8th signee is Zion Nelson

We never should have been in a position where we needed to offer this young man. Zion is a Cane now. Since he's athletic and aggressive, once he adds some weight, I would try to get him some work as a blocking TE in practice and see how he does. He can get to 250 or 260 faster than 280 or 300, and we need help at the TE position. If he keeps putting on good weight without losing his mobility then maybe he reaches playing weight for a tackle.
He’s already there according to Coach Barry.

Advertisement
I tend to think with OL ya just gotta sign a bunch of them matter the rankings, and filter thought them. Those that can't play can transfer out. The hit rate is just so low.

Exactly, the recruiting strategy had to change, in fact they kind of went the art kehoe route this year, went out and got athlete's to play tackle in Zion and ELgammal, they'll be coming in with quick feet, after that itll be all technique and some more strength which is why i think this new S & C coach will do good here cause he's training based on how he explained it by position groups which is in my opinion and excellent approach! Shout out to our 2 new tackles in:

I wonder if Nelson will have a better career than Neal.
One will pack on weight and fight to keep it on the other will spend his career fighting to keep off the weight. Good thread!

Time will tell, but nelson has the right mindset tho, and once he's physically ready, the confidence will come and he'll continue to improve!

The antagonism to star rankings is insane. It’s not like the odds of a 2* OL prospect making the pro bowl are better than those of a 5* kid. Probabilities still matter.

I don't think it's so much antagonism as it is search for alternative means of success. The odds of us snagging the top 5* OL year in and year out are not exactly in our favor. Probabilities matter.

Obviously some of it is just searching for something to latch hope to because that's the reality of the situation. I don't think anyone on this board would be less than thrilled if Evan Neal signed with us.

And no I'm not at all interested in a repeat of the back and forth you, D$ and a few others had a week or so ago about lotto analogies and the sort . . .

We never should have been in a position where we needed to offer this young man. Zion is a Cane now. Since he's athletic and aggressive, once he adds some weight, I would try to get him some work as a blocking TE in practice and see how he does. He can get to 250 or 260 faster than 280 or 300, and we need help at the TE position. If he keeps putting on good weight without losing his mobility then maybe he reaches playing weight for a tackle.
"Blocking TE " is probably all he is capable of or I would think he would have played some TE in HS if he had some decent pass catching ability. His measurables are perfect for the position but probably no hands to go with the build.

Advertisement
He is already up to 263 lbs. alledgedly. Tommy Kennedy, in his 5th year weighs 285-300. Not saying he is gonna be a beast, but putting on the weight will not he an issue. He has quick feet, he will build strength. Will probably be a redshirt soph year till he makes an impact, but i think his ceiling is higher than what people give him credit for due to stars now.

I don't think it's so much antagonism as it is search for alternative means of success. The odds of us snagging the top 5* OL year in and year out are not exactly in our favor. Probabilities matter.

Obviously some of it is just searching for something to latch hope to because that's the reality of the situation. I don't think anyone on this board would be less than thrilled if Evan Neal signed with us.

And no I'm not at all interested in a repeat of the back and forth you, D$ and a few others had a week or so ago about lotto analogies and the sort . . .
There is no alternative means of success from a talent acquisitioj perspective. There is only one means. Evaluate well. Same now as ever.

Get him on that deer antler spray from bama he'll be up to 300 with a six pack in no time lol
c700x420.jpg
1474394932_das-box-bottle-mens.jpg

Advertisement
Actually like this signing. Kid has athleticism and a mean streak just needs size. With time he could be a good LT prospect

He is already up to 263 lbs. alledgedly. Tommy Kennedy, in his 5th year weighs 285-300. Not saying he is gonna be a beast, but putting on the weight will not he an issue. He has quick feet, he will build strength. Will probably be a redshirt soph year till he makes an impact, but i think his ceiling is higher than what people give him credit for due to stars now.
Source please?

Advertisement
Ed Stinson coming out of South Dade got to Alabama around 225 pounds. By his redshirt freshman year, he weighed 280 pounds.
I had a kid one year go to Miss St. Quick DE. 6'4" maybe 210 when he left us. He took a shirt freshman year. I saw him at Christmas break and he was near 240. I saw him again after his finals in May. He was 270-280. Didn't recognize him at first. He had gotten so big, he didn't look like he was 6'4" any more. Right kid, right program, and yeah, these dudes grow, Kid I'm talking about came from poverty. Best meals he was getting as kid were school lunches and when we'd hook him up. College football provided this kid an opportunity to have access to good food every day for the first time in his life.

Sounds like an alternative to acquiring only highly ranked kids. Thank you
Since when have we ever acquired only highly ranked kids? Who here suggests that is all we should do? You’re attempting to argue against something no one thinks.

Advertisement

Exactly why I said this many times ... over recruit the lines til the ship is right....while losing Tyrique , Haselwood, Crowley, Nunn, Browlee, Nunn, Emerson, etc was tough to swallow..they were not nearly as important...we have more than enough good athletes at skill to compete at a high level imo....our skill players are legit..... the trenches hurt us in big games.. Wisconsin beat us twice with "far less" talent at skill....

Last edited:
If you don’t think this kid has immense potential after watching his film, regardless of competition, you don’t watch much football.
Most of our clowns fans dont know how to watch film , what to look for, etc.

Advertisement
Back