9/23 - Barry Jackson Miami Quick Hits

CaneBoss

Bossman
I think this Olsen stuff further solidifies Ryan Williams as next year's starter, barring some type of drastic turnaround. Can't wait to see Beau and Burns gradually get more playing time - I can definitely see those two guys helping us out big time when we arrive at the meat of our schedule.

Some quick Canes hits (Please see below for 1:30 p.m. updates with Heat and Dolphins notes):

### UM said Stephen Morris threw during UM’s light practice today -- he wasn't a full participant in practiced -- and Al Golden indicated he expects him to play Saturday against USF.

“He looks good,” Golden said, noting this is not as serious as the ankle issue that forced him to miss the end of last year’s North Carolina game. (Morris was able to start the next week.)

### The perception of Ryan Williams around the program has improved. Golden noted that he has improved by changing his mechanics and using his feet more to escape pressure. “He doesn’t have an arm [as strong as] Stephen’s, but that doesn’t preclude him from being a very good quarterback,” Golden said.

### People who have watched UM’s closed practices during training camp have said they’re impressed with how freshman quarterback Kevin Olsen threw the ball. But in some pointed remarks, Golden made clear Monday he expects more. A lot more.

“He has to improve the mental aspects,” Golden said. “He hasn't owned the process. He can't waste this year. He's got to get better. When we're not throwing, he's got to be throwing anyway... [and] watch how Steve and Ryan conduct themselves....”

In other words, don’t get too comfortable, kid, and think you don't have to work harder at this. Golden sent the message he clearly expects more. (Susan Miller Degnan will have more of Golden's comments on Olsen and the quarterbacks in a story to be posted later.)

### Malcolm Lewis, who has essentially fallen to sixth on UM’s receiver depth chart before Rashawn Scott was injured late in the opener, is close to the player he was before his gruesome ankle injury against Georgia Tech last season, Golden said.

“Is he 100? No,” Golden said. “Will he be this year? I don’t know yet. He was playing faster.”

### Defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio smiled when noting that freshman linebacker Jermaine Grace not only thanked him after Saturday’s blowout win for putting him in the game but also reminded him that he had six tackles.

### Artie Burns wasn’t able to seize a starting cornerback job (he was listed as a possible starter last week, but not on Sunday’s depth chart), and that’s not a surprise because he’s got quality older players ahead of him. But Burns remains firmly entrenched among UM's top four corners and coaches love the upside.

"He played over 30 plays and graded out pretty well," Golden said. "We have to get more production from him in pass breakups and tackles, things of that nature.”

### UM is pleased with tight end Beau Sandland’s emergence.

“He's gifted athletically, he has loose hips, soft hands,” Golden said. “The things we didn't know was how good he'd be with run after catch.”

### Game time for the Oct. 5 home game against Georgia Tech will be decided next Sunday.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2013/09/monday-afternoon-um-quick-hits.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
I dont think a 3;30 start will happen.. if Gt wins Thursday night at VT..you will have two 4-0 teams
look for a 7:45 espn 2 game....

Advertisement
Olsen needs to stop reading the message boards calling him Baby Jesus and start working.

I dont think a 3;30 start will happen.. if Gt wins Thursday night at VT..you will have two 4-0 teams
yea if they win on Thursday it will be a huge game. Pretty much decides the Coastal.

We aren't in the SEC. The night game will be something like Kentucky and Missouri because everyone loves the SEC :mmkay:

sounds like Brad Kaaya is going to cause some problems for Kevin Olsen if he doesnt tighten up...... i think he will though.

Advertisement
sounds like Brad Kaaya is going to cause some problems for Kevin Olsen if he doesnt tighten up...... i think he will though.

go watch Keeya's highlights then Olsens....Baby jesus will be fine...AL IS A PERFECTIONIST HENCE THE KIDS GONE FROM HERE and others being dropped in the roster...

He expects better things...olsen will deliver

I know this isnt a popular sentiment among some posters here but I think it will be a bad sign if Williams is the starter next year. I think he SEVERELY limits the offense.

Advertisement
Golden is so critical of Olsen, because he knows the kid is the future of this program....not Ryan Williams. He wants to make sure he meets his full potential.

i wonder if brad kaaya reads barry's column? as others have pointed out it is probably golden just using motivational techniques.

I know this isnt a popular sentiment among some posters here but I think it will be a bad sign if Williams is the starter next year. I think he SEVERELY limits the offense.

so how "bad" of a sign will it be..... regular bad or real bad?

Advertisement

go watch Keeya's highlights then Olsens....Baby jesus will be fine...AL IS A PERFECTIONIST HENCE THE KIDS GONE FROM HERE and others being dropped in the roster...

He expects better things...olsen will deliver

I know Al Golden is just pushing everybody in different ways..... Kevin Olsen will have his opportunity, i just dont think it will be next year unless Ryan Williams tanks or gets injured.

Before going overboard re: Olsen, listen to the tone from Golden here: http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/56581-Practice-Interviews-9-23-13

IMO, it was not as harsh a critique of Olsen hearing it from Golden, than what I personally perceived reading through the comments, etc.

Right, it's the critique of a FRESHMAN QB. If he was talking about maybe a Sophomore then maybe it'd be cause for concern but the kid is still learning what it means to be a college player! Just like he said Kamulu and a couple other players didn't get burn in the U*** game because he felt they weren't ready yet!! Gotta give them time to transition and grow a little fellas!

They have a week hold on for the GT game. Options are for a noon start on one of the ESPN channels (probably ESPN), 3:30 on ABC, or possibly 8:00 on ABC.

Obviously we want GT to win for the latter two options.

Advertisement
Back