8th signee is Zion Nelson

Advertisement
The good thing is most of that is good weight as im sure the moment he showed up on campus theyve been having him on a big time meal plan

Advertisement
Easier to add food weight than lose and keep off bad weight. Would be nice to get some game ready guys though. Can’t survive off of projects.

The problem is a guy coming in at 240 lbs has MINIMUM of 2 years of sitting before he's hopefully ready in year 3. Now, for OLine, that really isn't a big deal. But you 100% can't do that for all your Oline recruits, and ESPECIALLY not when you need IMMEDIATE help on the OLine. Thats the big problem, is we need guys that can play by their 2nd yr. I guess our only real hope is hitting up the transfer portal for a few yrs at the OLine spot, and hope guys like these develop after a few years.

If we sign 4 OLineman per year, and 1-2 are like this kid, but the other two were elite and ready to play day 1, I'd be happy. But when a 240lb player is like the only one you sign, thats not good.

Advertisement
The problem is a guy coming in at 240 lbs has MINIMUM of 2 years of sitting before he's hopefully ready in year 3. Now, for OLine, that really isn't a big deal. But you 100% can't do that for all your Oline recruits, and ESPECIALLY not when you need IMMEDIATE help on the OLine. Thats the big problem, is we need guys that can play by their 2nd yr. I guess our only real hope is hitting up the transfer portal for a few yrs at the OLine spot, and hope guys like these develop after a few years.

If we sign 4 OLineman per year, and 1-2 are like this kid, but the other two were elite and ready to play day 1, I'd be happy. But when a 240lb player is like the only one you sign, thats not good.

Why does he have to sit a minimum of two years? Kid has been on campus for two months and has already put on 25 quality pounds.

By Spring practice of 2020 he should easily be at his desired playing weight.

Not if he’s already 263... he’s on pace for 300 by this time next year.

Advertisement
I thought I was on the Miami Ohio board for a minute.

LOL at UM being in such a panicked state that we just signed a 240 pound OL that we had to steal from App State. Alabaga gets our 5 star legacy; we get a possession WR at OL.

We'll see in a season or two who proves to be right...

Not if he’s already 263... he’s on pace for 300 by this time next year.
Not just about weight dude. Also about strength. You think this dude who entered at 240lbs is gunna gain 50lbs and a **** load of muscle and be completely right technically to be useful in 2 yrs? No. Sorry, but yall are ******* trippin.

Advertisement
Um yea...have you ever lifted weights before?
Dude it takes most olineman a few years to be ready to play, and you think this kid is going to be ready in 2 yrs? Come on, actually think through what you're saying.

The problem with him, is we need ELITE OLINEMAN NOW. We need to land guys like Evan Neal who have frosh all american potential. Thats what we need. Getting a bunch of guys like this is a bad plan unless you're also adding elite players or grad transfers who will start day 1.

Not just about weight dude. Also about strength. You think this dude who entered at 240lbs is gunna gain 50lbs and a **** load of muscle and be completely right technically to be useful in 2 yrs? No. Sorry, but yall are ******* trippin.

If youre talking about a normal fat dad that works at kinkos sure that sounds ridiculous. But that happens literally all the time to athletes, that's why they're athletes. The weight gain part, not the very broad "completely technically right" part you stated. One could easily argue a 18 year old who's a sloppy 310 lbs is going to have a harder time learning technique than a lighter athletic kid. The bigger kid is going to have to fight through more conditioning problems for one, and poor conditioning always leads to mental errors and effort issues.

It's the reason teams spend so much money on S&C and nutrition...because it works.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back