are several newspaper reports that say Golden confirmed that Malcolm was granted a medical redshirt for 2012. Those reports are dated Nov. 2012, which in itself is odd to me. I thought those things were applied for and granted after the season ended. So, basically, I'm confused.

Yes, he applied for it and was granted a hardship for his Fr. year... When I said he must apply for it, I meant to say that he must request for it to be used. This is why he is listed as a So. instead.

After his Sr. year (4th year), he can decide to use it, play football and work on his Masters or he could decide to graduate, move on and hope to be drafted in the NFL draft.

Last edited:
They have a week hold on for the GT game. Options are for a noon start on one of the ESPN channels (probably ESPN), 3:30 on ABC, or possibly 8:00 on ABC.

Obviously we want GT to win for the latter two options.

The Dolphins play @ 1 on Sunday. I doubt that it will be a night game.

Advertisement
Back