8th signee is Zion Nelson

Advertisement
Dude it takes most olineman a few years to be ready to play, and you think this kid is going to be ready in 2 yrs? Come on, actually think through what you're saying.

The problem with him, is we need ELITE OLINEMAN NOW. We need to land guys like Evan Neal who have frosh all american potential. Thats what we need. Getting a bunch of guys like this is a bad plan unless you're also adding elite players or grad transfers who will start day 1.
No, what we need is guys like Hillary, Dykstra, Herbert etc to take the next step under an actual OLine coach and prove to be serviceable while we recruit the next wave.

You can't expect 18 year olds to come in and dominate in the trenches.

Advertisement
Still made freshman All-American there.

My hope is that he was playing wildly overweight, since the last staff didn’t seem to care too much of the kids put in work on their bodies or not.

Not saying this guy will amout to anything or is good, but here’s a quote from an article Bruce Feldman published yesterday

“This week when your favorite team announces its signing class, or when you hear about the four- or five-star recruit that your school did or did not get, remember this number: 2.4.
That is the average star ranking of the 15 offensive linemen voted to the Pro Bowl last year who were evaluated in the era of the recruiting star system. None of them were ranked as five-star prospects; four were four-star guys — the same number as there were zero-star players. Joe Thomas, the best offensive tackle of his era, went to 10 Pro Bowls in his 11 seasons. Thomas once was ranked as the nation’s No. 18 offensive tackle prospect. None of those 17 graded ahead of him went on to start in the NFL as tackles. From the 2015 signing class, prospects who are seniors now, Clemson’s Mitch Hyatt is the only four- or five-star O-line recruit (according to 247Sports) to make first-team all-conference.”

UH OH, the star gazers dont want to see this article, many on here rely on those nerd recruiting sites as their knowledge base. They dont want facts or excellent coaches, they only want the bag droppin recruiter types that somehow keeps reeling in all these so called "5 star" players!

No, what we need is guys like Hillary, Dykstra, Herbert etc to take the next step under an actual OLine coach and prove to be serviceable while we recruit the next wave.

You can't expect 18 year olds to come in and dominate in the trenches.
If we got Evan Neal, I would expect him to come in and play day 1

Advertisement
UH OH, the star gazers dont want to see this article, many on here rely on those nerd recruiting sites as their knowledge base. They dont want facts or excellent coaches, they only want the bag droppin recruiter types that somehow keeps reeling in all these so called "5 star" players!

I tend to think with OL ya just gotta sign a bunch of them matter the rankings, and filter thought them. Those that can't play can transfer out. The hit rate is just so low.

Symonette and Donaldson -- both 4 star OL. Symonette was an epic fail and Donaldson has proven to be very mediocre thus far.

Advertisement
He has alot of good weight to put on. No more fat al golden techniques. If all goes well he wont see the field for 2 years at least

I’m not saying anything will happen with Zion but he has really good feet, his thing is all upper body getting stronger and developing a punch. If he can do that who knows maybe he’ll be serviceable. In my opinion there’s more to like about him then the other OL commit we got.

Advertisement
The antagonism to star rankings is insane. It’s not like the odds of a 2* OL prospect making the pro bowl are better than those of a 5* kid. Probabilities still matter.

I wonder if Nelson will have a better career than Neal.
One will pack on weight and fight to keep it on the other will spend his career fighting to keep off the weight. Good thread!

We never should have been in a position where we needed to offer this young man. Zion is a Cane now. Since he's athletic and aggressive, once he adds some weight, I would try to get him some work as a blocking TE in practice and see how he does. He can get to 250 or 260 faster than 280 or 300, and we need help at the TE position. If he keeps putting on good weight without losing his mobility then maybe he reaches playing weight for a tackle.

Advertisement
Back