8th signee is Zion Nelson

I thought I was on the Miami Ohio board for a minute.

LOL at UM being in such a panicked state that we just signed a 240 pound OL that we had to steal from App State. Alabaga gets our 5 star legacy; we get a possession WR at OL.
More moron talk from this goofball. Dude has never been the same since he spent a few months chasing Dan Sileo Jr for recruiting info.

Advertisement
More moron talk from this goofball. Dude has never been the same since he spent a few months chasing Dan Sileo Jr for recruiting info.

In all fairness to chise, I think even the coaches are surprised at Nelson's transformation. Heck, Enos even said as much. And lol at nitpicking at one comment of Chise. How about all of the other countless times he's been accurate/prescient?

To be fair, if Nelson works out it’s good luck. Searels was desperate.

He reached. And it seems he hit. It was fair to be skeptical. It’s not like flipping low G5 committs is the formula. Just hope it works out and recruit better at OL.

O linemen seem the hardest to predict to the next level.

Sure, on average, you want the highest rated ones you can get.

But plenty of 4 stars never develop like they should, and then you get the occasional Zion.

There may be something to getting big, but not necessarily heavy, kids at T that are athletic and have good mobility, and then building them up from there.

Still, for the most part, you want consensus high rated guys as much as you can get them. While keeping an open mind for the Zion types, as one or two of, in every class.

I want to believe man I really do.
But Idk if some on here are just wanting to believe.
What we’re hoping that this young man does is a near impossibility. To start at left tackle as a freshman at a major p5 program has been done at a very very low rate. So low that the only logical conclusion is that this position is scary thin and of poor talent. So while he may start it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be very good.
It also possible that everyone just whiffed and we got **** lucky.
Mitch Hyatt started as a true freshman at Clemson left tackle. The first frosh to start at left tackle at that school since 1944!!!! He came in at 6’5” 270 and he was a **** stud. Maybe this dude is the goods.
But I’ll temper my expectations. At the very least he’s gettting some of the best experience at left tackle. Only a few schools can match what he’s seeing at practice on a daily basis.
I know what we’ve heard and what the coaches have said. But spring camp is just that.
Last year’s spring made me numb.

Advertisement
I want to believe man I really do.
But Idk if some on here are just wanting to believe.
What we’re hoping that this young man does is a near impossibility. To start at left tackle as a freshman at a major p5 program has been done at a very very low rate. So low that the only logical conclusion is that this position is scary thin and of poor talent. So while he may start it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be very good.
It also possible that everyone just whiffed and we got **** lucky.
Mitch Hyatt started as a true freshman at Clemson left tackle. The first frosh to start at left tackle at that school since 1944!!!! He came in at 6’5” 270 and he was a **** stud. Maybe this dude is the goods.
But I’ll temper my expectations. At the very least he’s gettting some of the best experience at left tackle. Only a few schools can match what he’s seeing at practice on a daily basis.
I know what we’ve heard and what the coaches have said. But spring camp is just that.
Last year’s spring made me numb.

Freshmen start along the OL at major programs every year. You're exaggerating how rare it is.

Advertisement
Definitely not the norm. I honestly don't expect Zion to end up our regularly starting LT this year. I expect him to be the swing tackle.
I get that but dudes on here are penciling this dude in at LT and expecting him to ball. Just trying to temper expectations.

Can we wait to crown this guy until we actually see him in a game?

I'm going to have to agree , even with all my hoopla I've said myself in placing the crown the D-LINE play in this gayturds game will be like no other for him to experience ( cheap shots of all kinds imaginable , nasty play ) let alone the fierce hitting like no other he's ever felt even with our own D-LINE this will be a WTF WOW moment for him so yes crimson_ cane true.
So some early PT would be wise , by hey Zion may be ready in coaches eyes to be baptized by fire, but good post here.

GOCANES

I get that but dudes on here are penciling this dude in at LT and expecting him to ball. Just trying to temper expectations.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread do that. People are appreciating a freshman looking promising and like he will be a contributor. Nobody in this thread has penciled him into a starting role or "crowned" him.

I wonder if Nelson will have a better career than Neal.
One will pack on weight and fight to keep it on the other will spend his career fighting to keep off the weight. Good thread!

Good reading a smart post and good anology, the people complaining about neal not coming here, who cares, Zion in my opinion back than had already seemed more athletic to me. Im glad we got a guy like nelson, had a True Cane mindset from the start, came in ready ro prove he belongs and has the work ethic to match, and now like rosseau, is in the running to see alot of playing time or even be a starter. The route coach richt took with the o-line prospects was brilliant last class, because he wasnt going to get into a bidding/bag dropping war with primarily the security & exchange commission conference with bag dropping! So going this route was even better!

Advertisement
Can we wait to crown this guy until we actually see him in a game?

I don’t know if anybody’s crowning him, I am not. But if he gets even some burn this year that’s gonna be a win.

Because I wouldn’t have expected him to get any playing time this year. When I heard about the signing, I thought this guy is a red shirt for sure, to put on weight and bulk, he may be ready in a year or two.

I think that’s the part that most people are finding amazing, is that he could be at least in somewhat of a rotation this year. That’s unusual.

I don’t know if anybody’s crowning him, I am not. But if he gets even some burn this year that’s gonna be a win.

Because I wouldn’t have expected him to get any playing time this year. When I heard about the signing, I thought this guy is a red shirt for sure, to put on weight and bulk, he may be ready in a year or two.

I think that’s the part that most people are finding amazing, is that he could be at least in somewhat of a rotation this year. That’s unusual.

But if the oline was where it should be, wouldn't he be a redshirt?

Advertisement
But if the oline was where it should be, wouldn't he be a redshirt?

Don't know. I mean people are talking pretty highly about him, and he has put on supposedly some really good weight. He just could be one of those diamonds in the rough even if we had a good O line. But I don’t know how to answer that question because who knows.

Lol the excuse makers out in force. Most had him never taking a meaningful snap here but now the goal posts have changed to him starting LT as a true FR. Even if he doesn't, what he's done in a very short amount of time is very impressive, he's clearly a great take for us and a very promising prospect.

You all just need to admit you were wrong about him. It'll be ok.

If anything this just proves that sometimes getting a underrated G5 prospect into a Mid to upper Tier P5 program will actually do wonders. Proves that just because a kid plays for a G5 program doesnt mean he isnt good enough to play for a P5 program.

I mean look at Osburn who might be arguably the best WR on the roster who last year this time was playing for Buffalo......BUFFALO!!!!!

To be fair, if Nelson works out it’s good luck. Searels was desperate.

He reached. And it seems he hit. It was fair to be skeptical. It’s not like flipping low G5 committs is the formula. Just hope it works out and recruit better at OL.

Simple as that ...

Advertisement
Back