#7 Miami at #12 UCF tonight

Except the team is succeeding. Top 10 team and was at least a top 15 team last year. Plus, 11.7 scholies puts UM at a huge disadvantage being a private school.
Not necessarily. Every school has 11.7 scholarships. Obviously, private schools cost a lot more money to attend. However, private institutions provide a lot more financial aid to their students because of the endowments they have. Students at private schools have less student debt when they graduate. I learned about this when I was researching schools for my son 2 years ago.

Advertisement
Not necessarily. Every school has 11.7 scholarships. Obviously, private schools cost a lot more money to attend. However, private institutions provide a lot more financial aid to their students because of the endowments they have. Students at private schools have less student debt when they graduate. I learned about this when I was researching schools for my son 2 years ago.

That's not really how it works though with baseball and the financial reality of a UM education. Miami does not have a large endowment. Schools like Stanford, Vandy, and USC can take advantage of what you said, because they can make it free for anyone who is under a certain income threshold to attend. That frees up the baseball coaches to use the 11.7 to almost have a full scholarship team. Vandy adds on to this by giving out a lot of merit aid so they rarely have a kid pay more than $4-5k a year.

Miami relies on tuition fees to run the school. Miami does not have the endowment to functionally make it free for anyone whose family income is less than $125-$150k to attend like a Vandy or Stanford. Miami does give out a good amount of merit aid, but baseball players have to qualify for it just like every other student. Miami does benefit some from this, it's allowed them to bring in someone like Cecconi on the equivalent of a full-ride, but there aren't that many elite baseball recruits with top 5% test scores. Neither Miami nor Vandy can just give more scholarship $ to baseball players. Vandy is a much wealthier school, so they can make it more affordable for everyone, and baseball benefits from that.

A school like Wake Forest is probably a better comparison for how Miami is financially for both regular students and baseball players

That's not really how it works though with baseball and the financial reality of a UM education. Miami does not have a large endowment. Schools like Stanford, Vandy, and USC can take advantage of what you said, because they can make it free for anyone who is under a certain income threshold to attend. That frees up the baseball coaches to use the 11.7 to almost have a full scholarship team. Vandy adds on to this by giving out a lot of merit aid so they rarely have a kid pay more than $4-5k a year.

Miami relies on tuition fees to run the school. Miami does not have the endowment to functionally make it free for anyone whose family income is less than $125-$150k to attend like a Vandy or Stanford. Miami does give out a good amount of merit aid, but baseball players have to qualify for it just like every other student. Miami does benefit some from this, it's allowed them to bring in someone like Cecconi on the equivalent of a full-ride, but there aren't that many elite baseball recruits with top 5% test scores. Neither Miami nor Vandy can just give more scholarship $ to baseball players. Vandy is a much wealthier school, so they can make it more affordable for everyone, and baseball benefits from that.

A school like Wake Forest is probably a better comparison for how Miami is financially for both regular students and baseball players
IDK what the merit money is at Miami. Schools with big money definitely provide a near free education.

You beat the tuition problem by recruiting nationally instead of staying local and allowing Perfect Game to tell you who the best players are. There are more than enough blue chip recruits who have money, grades, or both.

The team was ranked in every poll top 10 but the idiot calls fans who recognize that as "super fans". There is a reason why I have him on ignore
PUMP OUR CHEST for preseason rankings allowing us to remain in the top 10 despite getting swept by our arch rival on our home turf in front of a 3 day sell out crowd.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back