8th signee is Zion Nelson

Advertisement
Not saying this guy will amout to anything or is good, but here’s a quote from an article Bruce Feldman published yesterday

“This week when your favorite team announces its signing class, or when you hear about the four- or five-star recruit that your school did or did not get, remember this number: 2.4.
That is the average star ranking of the 15 offensive linemen voted to the Pro Bowl last year who were evaluated in the era of the recruiting star system. None of them were ranked as five-star prospects; four were four-star guys — the same number as there were zero-star players. Joe Thomas, the best offensive tackle of his era, went to 10 Pro Bowls in his 11 seasons. Thomas once was ranked as the nation’s No. 18 offensive tackle prospect. None of those 17 graded ahead of him went on to start in the NFL as tackles. From the 2015 signing class, prospects who are seniors now, Clemson’s Mitch Hyatt is the only four- or five-star O-line recruit (according to 247Sports) to make first-team all-conference.”

Advertisement
Not saying this guy will amout to anything or is good, but here’s a quote from an article Bruce Feldman published yesterday

“This week when your favorite team announces its signing class, or when you hear about the four- or five-star recruit that your school did or did not get, remember this number: 2.4.
That is the average star ranking of the 15 offensive linemen voted to the Pro Bowl last year who were evaluated in the era of the recruiting star system. None of them were ranked as five-star prospects; four were four-star guys — the same number as there were zero-star players. Joe Thomas, the best offensive tackle of his era, went to 10 Pro Bowls in his 11 seasons. Thomas once was ranked as the nation’s No. 18 offensive tackle prospect. None of those 17 graded ahead of him went on to start in the NFL as tackles. From the 2015 signing class, prospects who are seniors now, Clemson’s Mitch Hyatt is the only four- or five-star O-line recruit (according to 247Sports) to make first-team all-conference.”

That’s great.

What’s the average star ranking for the starting offensive linemen in the College Football playoff?

Someone should tell Bama and Clemson to drop all these 4/5 star OLinemen.

That’s great.

What’s the average star ranking for the starting offensive linemen in the College Football playoff?

Someone should tell Bama and Clemson to drop all these 4/5 star OLinemen.

Again, I'd prefer getting 4 and 5 stars. There's a reason he doesn't have 4/5 stars. Just pointing out, why Oline is different in this regard. It's all about how they develop and are coached, which is probably our biggest issue...

Advertisement
I have no faith that Searles can turn this kid into anything

Name 1 player on our OL that has improved and not regressed the last 3 years under Searles

Unbelievable that he's still employed here

1. The NFL stat is great but not really relevant. Miami plays college football. In college, the majority of blue chippers are holding down the offensive line for the top programs.

2. Regardless of how you feel about Zion, a flyer project we stole from App State that needs 40+ lbs to see the field shouldn’t be the crown jewel of your class at Tackle.

Advertisement

All that is great if you have coaches that can develope these type kids...WE DONT !!!!!

Advertisement

Hopefull fans start to come to grips with this...

The star "ranking" system is significantly skewed toward SPECULATION/POTENTIAL and not fact and already proven performance. It's nothing more than guess at the POSSIBILITY to succeed at the next level.

What matters, given most "measurables" being roughly equal (i.e. size, strength, speed, etc.), is how the asset/athlete develops amd matures over a given period of time.

For example, everyone is drooling over OL Neal. Are his measurables really that superior to the "#2-#20 ranked" OL recruiting prospects?

Of course not. What matters is the person inside and what are they prepared to do to maximize their genetic gifts.

I would trade Iowa/Iowa St entire OL for Miami's roster. Actually, let me clarify.

I would trade Iowa/Iowas St OL development program and coach for Miami's any day of the week.

Last edited:
Hopefull fans start to come to grips with this...

The star "ranking" system is significantly skewed toward speculation and not fact (e.g. proven performance).

What matters, given most "measurables" being roughly equal (i.e. size, strength, speed, etc.), is how the asset/athlete develops amd matures over a given period of time.

For example, everyone is drooling over OL Neal. Are his measurables really that superior to the "#2-#20 ranked" OL recruiting prospects?

Of course not. What matters is the person inside and what are they prepared to do to maximize their genetic gifts.

I would trade Iowa/Iowa St entire OL for Miami's roster. Actually, let me clarify.

I would trade Iowa/Iowas St OL development program and coach for Miami's any day of the week.

Exactly!!! And like @KWConch said, our biggest issue is coaching... so give me Iowa/Iowa State in a heartbeat!!!!
Olineman are a different bread, it's as much mindset as it is physical abilities and you can see that in college football and the NFL

I thought I was on the Miami Ohio board for a minute.

LOL at UM being in such a panicked state that we just signed a 240 pound OL that we had to steal from App State. Alabaga gets our 5 star legacy; we get a possession WR at OL.

His own HS coaches don't even think he's Miami material.....insanity at the **** we do.

Advertisement
Back